[XP] The Dimension Adventures

Started by lonely_cubone, April 29, 2010, 10:36:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lonely_cubone

April 29, 2010, 10:36:33 pm Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 05:26:38 pm by lonely_cubone

Demo: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3NWBTMFC

Spoiler: ShowHide

- From the Library of Shades, in the Shade Dimension

The Dimension Adventures follows the story of a small creature named the Little Humphis, a little blue guy who's gone from the protector of his small group of animal friends to being lost in another dimension, unable to return. His homeworld, the Zany Dimension, is full of strange creatures and characters, such as the giant orange Grasshoopers, a man named Grabnam, and talking animals. In the hundred and thirty years or so that he's been alive, the Little Humphis has led a relatively peaceful life. Twenty years or so before, Grabnam showed up with his friends Leppa the frog, Somethinf the shapeshifting cork thing, and the Ugly Toad, which provided a bit of excitement, but really not much has happened in his life up until the start of this game.

The Little Humphis is off to give Grabnam a visit at his hut, when he notices a strange, hooded man standing by a tree. He tries to have a reasonable conversation with the man, but the man, who calls himself a Shade Walker, attacks him and pulls him into a dark, dingy prison in another dimension. The Little Humphis manages to escape from his cell, and after wading through some guards, finds a man named Valerai. Valerai uses mystical powers to attempt to stop the Little Humphis, but in the end he fails and gets locked up in one of his own jail cells.

Soon afterwards, the Little Humphis finds a room full of strange crystals. He soon discovers that they are called Gatestones, and each one can take the Little Humphis to another dimension. Unfortunately, all but one of them appear to be closed somehow, so he steps through the open one and into another world. This is the true start of a grand adventure, one which draws together the most unlikely beings from across the multiverse for the most important purpose imaginable.

The Little Humphis
Homeworld: Zany Dimension
Appearance: A tiny, teal-coloured, chibi humanoid. His entire body appears to be made of spheres of varying sizes.
Personality: He is very outgoing, quirky, and childlike. However, he can be serious when he needs to, and he'll never back down from a fight if there's a good reason to be fighting in the first place.
Weapon of Choice: A pickle
Details: The Little Humphis is the main character of The Dimension Adventures. His background was discussed above, but for the entire length of the game he wanders through different dimensions using the Gatestones in the Dark Dimension's (distinctly different from the Shade Dimension) Gatestone Hall. Throughout the game, his courage and natural charisma get him out of almost any problem. He always carries his pickle with him. The only time it leaves his hand is when he's throwing it at an enemy. Eventually, he has the ability to enhance the pickle's power, so it doesn't become obsolete as a weapon.

Shade Walker
Homeworld: Shade Dimension
Appearance: A man in a dark green cloak. He has a hood over his face, which is never seen (or is it?).
Personality: He is a very serious, reserved fellow, and he has absolutely no patience for the Little Humphis and his goofiness.
Weapon of Choice: Claw Knives
Details: The Shade Walker is a deadly foe and valuable ally. He will appear many times on the Little Humphis' journey. Everything he does has a purpose, and his cunning and agility are his greatest assets. He seems to have a very important mission, but nobody knows what it is except for him and whoever sent him on it.

Ben
Homeworld: Medieval Dimension
Appearance: An ordinary-looking human boy. He has scruffy reddish-brown hair and wears an ordinary beige tunic most of the time.
Personality: He's a friendly, happy boy who gets along with other people very well. At first he doesn't respond well to things he doesn't know, which turns out to be quite the problem.
Weapon of Choice: Budd (See Below)
Details: Ben's personality is in some ways quite similar's to the Little Humphis', so they naturally get along well, but Ben has a certain aversion to things that he can't explain logically. Unfortunately for him, being taken to another world by a little blue guy with a pickle falls into this category. Eventually he gets used to the chaos he's been drawn into, enough even to use a living being as a weapon, at which point he becomes a valuable ally.

Grabnam
Homeworld: Zany Dimension
Appearance: Grabnam is an older man with wild purple hair. He wears clothing with vibrant purple, blue, and green colours.
Personality: Since he met the Little Humphis, Grabnam has gone from a little eccentric to completely insane. His thoughts and actions cannot be predicted by anyone, including him. Still, he is friendly to the Little Humphis and his animal friends.
Weapon of Choice: Staves
Details: Around twenty years before the beginning of The Dimension Adventures, Grabnam left his home on a mission to save Zibblo from the evil Gogindoodle. On the way, he met many interesting people and creatures, including the Little Humphis. When he finally saved Zibblo, he decided to leave his boring house and build a hut in the Grasshooper Hills, where he lived until the beginning  of this game. He now lives with his animal friends and the Little Humphis, and although the Little Humphis left the Zany Dimension, he and Grabnam will be reunited before long...

Evil Man
Homeworld: Unknown
Appearance: A man with a red robe, a completely bald head, and when his eyes catch the light just right, they appear to be blood red.
Personality: He's ruthless, blunt, and appears to have no emotions at all.
Weapon of Choice: His mind
Details: The Evil Man is a dangerous and obviously evil character. Nobody is sure whether or not he truly is human, but he appears to be. He runs the dungeon in which the Little Humphis was held briefly, but his sphere of influence likely goes much further than that. He is able to destroy the body and soul of someone just by thinking it.

Valerai
Homeworld: Unknown
Appearance: A young man with jet black hair. He wears a primarily black suit with red trim.
Personality: Valerai doesn't appear very often, so his personality is a mystery at first.
Weapon of Choice: Mage Shield
Details: Valerai is one of the Evil Man's elite servants. He is the final obstacle that the Little Humphis has to get through before leaving the dungeon in the Dark Dimension. He uses magical powers to create a shield around himself before attacking the Little Humphis. Once the Little Humphis defeats him, he gets locked in a jail cell.

Budd
Homeworld: Mist Dimension
Appearance: A wisp of vapor that fluctuates between different pastel blues, pinks, and greens.
Personality: Budd never says anything that the player hears (or reads), so its personality cannot truly be deciphered. However, its actions indicate that it's co-operative and helpful most of the time, and its coloration changes with its mood.
Weapon of Choice: N/A
Details: Budd is a vaporous being from behind the barrier of Last Post, a city with only a glass wall between it and a strange mist. This mist is not all alive, but there are other mist creatures like Budd in it, and not many of them are as benevolent as Budd. Budd formed a strong bond with Ben when they first met, and they are capable of communicating to each other telepathically. Budd also serves Ben as a weapon, as it floats around and inside Ben's hands most of the time. It is capable of damaging anything it touches, but never does this to Ben. Although Budd is a weapon, not an Actor, it still "levels up" whenever Ben does, increasing its damage output and special abilities.

The Elementals
Homeworld: Various
Appearance: The Elementals each look completely different, but all of them are large and in some way embody the element that they represent.
Personality: Each Elemental has his or her own distinct personality, but they are all at best self-righteous and at worst vain and selfish.
Weapon of Choice: Most Elementals do not use weapons, but attack with various body parts and magical abilities.
Details: The six Elementals are beings that are thought to be direct extensions of the will of The Order. Each Elemental represents one of the six elements; Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, Light, and Darkness. The Elementals are said to be the greatest forces of good in the multiverse. However, something about the destruction of a world seems to have had a large effect on their actions.

Kymph
Homeworld: Abyss Dimension
Appearance: A small purple imp with huge yellow eyes. When she's flying, she hangs slightly at an angle.
Personality: She's very haughty and proud. Before she met the Little Humphis, she didn't believe that anyone her size could best her in battle.
Weapon of Choice: Darts
Details: Kymph is a small but ancient demon. She has powerful black magic abilities, and uses them in combination with her darts to become a deadly warrior. Contrary to what most people expect, the demons of the Abyss Dimension are fairly neutral to the Little Humphis' group. They don't care much about any other worlds, and the Little Humphis and his friends seem harmless enough. However, Kymph seems interested in them for some reason, and the Little Humphis' actions will determine whether she becomes friend or foe.

