Imaginery workouts having almost the same effects as actual workouts?

Started by Blizzard, May 16, 2010, 01:00:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

I agree with the concept of the brain controlling strength.  I'm curious to know whether the strength gain in the brain training group also corresponded to muscle gain, or if they just gained more efficient control over their existing muscle.

Blizzard

I was thinking about the same thing. I know that the human brain is capable of some crazy stuff and this pretty much goes along with a theory I know. I'm just amazed that it's so strong. I expected 20%, maybe 30%, but not over 80%.

BTW, I think it's actual muscle gain. I've seen in a class how they measure this stuff. Definitely muscle gain.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

tSwitch

I like this.
It'd be awesome for people like me who have no time in their schedules to actually exercise.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Blizzard

*slaps self*
I already posted this. Good I got that dejavu when typing "Discuss".

winkio

lol XD

Another comment on this subject that I just now realized:

This is the same thing as the placebo effect.  Just instead of healing yourself, you are making yourself stronger.

Blizzard

I was thinking the same. In fact, I tried it out in the few last days and I can see some difference. ^_^

Fantasist

I remember having discussed this with my friend when we saw the Matrix. If you're hurt in the Matrix, how would you bleed outside? That seemed crazy to me and I still don't completely buy it. But in this case, what exactly happens when you actually DO exercise? It's not a phenomenon that completely excludes the brain (*more on that below). Sure, I think it's possible.

*Some things are physically impossible no matter how strong your will is (or is it? Let's leave it in the gray territory b/w reality and fiction for now). Say you're falling at 100 miles/hour. No matter how much you believe you're as light as a feather, gravity will act on your body mass, accelerating it and when you hit the ground, you'll take much more damage than a feather ever can.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Blizzard

The only thing that comes to my mind is that in the Matrix you couldn't break the rules. You could only bend them.

Calintz

I like this topic.
This is very interesting, and I for one fully believe and support it.

Studies even indicate that if you don't get enough sleep, then there is a possibility that it will halt weight loss and your overall physical prowess to a certain extent. I used to think that's because if you're awake then you tend to eat, but maybe it's because your brain doesn't get the proper amount of rest to function properly ... Without your brain functioning properly, the latter occurs.