Windows 7 - Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file.

Started by bigace, May 05, 2010, 07:47:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigace

Just recently it started having problems. It won't play any type of music
file, when I go to play a song it will say "Windows Media Player encountered
a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help.

Ok so I click web help and it takes me to this page

https://www.microsoft.com/windows/wi...nalid=80004005

My audio drivers are up to date and everything is working fine I don't
understand what could be causing this.

Note: It works on sound and other stuff works on everything else, just the WMP encountering problems.

Use Dropbox to upload your files. Much simpler than other upload sites, you can simply place a folder on your desktop that will sync with your DropBox account.

Starrodkirby86

What file extension is it? Can you play other music files on Windows Media Player? Perhaps you should open the files with Media Player (File...Open...etc.)

Can you play that same file on another media player, if you have one?

I guess these questions are a bit useless...but I haven't a clue what's happening here too. Not to mention I'm in a rush right now. ;~;

If you don't have a heart for Windows Media Player and don't care about fixing the problem, you can always try some other alternatives. I use Winamp. :3

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

bigace

Quote from: Starrodkirby86 on May 05, 2010, 09:25:04 pm
What file extension is it? Can you play other music files on Windows Media Player? Perhaps you should open the files with Media Player (File...Open...etc.)

Can you play that same file on another media player, if you have one?

I guess these questions are a bit useless...but I haven't a clue what's happening here too. Not to mention I'm in a rush right now. ;~;

If you don't have a heart for Windows Media Player and don't care about fixing the problem, you can always try some other alternatives. I use Winamp. :3

If you read the bottom of the OP I already stated that it works on everything else.

I usually use WMP for mainly all my music uploading and categorizing, but Itunes for only unploading my ipod (obviously). I don't mind using a nother source for away, but I still want to know what problem is.

Use Dropbox to upload your files. Much simpler than other upload sites, you can simply place a folder on your desktop that will sync with your DropBox account.

Diokatsu

Maybe you should stop trying to make out with your computer tower.

bigace

Ryex

what type of file is it? is it mp3? mp4? oog? hard to help with out that
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Starrodkirby86

According to him, it's any type of music file...I guess that would go from .wav all the way to whatever else...

I wonder if updating to the latest version will fix any of this...That is, if you aren't on the latest.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Ryex

oh... that is weird. kinda sounds like one of the dll files that drives WMP got corrupted. a reinstall of WMP would fix that.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

bigace