Mr. Ghostie
Homeworld: Ether Dimension
Appearance: A floating white blob that Ben thinks resembles a ghost, thus his nickname. He has a quirky smile on his face at all times, even when he's enraged or crying.
Personality: Mr. Ghostie is very friendly, and really finds the Shade Walker interesting, much to his frustration. Some people mistake his constant smile for constant happiness, but this is not true.
Weapon of Choice: Blobs of Ether
Details: Zyl-Kak-Viirln, more commonly referred to as Mr. Ghostie, is a creature born of raw ether. He is not completely unique, but not many of his kind exist. He floats freely all over the place. He enjoys long, pointless conversations with people he's never met before. He can absorb blobs of ether into himself, and then fire them out with incredible speed. He eventually joins the Little Humphis just because it seems like fun, but soon after discovers the seriousness of the situation he's entered into.

- 17 completely different dimensions to visit, such as the Mist Dimension, the Sky Dimension, and the Dead Dimension
- 6 playable characters (7 including Budd)
- Dynamic characters and lots of plot twists
- Massive, powerful bosses
- A "New Game +" with lots of sidequests and 4 new playable characters (who aren't mentioned above)
- A side-view battle script (can't find a name on it), although since discovering this site, I've considered using Blizz-ABS instead
- Quite a few features of Tons of Add-Ons
- A few other scripts, such as one of the many environment scripts, Save File System, and Custom Stat Growing System

The Little Humphis in the Grasshooper Hills

Fighting the Shade Walker

Dimensional Teleportation

Valerai and the Evil Man

In the Dark Dimension, Colour is Nonexistant

The Gatestone Hall

Whoever made the side-view battle script I used for the screenshots
http://fojitt.com/BlankScroll.gif - For the scroll picture in the Background Story
Blizzard, for Blizz-ABS and the Party Switcher
Shining Riku, for the Little Humphis sprite (and more soon to come)
Jap Dudes, Dubealex, and Pylomorphis, for Advanced Message Script v4
Nortos, for his CMS
SephirothSpawn, Clive and Cogwheel for the slanted HP/SP/XP bars
earthnite, for the windowskins
DeathLock, for his inside a tent tileset
Me, for everything else

The Niche

You sir, are insane. High five!

Your delivery needs some work though. It took me a lot of effort to read past the storyline, but after that it was cool.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

lonely_cubone

May 01, 2010, 11:10:37 pm #2 Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 11:36:57 pm by lonely_cubone
Thanks :haha:. I agree that the writing was a bit... confusing, so I'll try to make it easier to understand.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot. *High fives*

Fantasist

Pretty slick, the story and the characters. Nice work *levels up*
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

lonely_cubone

Thanks Fantasist! Love your pic, by the way ;)

I rewrote the "Game Plot" section, and (hopefully) took out all the confusingness. Is it better now?

King_Ooga_TonTon

That's awesome. Can't wait to see how it turns out in the end!

lonely_cubone

Thanks! If you mean the plot, I do know how it's going to end, but if you mean the game as a whole, I know as much as you ;)

The Niche

You got it! Level up button, move closer!
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

lonely_cubone

Quote from: The Niche on May 06, 2010, 02:48:55 pm
You got it! Level up button, move closer!

Thanks, but what do you mean?  :O.o:

Also, at the mods, do you think, if I got a demo up, this could get moved to the main project section, or would I need more detail somewhere?

winkio

lonely_cubone

Okay, I'll get working on that :D. I'm assuming it's okay if I use RTP graphics, even though I won't be actually using some of them in the real game?

winkio

We don't have any rules against RTP graphics over here (although we do encourage people to go beyond the small limitations of them).  So yes, you are fine.

The Niche

I meant you got the plot section right.

lonely_cubone

I was referring to the "Level up button, move closer!" part :P

The Niche

I was hungover and lying on a table. Beside my laptop.

The Niche

Stranger things have happened! How's production going?

lonely_cubone

Not bad! Still looking for a spriter or two (shameless advertising: http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,6260.0.html), but the rest is coming along nicely. I should have the demo up by the end of next week, if not earlier.

The Niche

Yeah, spriters are in serious demand. CURSE YOU BLIZZ!!!!!! Only joking, I love you god!

If you're reading this and you're a spriter, join my project! (Sorry Cube!)

Shining Riku

Hey, Cubone, I can help with spriting. I may not be the best, but I think that I can help out!

Umm....How about this? What would you like me to sprite? The Little Humphis? I can send you the image after i've finished. That way you can critique my work and see if you want me working for you or not.  :haha:

BTW, I LOVE the game idea!  :D I would love to see it finished!

The Niche

I'll fight you for him! Actually Riku, do you know where m ore of your kind can be found?

Shining Riku

More willing and possibly able spriters? Dunno really.

And I can help the both of you. For now, keep the sprite requests to map sprites, I'm not that great with the larger images yet.

What do you need done?

The Niche

You're grand for the minute. But we're both abs users. Rather than having to sprite bigger picture, you'll have to do more work!

lonely_cubone

Riku, spriting the Little Humphis would be great. I don't really know how to explain what he looks like, other than what I already have, except that his head is bigger than the rest of his body, and he's overall 2/3 the height of an RTP character. Thanks, if you could sprite him! :D

The Niche

lonely_cubone

Yes Niche, definitely bobble head power ;)

Actually though, the Little Humphis and Grabnam come from an animated movie I made when I was like 12. That's where that thing in the Story Plot about Grabnam coming along with Somethinf, Leppa, and the Ugly Toad comes from. Obviously I've fleshed out the personalities of the characters since then, but their physical appearance has stayed the same. And the Little Humphis was really easy to animate when he was just a bunch of little balls, so that's actually the main reason he's physically so strange.

The Niche

BOBBLE BODY!!!

You could make him have a special attack where he nods his head really fast. And does a little dance.

lonely_cubone

That's actually a good idea. The only skills I have for him so far are throwing his pickle and singing to scare enemies away. And that sounds like the kinda thing he would do.

The Niche

Sounds like someone I'd like to meet. How about other characters though?

lonely_cubone

Well, I technically haven't said who all the playable characters are. I mentioned all of them, but didn't say which of the mentioned characters join you. So I can't really tell you their skills without giving that away. I guess I did say that Ben and Mr. Ghostie do.

Ben's only skill that he starts with is Rage. It does what you'd expect: he just runs at people and attacks them randomly with a lot of power. After you meet Budd, he gives Ben some more interesting abilities, like telekinesis (moving stuff with your mind) and creating powerful equipment for other characters.

Honestly, I have no idea what Mr. Ghostie's skills are yet. He's the last character you get, and probably the least developed, so I don't know much about him at all. :P

If anyone can guess all 3 of the other playable characters (Budd does not count), I will send them a copy of the demo before I post it here.

The Niche

http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,38451.0.html
That's a tutorial I'm currently working my way through on making psionics.

I'm going to hazard a guess that Grabnam is playable since you mention him a lot. You also mention that the Shade Walker is a valuable ally. Last one, I'm gonna go with Kymph because she appears to be a love interest  :P, but for a suggestion, it'd make an interesting character development if you made one of your villains playable. I'm hoping you know this already, but I haven't seen any suggestion of it, so VILLAINS ARE PEOPLE TOO!! There is no "ultimate completely evil darkness god of death who really really wants to kill you. Rest of you, burn those last two sentences into your foreheads so you remember every time you look in the mirror.

lonely_cubone

Not surprisingly, you got all 3 :^_^':. I wasn't thinking of Kymph as a love interest, but it's a good idea. Whose love interest were you thinking of? And don't worry, the Shade Walker, who does have a name, becomes less and less evil each time you see him, basically. You discover his true intentions for being in the Zany Dimension in the first place, and eventually you help him finish what he started. And when you get back to the Zany Dimension (not at all the end of the game), Grabnam ends up joining you.

Anyways, I should be done the demo in a day or 2, and now I guess I'll have to send it to the Niche before I post it, but it'll definitely be posted by the end of the week.

By all means take your time, but Shining Riku, how's the Little Humphis sprite coming? Are you still planning on making it? Just wondering, it's fine if you haven't started yet.

Shining Riku

I've been procrastinating D8

Um, are there any distinct features on the Little Humphis I should know about? I dunno if he has eyes or a nose, and stuff like that XD

The Niche

I attribute it to my genius.  :haha:
And about Kymph, the little humphis, on account of you mentioning him in her description. The way it goes in rpgs, as far as I know.  You also mention that meeting him changes her. If that ain't suggestive, I don't know what is :D

Wait a second. I get the first copy of the demo? WHOOOYEAH!!

lonely_cubone

May 11, 2010, 06:22:38 pm #34 Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 06:26:15 pm by lonely_cubone
@Riku: Um, no nose or ears, but he has 2 eyes, and a mouth. No fingers or toes either, but he still holds a pickle in his left hand. Thanks again for doing this!

@Niche: Yep, and it's almost done. I'll pm you a link when I finish, which should be tomorrow at the latest. Also, that's an interesting idea, having something between Kymph and the Little Humphis. Then again, the Little Humphis seems too childlike to have a romantic relationship. Maybe the Shade Walker... :huh:

The Niche

Lemme see. A demon has a relationship with...as far as I can tell, a hooded cloak? But you're forgetting something. Kymph could actually change the little humphis as well as him changing her. How the hell can you nearly have a demo done already?! I'm nowhere near that stage and I've been working on EWIII for at least three months.

lonely_cubone

No, there's definitely somebody underneath the cloak, and he's pretty much human. He actually has quite an in-depth character, I just didn't say much about him because when I made the first post, I didn't want to give away the fact that he's a good guy. And it's true, the Little Humphis does change and I guess mature over the course of the game, but you meet Kymph quite early, so maybe that could happen a while after they meet. Hey, since Kymph is the only girl in the party, maybe the Little Humphis and the Shade Walker could fight over her. But that might be kinda weird, too.

Technically, I've been working on this game for at least 2 years. I've started making it at least 5 times, and each time it's better than the last one, but then I stop for a while and when I come back to it, I start a new one. But since I've posted all this stuff on this forum, I think (and hope) I'll actually finish this version. So yeah, I've got a bit of a head start. Don't worry, you'll probably be ready to make a demo pretty soon, even if it doesn't have all the final sprites and music and stuff, which mine definitely won't.

The Niche

And yet you go and tell us all about him  :P. From what I gather, the shade walker is a bit serious for a relationship. Your choice of course. And I shall upload some more pics soon.

Shining Riku

May 12, 2010, 11:45:02 am #38 Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:21:29 pm by Shining Riku
Ok, thanks for the details lonely_cubone! I'll try having him finished today.

EDIT:

I know he doesn't have a pickle yet, but I just wanted you to see how he looks.

Does he always carry the pickle in hand? or is it just a weapon he whacks stuff with? I guess it doesn't matter
but I just wanna make sure i'm doing everything right ^_^

lonely_cubone

That's pretty good. The colour's off though, he's supposed to be more turquoise-coloured. And try to make the different spheres just slightly more connected, with the shading. Other than that, it looks great.

The Niche

And you say you're only semi-good... I think you shoul be professor of spriting!

Shining Riku

May 12, 2010, 04:44:38 pm #41 Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 04:51:30 pm by Shining Riku
Aww thanks...but there's plenty better than me out there. They just aren't for hire @_@

when it comes to characters like the RTP ones, I'm best at editing those. I'm no good at doing humans from scratch. Still workin' on the spriting skills

@Cubone: Ok, the turquoise is really easy to do, that edit will take like five seconds. About the ball spacing, do you mean you want them farther apart? I made him as short as he is because I remember you saying he was 2/3 RTP character size and tried keeping him that way. Changing the spacing would significantly raise his height, probably to RTP size. If you really want me to do it though then I have no problem ^_^

He'll just be real tall @_@

EDIT:

Is he teal enough?  :(
If not then i'll gladly fix him again. I wanna get him right XD

lonely_cubone

No, I don't mean changing the spacing, I mean kind of blending the balls together where they touch. And maybe a little bit more green. But yeah, it's really good. I think you're the best spriter either of us is going to find. I'd really appreciate it if you could help me with some of the other sprites, too.

G_G

Quote from: lonely_cubone on May 12, 2010, 05:01:58 pm
I mean kind of blending the balls together where they touch. And maybe a little bit more green.

Thats what she said!

Sorry xD Anyways nice sprite.
Also when can we expect a demo, it looks interesting.

Shining Riku

May 12, 2010, 07:42:37 pm #44 Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:01:30 pm by Shining Riku
Sure thing! I'll definitely help with more sprites! ^_^

Name some targets for me and i'll get busy!  :D
I do abstract stuff fastest, like The Little Humphis, normal people, well, it depends XD

I'll take any request but real weird monsters for now. I have trouble with detail and shading on stuff like that lol. I don't think any of your characters fit THAT extreme category so you're fine ^_^

I'll go ahead and fix The Little Humphis' color, but the blending of the joints and stuff may take awhile to get it right, I have a game project myself that I work on almost all the time and i'm easily distracted by it lol XD

Ok! I'm off to finish the recoloring, and i'll post the next sprite sheet up soon as I finish with him!

EDIT:
Too much? Too little? Too bright?

Sorry for takin' so much time to get him right XD

lonely_cubone

May 12, 2010, 09:16:33 pm #45 Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 09:23:19 pm by lonely_cubone
Right colour, too bright. But don't worry about it, you're doing this purely for my benefit, and I really appreciate the help. Take as long as you like.

Quote from: game_guy on May 12, 2010, 06:23:15 pm
Quote from: lonely_cubone on May 12, 2010, 05:01:58 pm
I mean kind of blending the balls together where they touch. And maybe a little bit more green.

Thats what she said!

Sorry xD Anyways nice sprite.
Also when can we expect a demo, it looks interesting.

The demo should be done quite soon, but like I said, I have to send it to the Niche first, because of that deal I made :P

Shining Riku

Okie dokie, i'll redo the sprite again  :D

I'm glad I finally got the color right!  :up:
I'll have the brightness fixed tomorrow if that's alright. I don't mind the extra work really. It gives me practice and that's always a good thing.

Which characters would you like me to do next?  :naughty:

The Niche

Haha! I shall restrict your demo access! Riku, if you prefer doing monsters, you're probably my ideal spriter.

SBR*

Looks nice!  :haha: The only thing that keeps me from playing it is the fact that it doesn't use an ABS...  :^_^': ABS's FTW!

The Niche

Speaking of which, Cube have you decided about using Blizz?

lonely_cubone

Quote from: The Niche on May 13, 2010, 06:44:49 am
Speaking of which, Cube have you decided about using Blizz?

Yep. I've decided I am using Blizz-ABS.

Quote from: Shining Riku on May 12, 2010, 11:59:18 pm
Okie dokie, i'll redo the sprite again  :D

I'm glad I finally got the color right!  :up:
I'll have the brightness fixed tomorrow if that's alright. I don't mind the extra work really. It gives me practice and that's always a good thing.

Which characters would you like me to do next?  :naughty:

Tomorrow sounds great. I'm excited to see what'll probably be the final version of the sprite.
Hmmm, I guess the next thing I'll need is Ben with Budd around his hands. Obviously you'll need the sprite of Ben before you can do that, so I'll get it as soon as I can.

SBR*

Oehhhhhh, an ABS! MEMEMEME! IWANNAPLAYIWANNAPLAYIWANNAPLAY!1!111!11!one! TIS GAM'S GONA BE P0WNZ0RS! *says more noobish sentences*

Shining Riku

Hey Niche? I was trying to say earlier I can't do monsters that well @_@ If you want a giant flying dragon serpent from scratch for example, I am not your guy. At least not yet XD

I'll have The Little Humphis up again soon, and after that I'll start working on Ben and Budd.
I saw the RTP sprite you were using for Ben. He fit your description pretty well XD
Will you be spriting Ben then?  :???:

The Niche

Actually, the sprite I was thinking of is rather boximacal. I think I has a way of doing sprites now then.

Shining Riku

Niche, if ya need me to do a boxy monster, I probably can. If it has lots of hair or horns, or extra stuff like that that's the kind of stuff that gives me trouble.

Need me to do a sprite for ya too? :3

The Niche

Shining Riku

Ok Cubone! ^_^ I darkened The Little Humphis some, I hope it's good.

Should I wait for you to sprite Ben first, or do you want me to do that?

lonely_cubone

No, I can do Ben, I'm not using RTP people anyways. The Little Humphis looks awesome. The only problem is, the legs that are behind look way too dark. Make them a bit lighter, and add the pickle, and he'll be absolutely perfect!

Shining Riku

Yay! I'm glad i'm close to finishing with him  :D

Since you're using ABS do you want me to do his attack stances and stuff too? I have a game that's using Blizz ABS so I know how to do those types of sheets too.
Once I finish the pickle i'll show it to you before adding it to the sheet. The Little Humphis ALWAYS carries it around correct? No bottomless pockets like Link in the Legend of Zelda?  :ninja:

lonely_cubone

Nope, he always carries it. And actually, attack, defend, and run sprites would be really helpful. Thanks again for all this help! :D

Shining Riku

Alrighty, I brightened his limbs so they wouldn't be so dark.

I think it's enough, but just in case if it isn't I'll have it right the next time for sure.
I'll also have that pickle done soon too.

Just a few questions, Does he use his pickle as a sword, spear, boomerang, or what? XD It'll help me get his attack position right  :D Also, what type of stance does he take while defending and if you could describe how he runs as well (if he has a unique way of doing it) it would help me out so much!  :haha:

Now that I have the coloring and everything down pat, doing the rest of his stances should be easy now

Subsonic_Noise

...Am I allowed to give constructive criticism here?

Shining Riku

May 13, 2010, 08:56:04 pm #62 Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 09:11:32 pm by Shining Riku
Yes.

What'd I mess up?

EDIT: I would like to know what you have in mind :< I do wnat to be better as a spriter but I'm pretty sure I said before i'm no pro at spriting

Subsonic_Noise

Nah, you didn't mess up. I just want to help you improve this ^^
First off, I would desaturate the colour a bit. Cubone seemed to wanted it like this, but the colour right now looks unnatural and hurts my eyes a bit. So I'd suggest to desaturate it and make it a very little bit darker. You might want to experiment with this a bit.
The second problem is, it looks a bit boring. I have multiple suggestions to fix that. First, you might try changing his pose a bit, maybe make him have a bit of a hunchback (try around with it - it might look good) then, play with the shading and get rid of that pillow-style - it's generally a thing to avoid.
Then, perhaps add some darker features or blend the single blobs into each other to make them look less separated. Last but not least, try making the head less like a perfect circle (again, you'd need to experiment here) and try what it looks like when you move the eyes down one pixel.

That's all I can think of now. It's 3am after all.

lonely_cubone

Thanks Subsonic_Noise, I agree with most of what you said. However, I do want his head to be a perfect circle. Riku, everything else he said is a good idea. Also, the limbs are still a tiny bit too dark.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: lonely_cubone on May 14, 2010, 08:40:48 am
However, I do want his head to be a perfect circle. 

Think about perspective. It's not direct front view, isn't it?

lonely_cubone

May 14, 2010, 09:08:13 am #66 Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 10:35:43 am by lonely_cubone
His head's a sphere. No matter how you look at a sphere, it'll be a circle. I do realize that most people's heads are not spheres, but the Little Humphis' head is.

King_Ooga_TonTon

Wow, this is awesome. Good to see Cube's project coming together so nicely. Makes me want to start up my own!  :naughty:

lonely_cubone

Thanks TonTon! You should put one of your games up here. I'm sure you've got at least one that you've been working on enough to make a topic. :)

By the way people, I'm going away for a week, starting tomorrow morning, and I'll be on a boat on the ocean (so no internet, obviously). So don't expect any updates until I get back on Friday. I know there are people who've been waiting for a demo, and I apologize to them, since the demo won't be done by then. :(

The Niche

CUrse you Cube! Curse you and your maritime adventures! And don't forget your packed lunch!

lonely_cubone

I'm back everyone! I'll be working on this quite a bit this weekend, so I should have the demo up soon (really this time).

Shining Riku

Hey there Cube! Good to see you're back

need me to do any spriting at the moment?

lonely_cubone

For now, just the fully finished Little Humphis. After that, do you think you could help me with some sprites for another game?

SBR*

Quote from: lonely_cubone on May 22, 2010, 03:24:53 pm
For now, just the fully finished Little Humphis. After that, do you think you could help me with some sprites for another game?

No, he has to work on the tutorials first, RIGHT RIKU  >:(?!

The Niche

AND BOXSAW!!!  :D Where've you been, Riku?
Cubone, how's progress going?

Shining Riku

Ok, so close to being finished! (with The Little Humphis)

My last questions about him are:

1#: What hand does he hold his pickle in?

2# Should Le Pickle dangle towards the ground or be held up kinda like a knife?

@Niche: I'm sorry @_@ I've been slacking and I should be shot ded. Well, not slacking on my game but anyways...
@SBR*: I'll put some more thought into my tutorials while i'm doing my catch-up work here. I'm really fast at whipping up events, so my tutorial will be done pretty fast once I've got all my ideas down for what to teach people.
@Cubone: Sure, what game do you need me to work on? is there a topic to link me to?

The Niche

Quote from: Shining Riku on May 22, 2010, 08:42:16 pm
Ok, so close to being finished! (with The Little Humphis)

My last questions about him are:

1#: What hand does he hold his pickle in?

2# Should Le Pickle dangle towards the ground or be held up kinda like a knife?

@Niche: I'm sorry @_@ I've been slacking and I should be shot ded. Well, not slacking on my game but anyways...
@SBR*: I'll put some more thought into my tutorials while i'm doing my catch-up work here. I'm really fast at whipping up events, so my tutorial will be done pretty fast once I've got all my ideas down for what to teach people.
@Cubone: Sure, what game do you need me to work on? is there a topic to link me to?

Dangling pickle? You sir, just got levelled!!

lonely_cubone

May 23, 2010, 09:36:25 am #77 Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:55:27 am by lonely_cubone
I'm kind of having trouble getting the battles to feel right. If you just stand beside an enemy and mash the attack button, nothing can hit you unless there's a big group, and then it's really easy to kill everything. I know Blizz-ABS has great AI capabilities, but I don't know what I should do to get rid of this button-mashing battling.

@Riku: The Little Humphis does not have a dangling pickle, he holds it like a knife, in his left hand. And I haven't made a topic for the other game yet, I'm not even a quarter of the way through planning it, but I'll probably need your help with it eventually. And it will involve some slightly bigger character sprites (like around 128*128ish per frame). Is that too big?

Shining Riku

May 23, 2010, 11:57:22 am #78 Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 12:25:41 pm by Shining Riku
Sorry about the dangling pickle thing. Why is it everybody misinterprets what I say? ^.^U I'm serious cannon fodder for those kinds of comments XD

I've done much bigger than 128x128 and done fine Cube, so no problem there! :D I'll post a finished pic of Humphis very soon ^_^

EDIT:

Here he is. Um..I tested it and his up/down walking sprites looked strange cuz of how he was holding the pickle and all, but what do you think? :huh:

The Niche

If it gets you levelled, why bother?
And that looks nice. But also crazy. Well done, Riku.

Shining Riku

Thanks Niche! :D

I'll get started on Boxsaw today. I'm sorry for the slowness, i'm...just not the best spriter as far as getting requests out goes. Nobody to blame for that but myself

The Niche

Don't worry about it. My methods might help your speed, but I'm only semi-capable so I dunno...

lonely_cubone

May 23, 2010, 05:56:09 pm #82 Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 05:58:00 pm by lonely_cubone
Okay, the pickle is a bit too big, but other than that, the sprite is perfect. The pickle should be, at most, as long as his legs. It's okay if the pickle is kind of subtle and hard to notice. I kind of feel bad sending you back so many times, but I'd really like it if the main character looked just right. Thanks again for all your help! I think you should get a level-up for all the work you've put into this :D

Shining Riku

Thanks Cube! :D

No problem about sendin' me back so much. I'd do it to me too if I weren't reaching the mark.

I'm glad that I've finally gotten so close to getting him finished though :3

Shining Riku

Hey Cube, you doin ok over there? Haven't heard from you in a bit

SBR*

*goes to google translation*
Ah, so that's a pickle. I thought it was some kind of mine tool  :^_^':.

Shining Riku

I just noticed somebody leveled me down.

That just made my day.

SBR*

Quote from: Shining Riku on May 26, 2010, 02:40:04 pm
I just noticed somebody leveled me down.

That just made my day.

People continuesly level me up and down. I always return to 0 :P.

lonely_cubone

Quote from: Shining Riku on May 26, 2010, 02:18:44 pm
Hey Cube, you doin ok over there? Haven't heard from you in a bit

Yeah, I just haven't been working on this all that much. I've been focusing more on a different game I'm making with Game Maker. (If you don't know, that's a different, IMO much more versatile, game making software. I've been using it for about 6 years now, whereas I've been using RMXP for about 3 years). Don't worry though, I'm still working on this, and the demo should be out soon (I know I keep saying that, but I really will get it done as soon as I can get myself to make it).

Quote from: SBR* on May 26, 2010, 03:43:40 pm
People continuesly level me up and down. I always return to 0 :P.

Me too. I think my level was up to 5 or 6 once. I don't even know or care what it is now :P

Shining Riku

Game maker? Cool! I know exactly what you're talking about :D It's fun to use.

I was trying to make a Metroid game with it, made the engine and everything but still had some kinks to fix, and had this other test game I was making but......my computer refuses to let it work now >_<

Dunno why it won't work....but it's a lot of fun. Game Maker rocks ^_^ (uses Game Maker 7)

lonely_cubone

Yeah, it's awesome. I used to use GM7, but I got a virus and had to wipe my computer a while ago, and now I can only find GM8 for download. And you have to pay again to register it, and I haven't yet, so I can't do much with it at the moment.

Back on topic, I'm working on this a bit more now, so I hope it'll be done by the end of the weekend.

Shining Riku

Lol ok :D

Wouldn't you know I got a virus on my comp too. Maybe that's what conked the GM7 *shrugs*

At least I hadn't bought it yet or anything. Um, is GM8 easier to use compared to GM7? I didn't know a version 8 was out yet. I've been too busy with RPG maker XP to care about any other game making programs  :^_^':

lonely_cubone

May 27, 2010, 07:07:02 pm #92 Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 07:51:51 pm by lonely_cubone
It's pretty much the same. The sprite editor's completely redone, and there are generally some new features everywhere, but it's only a slightly bigger change than that between versions 6 and 7 (if you ever used 6).

EDIT: Hey Riku, how's the Little Humphis coming? I'm not in any hurry, I'm just curious how the sprite's coming along.

Shining Riku

May 28, 2010, 10:07:45 pm #93 Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:28:19 pm by Shining Riku
I've been slacking again @_@ *gets shot*
I'll go ahead and fix him

EDIT: Hope this is good

lonely_cubone

That's PERFECT! I've already put it into the game, and it looks great! Thank you SO much for putting all this time into my one sprite. I'll obviously give you some pretty major credit in the game.

Shining Riku

83 I'm glad you like my work! :D

Now that I know exactly what to do with him, I can provide attacking and defending sheets if you like, I'll just need to know how he's supposed to carry out the actions, and also if you're using Random Action Sprites for BABS.

I'm using it in my R U INSANE game for people's basic weapon attacks and it makes the fights really fun :D

Anyways, I'll gladly make more action sheets for you, i'll just need descriptions :D

SBR*

Ah, GM! I made an engine for any game maker game a while ago. Not completed yet. You can have a demo of it if you PM me. But please don't use it yet :P. Oh, and I consistently spelled 'missile' wrong in the engine. I spelled it like 'missisle' or something...

OT: Looks nice, the sprite!

Shining Riku

A Metroid game engine? I appreciate it, but I made my own...

GM just doesn't work on my comp right now. Half the fun of having GM is making stuff yourself.

I had the game set up like, say Metroid Fusion for example, but had more of a custom Metroid Prime HUD complete with an expandable ammo tank for weapons, missile reserves, you name it. All of which could be expanded with expansions. I also had five beams, the space jump, morph ball, directional shooting, morph ball bombs, bomb jumping, and a new toy I made called the Gravity ball that let Samus float over gaps while in Morph ball mode.

Things were working pretty good, her space jump was the only issue I needed to fix, really. Oh, I also had charge beams. No beam combos yet though 8<

SBR*

Uhh... Wow... I meant something like a platformer engine, with a few skills, such as a super far jump when you're in the air, a 'floating' skill which makes you go down slower and a hyper jump skill. It also includes some enemies with jump-on-head-to-kill-but-touching-any-other-side-kills-you functions. I don't even have the bought version. Can't find any serials for it :(. Really, I'm not going to pay to make a 3d game  >:(. Who do you think I am, Santaclause?

lonely_cubone

Quote from: Shining Riku on May 29, 2010, 12:10:53 pm
83 I'm glad you like my work! :D

Now that I know exactly what to do with him, I can provide attacking and defending sheets if you like, I'll just need to know how he's supposed to carry out the actions, and also if you're using Random Action Sprites for BABS.

I'm using it in my R U INSANE game for people's basic weapon attacks and it makes the fights really fun :D

Anyways, I'll gladly make more action sheets for you, i'll just need descriptions :D

If you could do attack, defend, and skill, that'd be awesome. For attack, he would just swing the pickle in a horizontal arc in front of him. For defend, he would hold the pickle diagonally in front of him, blocking with it. For skill, he would kind of lower his arms, letting the pickle point downwards, and look up slightly. If you need more detail, or want to modify any of these a little bit, that would be extremely helpful.

Quote from: SBR* on May 29, 2010, 12:53:38 pm
Ah, GM! I made an engine for any game maker game a while ago. Not completed yet. You can have a demo of it if you PM me. But please don't use it yet :P. Oh, and I consistently spelled 'missile' wrong in the engine. I spelled it like 'missisle' or something...

OT: Looks nice, the sprite!

Thanks, but I prefer to make my own engines. It usually takes me forever to debug them, but I find that more fun than making all the levels, sprites, and individual enemies. Thank you for the offer, though :D

The Niche

He points his pickle downwards and looks up. His right hand moves up and down the pickle, building up to a crescendo...
HE CASTS WHITE STICKY FLUID!!

SBR*

Quote from: The Niche on May 29, 2010, 03:47:35 pm
He points his pickle downwards and looks up. His right hand moves up and down the pickle, building up to a crescendo...

DISGUSTING!

lonely_cubone

Quote from: The Niche on May 29, 2010, 03:47:35 pm

That's only one of his skills :V:

The Niche

Levels up Cubone for inflating his ego.

The Niche

lonely_cubone

May 30, 2010, 03:47:18 pm #106 Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 08:31:08 am by lonely_cubone
Oh, got it :haha:

The demo's extremely close to being finished. I'm going to have to send it to the Niche first, like I promised, but I'll have it uploaded here by tomorrow morning (mountain time).

EDIT: The demo's finally done! I'll upload it tomorrow morning, like I said.

EDIT 2: Okay, I've given the Niche plenty of time, I'm putting the demo up right now.

Shining Riku

Tried uploading. It said the file was temporarily unavailable  :'(

lonely_cubone

It keeps doing that. If you check again, it should work. I'll see if I can get a more reliable link up. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Shining Riku

June 01, 2010, 02:25:36 pm #109 Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 03:33:01 pm by Shining Riku
Yay the download link is working! :D

I'll come back later with my experience after tryin your demo.

I'm not the greatest mapper, but maybe I can provide advice on other stuff if you like. I'm getting really good at making trippy bosses now, so if you have any ideas you feel you aren't able to make work, just ask me and i'll see if I can't get them to work :D

EDIT: Played it all the way through. Forgot to fight the monster chest, so I never beat it, but so far this looks really promising!

I played with the keyboard and couldn't find the minimap, so I dunno if you intend for that to ve a feature or not lol. You may want to introduce people to the menu button and item buttons as well so they know where to find them.

Spoilers below! This is for Cubone unless you wanna spoil yourself @_@
I thought the boss was good, he's definitely gonna be difficult to battle without certain items. I noticed one issue though that I feel should be pointed out. My first try, I skipped the battle with the boss by accident and went right to the jail cell where Valerai gets locked up. By doing this I skipped the battle and got out of the castle area easily. I'd suggest that you set the event up in the jail cell to not play unless a switch is turned on, and this switch be turned on by defeating Valerai in his Death Code.

If you have any questions, let me know! ^_^

I think you're doing a swell job on this game so far. It has a nice difficulty to it. Just try to find a way to introduce people to all the buttons that they'll be using and other than the bug in the cutscene I found, everything looks great! It was really fun to play and I hope I can continue helping out :D
-Shining Riku-

lonely_cubone

Quote from: Shining Riku on June 01, 2010, 02:25:36 pm
Played it all the way through. Forgot to fight the monster chest, so I never beat it, but so far this looks really promising!

I played with the keyboard and couldn't find the minimap, so I dunno if you intend for that to ve a feature or not lol. You may want to introduce people to the menu button and item buttons as well so they know where to find them.

Spoilers below! This is for Cubone unless you wanna spoil yourself @_@
I thought the boss was good, he's definitely gonna be difficult to battle without certain items. I noticed one issue though that I feel should be pointed out. My first try, I skipped the battle with the boss by accident and went right to the jail cell where Valerai gets locked up. By doing this I skipped the battle and got out of the castle area easily. I'd suggest that you set the event up in the jail cell to not play unless a switch is turned on, and this switch be turned on by defeating Valerai in his Death Code.

If you have any questions, let me know! ^_^

I think you're doing a swell job on this game so far. It has a nice difficulty to it. Just try to find a way to introduce people to all the buttons that they'll be using and other than the bug in the cutscene I found, everything looks great! It was really fun to play and I hope I can continue helping out :D
-Shining Riku-

First of all, thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was intentional to not have the mini-map, I'm not using that feature. And yeah, especially since all the Blizz-ABS menus and controls are confusing to someone who's never seen them before, I should explain it all at the beginning.

About your spoiler:
Thanks, I got the idea for it when I made one of the first versions of this game (it used the default battle system :P). I thought it might be difficult to translate it over, and although it doesn't work exactly like it used to (before Valerai would always raise his shield if it was down, making it a battle of your HP and items vs. his MP), it kind of seems more realistic this way. I use a single variable for all plot cutscenes (meaning you have to watch them in a specific order), so I can easily use that to get rid of the Valerai cutscene glitch. Thanks for pointing it out, by the way.

Also, if you run out of Shatter Missiles, you can find a couple more in the brown box on the left side of the room. They are only in there if you have none, so it still makes it more difficult if you didn't get the other ones. That way, you can't truly run out of them, as long as you know where to find them (which I know you probably won't, that's the point).

Shining Riku

I'm glad i'm helping ^_^

Honestly I think this game was made for BABS XD I think it fits better than the default battle system. That's just me though. I think not having the minimap will also help the game to be harder so that's awesome :D

Um, just wondering, will running, jumping, and sneaking be options in the game? Just curious.

Just a few more comments about the game, Love the dialogue! It's really silly, and I like it. 'Specially how The Little Humphis talks to his pickle XD It makes things interesting

Um, don't have much else to say really :3 I just like the game!

My next task is to make the Humphis' attack, skill, and defending sprites then yes? I'll get started on those real soon

lonely_cubone

Yeah, when I saw Blizz-ABS, the first thing I thought of was "I have to start making the Dimension Adventures again, and use that script."

Oh, I forgot about the attack, skill, and defend sprites! If you could, please do those before the one I mentioned in the message. And only running is used. Jumping and sneaking are not. I'm just going to use the walking sprite for running though, so I don't need a sprite for it. And thanks again for the compliments!

Shining Riku

No problem! ^_^

I'll do the attack, skill, and defend sprites then.

BTW, The Little Humphis' Humphis Song skill made me double over in laughter when I first heard it XDDDD

SOOOO funny! (does it lower defense?)

lonely_cubone

Quote from: Shining Riku on June 01, 2010, 07:58:40 pm
No problem! ^_^

I'll do the attack, skill, and defend sprites then.

BTW, The Little Humphis' Humphis Song skill made me double over in laughter when I first heard it XDDDD

SOOOO funny! (does it lower defense?)

Thanks! :D
No, it makes enemies run away. And I recorded my voice doing that when I was 11, and then doubled the pitch. I saved the sound file, and now I've used it in every version of the Dimension Adventures I've ever even started to make.

Shining Riku

June 01, 2010, 08:57:37 pm #115 Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 08:59:18 pm by Shining Riku
That's awesome, really :D
I think the voice fits The Little Humphis perfectly, if ya know what I mean.

Since you're using the new version of BABS, is there a state for making enemies run away or something? Lol I was just wondering, cuz the making enemies run away thingy is pretty cool

BTW I made edits of the two types of soldiers for attacking and defending if you want those :D
The guys with the more elaborate armor, I made them use spears, and the more common soldiers in your game, I got sprites of them using swords. Interested?

lonely_cubone

Quote from: Shining Riku on June 01, 2010, 08:57:37 pm
Since you're using the new version of BABS, is there a state for making enemies run away or something? Lol I was just wondering, cuz the making enemies run away thingy is pretty cool

No, I evented that. It was actually quite simple, once I figured out the syntax for the scriptlets **wishes he knew more RGSS**

Quote from: Shining Riku on June 01, 2010, 08:57:37 pm
BTW I made edits of the two types of soldiers for attacking and defending if you want those :D
The guys with the more elaborate armor, I made them use spears, and the more common soldiers in your game, I got sprites of them using swords. Interested?

Yes please, that sounds really helpful! :D

Shining Riku

I think i'll send you a zipped folder with all the stuff inside it. That way instead of posting everything here as a picture I can just send the stuff directly to you.

Are there any other types of badguys that you'll be needing? Like, archers for example. I don't have any archers or axe wielders yet but since i'll be making these for myself, just let me know if you'd like to use them too ^_^

Do you want the sprites really soon, or would you rather me show 'em to you first? I only suggested the zipped folder 'cuz once I got a bunch of stuff for you I can get it to you in bulk

lonely_cubone

June 02, 2010, 08:44:29 am #118 Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 09:16:58 am by lonely_cubone
Yeah, you might as well send it all at once. And you might as well send me the archers and axe wielders once you have them, if you're already going to make them. I don't know if I'll use them, but I might be able to.

Hey mods, do you think this is ready to get moved out of the New Projects section?

SBR*

*wishes he was a mod so he could transfer it to the projects section*

BTW, how long is the demo? And is there a function to move the demo save files to the game? I guess I can simply do that by transferring the .rxdata files for save data, but don't change the old maps and switches then, 'cuz I don't want to play a demo for 30 mins, then do it again in the real game :D.

The Niche

Um...
HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET OUT OF THE JAIL CELL?!

...Awesome powers don't appear to be functioning correctly. Or at all. I shall play Lexima some more!

lonely_cubone

Quote from: The Niche on June 02, 2010, 01:59:31 pm
Um...
HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET OUT OF THE JAIL CELL?!

...Awesome powers don't appear to be functioning correctly. Or at all. I shall play Lexima some more!

If you want to figure this out by yourself (it is tricky), then don't look at this.
There's a tunnel hidden in the bottom left corner of the cell. I know, I could have made it more obvious. There is technically a hint, but it's just as hard to find as the tunnel. I'll add another one so the players don't all get stuck right at the beginning of the game.

The Niche

I feel deflated. For a hint, you could try pointing him in that direction, maybe even taking a step that way. Or, if you wanted it to be an easy puzzle, you could have a rat scurry out of there once in a while. Sorry, that's not actually that obvious. Have him say something like, I get the feeling there's a tunnel here. Then have the rat come out (on autorun) so that he player has to notice. Then have the ra run away or something.

lonely_cubone

What I currently have as a hint is a note written on the wall, telling him to "look south for a way out". I could just say something like "Hey pickle, there's something written on the wall over there!" so the player finds it, and then it's easy to find the tunnel.

Oh, and nobody's commented on my music, which I wrote myself? What do you think, guys? Great? Physically painful to listen to?

Shining Riku

Lol sorry about not commenting on the music XD it slipped my mind  :shy:

For some reason the music it plays right at the beginning of the game makes me wanna laugh. It's really funny stuff. I think it's the Grasshopper Hills music?

I think it fits the game great, the music. Excellent work! I can think up music, but getting it to work is a whole 'nother story.

Also, random comment, I looked at the blizz abs manual and I think I figured out how you got the enemies to run away when you use the song, lol

lonely_cubone

Quote from: Shining Riku on June 02, 2010, 08:14:51 pm
Lol sorry about not commenting on the music XD it slipped my mind  :shy:

For some reason the music it plays right at the beginning of the game makes me wanna laugh. It's really funny stuff. I think it's the Grasshopper Hills music?

I think it fits the game great, the music. Excellent work! I can think up music, but getting it to work is a whole 'nother story.

Also, random comment, I looked at the blizz abs manual and I think I figured out how you got the enemies to run away when you use the song, lol

Thanks! I was worried people wouldn't like it, since I don't actually have any formal music theory training, and I just kinda made random stuff until it sounded okay. I also did some stuff that was kinda unusual, like writing the Dark Jail music in 9/8 time, and I didn't know how it would sound to non-prejudiced ears. And yes, that music is the Grasshooper Hills (not Grasshopper, they're completely different animals) music. That specific music only plays when you go there at the beginning, but when you go back later, there's a slightly more serious-sounding version of it.

Yeah, it wasn't too hard, it's just forcing an action on all enemies with a status, which I gave them with the skill, and then getting rid of the status.

Shining Riku

If it's alright with you i'd love to see how the event code looks, it might help me think of a few tricks of my own in the future lol. I'm the sort that needs to see stuff to understand it, i'm the 100% hands-on experience sorta person. I learn best that way :p

Random: Anybody here played a game called Chrono Trigger?

Magus

I have to say there are some concepts I like about this game and there are some concepts I do not like about it. Also, is it me, or do I make my games too easy? Because when I fought that chest, (which I lost.. and was so pissed that clicked the file off) he was damaging me too heavy. Sitting there and defending all day isn't much of an option meh :/

I'm kinda thankful that I did my boss methods a lot different. And using teleportation (don't ask, it is possible xD)
LEVEL ME DOWN. THE ANTI-BLIZZ GROUP IS AMONG YOU... Do it for the chick below...She watches..<br />

lonely_cubone

Quote from: Magus on June 03, 2010, 01:27:22 am
I have to say there are some concepts I like about this game and there are some concepts I do not like about it. Also, is it me, or do I make my games too easy? Because when I fought that chest, (which I lost.. and was so pissed that clicked the file off) he was damaging me too heavy. Sitting there and defending all day isn't much of an option meh :/

I'm kinda thankful that I did my boss methods a lot different. And using teleportation (don't ask, it is possible xD)

First of all, you're not supposed to be able to beat the chest. The reason it's there is to make the player think a little more carefully before just running around a big empty room opening chests. Second of all, what do you mean you did your boss methods different? I'm sure it is possible to make teleporting enemies, I just don't have the patience to figure it out.

Shining Riku

Lol the last file I started I was gonna dedicate it to whupping the chest  :P

But then I forgot and finished the demo ^_^

Didn't know he was unbeatable lol @_@

lonely_cubone

Quote from: Shining Riku on June 03, 2010, 12:01:19 pm
Lol the last file I started I was gonna dedicate it to whupping the chest  :P

But then I forgot and finished the demo ^_^

Didn't know he was unbeatable lol @_@

Technically you can beat the Chest Alive, but you'd have to be around level 7. To get to level 7, you would have to kill 206 guards (in addition to 2 elite guards, the Shade Walker, and Valerai). So it's possible, but you don't actually get anything from it yet. What I will eventually do is make it so you get an item, usually to start a quest, from beating one, and there will be one in every dimension. They'll get progressively more powerful, making them always a challenge, even at the end.

Shining Riku

That sounds awesome ^_^ I like the idea!

lonely_cubone

Quote from: Shining Riku on June 03, 2010, 07:19:03 pm
That sounds awesome ^_^ I like the idea!

Thanks! I actually have lots of stuff like that, where there's one of it in each dimension, and collecting them all gives you a really useful item, service, or something like that.

Quote from: lonely_cubone on June 02, 2010, 08:44:29 am
Hey mods, do you think this is ready to get moved out of the New Projects section?

^that, again :P

The Niche

I think it is, and so does most people who aren't mods (I think). Seriously, well, well, well,....you get the picture, done! I love the title screen too.

Suggestion, might be a lot of work but change the windowskin every dimension? Also, the maps need defining to clearly indicate the entrances and exits. Otherwise players will say "fuck the brilliant storyline, beautiful graphics and gorgeous music, this game's functionality is retarded!"

I can help you out with more maps if you want.

Shining Riku

I have a poison mist window skin I made from Blizz's windowskins  :O.o: Dunno if I can rightly offer it for use but I can make window skins too

BTW Congrats on the move to the projects section!  :D

lonely_cubone

June 03, 2010, 10:45:48 pm #135 Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 11:13:00 pm by lonely_cubone
Quote from: The Niche on June 03, 2010, 08:35:43 pm
I think it is, and so does most people who aren't mods (I think). Seriously, well, well, well,....you get the picture, done! I love the title screen too.

Suggestion, might be a lot of work but change the windowskin every dimension? Also, the maps need defining to clearly indicate the entrances and exits. Otherwise players will say "fuck the brilliant storyline, beautiful graphics and gorgeous music, this game's functionality is retarded!"

I can help you out with more maps if you want.

I think I can more clearly indicate the map exits. In places where it makes sense, I can use signs, and in other places I can use other stuff. And I probably could change the windowskin in each dimension, but I don't know if Riku will be able to make 18 completely different skins that look good (no offense :D).

Quote from: Shining Riku on June 03, 2010, 10:30:25 pm
I have a poison mist window skin I made from Blizz's windowskins  :O.o: Dunno if I can rightly offer it for use but I can make window skins too

BTW Congrats on the move to the projects section!  :D

Thanks! And thanks Winkio, for moving it! :haha:
I think I'll be okay on windowskins for now. How are the other sprites coming though?

Shining Riku

I've been busy as heck ambitiously spriting Frog from Chrono Trigger, seeing as he's a playable character in my R U INSANE game... Thankfully i'm finished for now. I'm real proud of my work this time, and the experience I just gained from spriting him will REALLY put me ahead now when making sprites for you :D

Unfortunately this means I haven't progressed any with the requests, but now that i'm done with Frog I'll get right to your stuff

Two of my sheets: Frog walking and Running

Now that i'm done showing off, i'll begin with The Little Humphis' defend sprites since those will be done the fastest

lonely_cubone

That's fine, your project is obviously going to have precedence over mine. And that sprite is awesome! I haven't actually played Chrono Trigger, but I want to eventually.

Shining Riku

Chrono Trigger is a really good game ^_^ I can vouch for it.

and thanks for teh compliment! :D
I did a few more sheets of Frog defending, attacking, and casting spells but there wasn't any point in cluttering your project topic :(

lonely_cubone

Quote from: Shining Riku on June 04, 2010, 12:14:19 pm
Chrono Trigger is a really good game ^_^ I can vouch for it.

and thanks for teh compliment! :D
I did a few more sheets of Frog defending, attacking, and casting spells but there wasn't any point in cluttering your project topic :(

Well, I'll end up seeing them in your game eventually, so that's okay. I'm sure they're just as good, though. That jumping one is really well animated.

Shining Riku

June 04, 2010, 10:29:12 pm #140 Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 10:53:06 pm by Shining Riku
Thank you! ^_^

It's the first time I really REALLY had fun spriting stuff. Usually I'm just doing it because it needs to be done, but I got a kick outta it this time : / lol figure that out.

It just felt really rewarding this time ^_^

BTW Finished The Little Humphis' defending sprites and i'm working on his attacking too. I woulda finished earlier but my computer acts up on me when doing people's requests, and it erased my work when I finished the down facing row for attacking (don't worry I got the row finished again) I was just so annoyed though I had to take a break >_< I should have his sprites finished tomorrow though. I promise to make it happen. :D

lonely_cubone

Quote from: Shining Riku on June 04, 2010, 10:29:12 pm
Thank you! ^_^

It's the first time I really REALLY had fun spriting stuff. Usually I'm just doing it because it needs to be done, but I got a kick outta it this time : / lol figure that out.

It just felt really rewarding this time ^_^

BTW Finished The Little Humphis' defending sprites and i'm working on his attacking too. I woulda finished earlier but my computer acts up on me when doing people's requests, and it erased my work when I finished the down facing row for attacking (don't worry I got the row finished again) I was just so annoyed though I had to take a break >_< I should have his sprites finished tomorrow though. I promise to make it happen. :D

Thanks, I'm excited to see the sprites. But if, for whatever reason, you don't finish them by tomorrow, that's just fine too. Still, I'd prefer them sooner than later ;)

Shining Riku

June 05, 2010, 02:06:24 pm #142 Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 02:17:39 pm by Shining Riku
I've finished The Little Humphis' defend and attacking sprites.

What I did, is I made an album on Photobucket solely for sprite requests and such, so i'm going to link you to it. I also put the soldier sprites in it, so it's basically an accessible online folder.

If there's anybody else seeing this that wants to use any sprites, ask me for permission first. I think I can password the album so I may do that.

Here's the link: http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn118/ShiningRiku/Sprite%20Requests/

EDIT: I passworded my albums so people can't automatically look at my work. You guys have to ask me for permission first before i'll give you the password. I'm just trying to protect my work is all guys so no hard feelings  :^_^': If you wanna look at it or use any of it, just ask me for the password. If it's used I need to know which sprites. I'm fine with them being used so long as they aren't stolen IE; claimed as your own. One of the sheets there actually isn't mine but just there to show some of my other friends what I've got for my games.

Anyways, Cubone, I sent ya the password already :D

The Niche

Just to clarify what I meant by marking the exits, i mean don't let the player near any other map edges. Use undulations, water, whatever. But it seriously makes your maps look very bad if you don't. And it makes people think you're lazy cos they're expecting touching map edges to transfer them.

lonely_cubone

Quote from: The Niche on June 05, 2010, 04:09:12 pm
Just to clarify what I meant by marking the exits, i mean don't let the player near any other map edges. Use undulations, water, whatever. But it seriously makes your maps look very bad if you don't. And it makes people think you're lazy cos they're expecting touching map edges to transfer them.

Oh, okay. That's actually not what I thought you meant. I can do that. Thanks :haha:

Shining Riku

Yeah, closing off the sides of the maps like Niche suggested should make your maps look fantastic!

Just curious, how's the game coming along?

lonely_cubone

I haven't made much progress plot-wise, but I've been adding to what's already in the demo (the current maps, the eventing, the sprites [as they come in or I find them], etc). I'll probably upload it again once I have everything up until that point exactly how I want it ;)

Also, I got a bunch of action sprites from Riku today (for the Little Humphis and the two types of guards), and they look great. They'll be in the next version of the demo.

Shining Riku

The fights are real fun when the enemies and characters are animated, aren't they? :D

lonely_cubone

Quote from: Shining Riku on June 06, 2010, 12:25:50 pm
The fights are real fun when the enemies and characters are animated, aren't they? :D

Yeah, it's much more interesting! It almost looks like a real game ;)

Shining Riku

Subsonic_Noise

Good Day dear Sir,
I played your game (at least a part of it) and will give you some feedback before I go to sleep.
First of, nice concept, I like it. There's much potential in this. Though, there are two major flaws that stopped me from continueing. First of, the gameplay. When I started the game, I was left with no hints at what to do. Of course, I did what every moderately experienced gamer would do and eventually found the shadewalker, but I was left without motivation and reason to do so. I think you need to guide the player a bit. Easiest method: The little whatever (can't be bothered looking the name up, I'm tired) could tell his pickle where he wants to go today. Alternately, you could make him chase and animal or something. Just make sure the player always has a motivation to do what he has to do, or people will stop playing your game sooner or later.
Secondly, the music. Some of it was okay, but the first theme to come up when you started playing... it was almost physically painful to listen to, sorry. You might want to find someone to fix it for you or atleast learn some basic harmonic theory, but please don't leave it like this, it's the reason why I had to close the game after 10 minutes. If there is no other way, I could help you out with music. Just don't ruin your otherwise potentially good game with this. Please. xD

lonely_cubone

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on June 06, 2010, 05:11:28 pm
Good Day dear Sir,
I played your game (at least a part of it) and will give you some feedback before I go to sleep.
First of, nice concept, I like it. There's much potential in this. Though, there are two major flaws that stopped me from continueing. First of, the gameplay. When I started the game, I was left with no hints at what to do. Of course, I did what every moderately experienced gamer would do and eventually found the shadewalker, but I was left without motivation and reason to do so. I think you need to guide the player a bit. Easiest method: The little whatever (can't be bothered looking the name up, I'm tired) could tell his pickle where he wants to go today. Alternately, you could make him chase and animal or something. Just make sure the player always has a motivation to do what he has to do, or people will stop playing your game sooner or later.
Secondly, the music. Some of it was okay, but the first theme to come up when you started playing... it was almost physically painful to listen to, sorry. You might want to find someone to fix it for you or atleast learn some basic harmonic theory, but please don't leave it like this, it's the reason why I had to close the game after 10 minutes. If there is no other way, I could help you out with music. Just don't ruin your otherwise potentially good game with this. Please. xD

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that it's hard to tell what to do at the beginning. I'll try to guide the player more, but the point is that it's a complete co-incidence that the Little Humphis meets the Shade Walker, so I don't want to do anything really drastic. I realize that the music at the beginning is really annoying, it's supposed to be. It only plays for the first 30 seconds of the game (although I guess it's probably longer since it's hard to figure out what to do), and the music is completely different when you go back there. I also realize that I don't know any music theory, so I am also constantly trying to improve my music. But that one particular piece is supposed to be like that.

The Niche

When game music annoys me, I mute it. You're right about the general cluelessness at the start though. Cube, what she's saying about random little things to lead the little humphis to the shade walker is a very good idea. I believe your original concept was that he was going to visit Grabnam?
Another thought which kinda ties in with this is that the pickle actually talks back to him (or he imagines it does). You could have a button that makes him ask his pickle for a hint, or a similar hint system to that used in lexima where the pickle is an item that you use to activate the hint common event.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: The Niche on June 06, 2010, 05:34:36 pm
When game music annoys me, I mute it. You're right about the general cluelessness at the start though. Cube, what she's saying about random little things to lead the little humphis to the shade walker is a very good idea. I believe your original concept was that he was going to visit Grabnam?
Another thought which kinda ties in with this is that the pickle actually talks back to him (or he imagines it does). You could have a button that makes him ask his pickle for a hint, or a similar hint system to that used in lexima where the pickle is an item that you use to activate the hint common event.

i agree with what you suggested, though I do noz mute games. Music is a necessary and important part of the game, and one without I cannot play. If a game's music sucks, well, then it'll have one player less. Also, as I said, the music wasn't just annoying, it was painful to my ears. And trust me, I was looking through the midis in the audio folder afterwards and the other version wasn't really better. There are so many good musicians out there - why don't you go to newgrounds and find some fitting music there?

lonely_cubone

Yeah, you're probably right. I'll find somebody else's music eventually, but for now, I'm going to keep working on other parts of the game.

The Niche

Tis debatable. I say we solve this honorably!

*Takes out bitch slapping gloves*

...oops, I meant let's take this to the general discussion forums! Anyway, Cube if you want really annoying music, try the pokemon music. That's where i got my auto-mute tendencies.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: The Niche on June 07, 2010, 07:51:02 am
Tis debatable. I say we solve this honorably!

*Takes out bitch slapping gloves*

...oops, I meant let's take this to the general discussion forums! Anyway, Cube if you want really annoying music, try the pokemon music. That's where i got my auto-mute tendencies.

I strongly dissagree on that. The pokemon music is beautiful most of the time, the problem is just the virtual instruments on the game boy, since they are really hard to work with. I once took a midi of the original pokemon battle theme and used some noce vst synths on it, and the outcome bas epic, especialpy the basslines, which are barely audible in the original music.
If you want to do annoying music... eh, just don't do it. Just don't want annoyance to be the first thing the player experiences. I think some overly happy music would fit much better here.

The Niche

The crazier the better. (I'm agreeing with Sub? I really am going crazy!)

lonely_cubone

Okay. I actually did read a couple basic music theory tutorials online, and I'll try using stuff from them rather than just random notes that I try until they sound like something. Just wondering, what did you think of the other music? Was it any better?

Lobstrosity

This game looks really great! I'll be looking at your demo shortly. And Shining Riku, awesome spriting. This will turn out as a really good game! I can't wait to see the finished product.  ;)
Don't come any closer. I'm armed... with SCIENCE!

lonely_cubone

Thanks! I've been working on it over the last little while. I'll upload the newest version of the demo in a day or so.

Shining Riku

lonely_cubone

June 26, 2010, 03:04:11 pm #162 Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 05:29:21 pm by lonely_cubone
I uploaded a new demo. I haven't changed the music yet, but I did improve the mapping and add more action sprites. It still only goes to the same part of the game, I just made it better. I also updated the screenshots to much more recent ones.

The Niche

lonely_cubone

Not bad. To be honest, I haven't worked on this game for a while, but I'm planning on going back to it ASAP. Expect an update moderately soon.

The Niche

I know you have, that's why I reminded you :D. Glad you haven't given up.

lonely_cubone

It's nice to hear that someone is still interested in this :D. I'm far from giving up; I've just been working on other games, one of which is actually quite closely related to this game.

Actually, I'm going to check with my partner for the related game (King OogaTonTon on this board, I think) to see if I can make a topic for it on CP. It's made with Game Maker though, so it'll be in the non-RPG Maker section. Watch for it!

The Niche

I would never lose interest, how could you?! :P