News: Make your MMO dream a reality! - RPG Maker XP Online System
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [XP] Journal  (Read 14164 times)
ForeverZer0
The Cookie Monster
Global Moderator
Lexima Warrior

Level: 278

Remember you are unique, just like everyone else.

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2010, 03:26:47 AM »

Journal
Authors: ForeverZer0
Version: 2.4
Type: Misc. Add-On
Key Term: Misc Add-on

Introduction

I wrote this script after seeing a request here on CP for something similar.
It basically just allows the player to view a Journal that show the player
information about people they have encountered and places they have visited.
Can also log weapons, armors, and items.

Features

• Easy to use/configure
  • Will log people, places, weapons, armors, and items seperately
  • Configurable what type of entries you would like to log
  • Configurable layout
  • Option to use pictures
  • Fully compatible "stats" you want the system to display.

Screenshots

(click to show/hide)

Demo

None.

Script

Here.
(click to show/hide)

Instructions

See script.

Compatibility

No known issues.

Credits and Thanks

• ForeverZer0, for the script.

Author's Notes

Enjoy!

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 09:34:44 AM by ForeverZer0 » Logged

I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.
Nadim13
Trained Member

Level: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 10:50:05 AM »

It seems cool! I'll try it later! Good work! (lv.++)
Shining Riku
Ethereal Devastator

Level: 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 06:30:56 PM »

This script is great, it's exactly what I needed for one of my games!
Excellent work on the script! ^_^
SquareMan
Transcended Spirit

Level: 13

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 05:32:11 AM »

This is awesome! Lvl up. Kiss
Edit: Is it possible to modify some values to make it to where you can have two journals? Since I have basic RGSS know how i attempted it my self,...., but failed and ended up with this error when i tryed to start my game.
something like this.
Error on line 175 in script "Scene_Journal" (thats what i named it in the editor) Stack level too deep.
what i did was dupe the script rename it to Scene_Journal2 in the page list. then I changed those things that add info right after the config ends by adding a 2 to the end of the thingys. then i scrolled down to where it said class Scene_Journal and changed it to this Scene_Journal2 any help?
It all worked fine before i duped the script. when i deleted the dupe, it was all fine.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 06:54:59 AM by SquareMan » Logged

They've got helmets on they're heads. But I gotta watermeloan instead!
ForeverZer0
The Cookie Monster
Global Moderator
Lexima Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 11:53:35 PM »

This is awesome! Lvl up. Kiss
Edit: Is it possible to modify some values to make it to where you can have two journals? Since I have basic RGSS know how i attempted it my self,...., but failed and ended up with this error when i tryed to start my game.
something like this.
Error on line 175 in script "Scene_Journal" (thats what i named it in the editor) Stack level too deep.
what i did was dupe the script rename it to Scene_Journal2 in the page list. then I changed those things that add info right after the config ends by adding a 2 to the end of the thingys. then i scrolled down to where it said class Scene_Journal and changed it to this Scene_Journal2 any help?
It all worked fine before i duped the script. when i deleted the dupe, it was all fine.

Copying the script wont do you much good. I'm not positive exactly what your trying to do, but try just renaming the scripts and config differently and calling them as such. For example instead of the Journal module, have a Journal_1 and Journal_2 module, and the same with the scenes. Just make sure that each scene calls from the appropriate Journal, etc, etc. You may also need to make some edits to have different variables that keep track of what is unlocked for each Journal. Hope that was helpful!

I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.
SquareMan
Transcended Spirit

Level: 13

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 03:24:45 AM »

ok i might try it again when i learn more of rgss and not just basics.

They've got helmets on they're heads. But I gotta watermeloan instead!
XaineC
Trained Member

Level: -1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 11:02:08 AM »

Is there any way to make it so that the journal shows the actors names as dictated by the database? I ask this because I make it so the player can name the main character what they want and I want the journal to change accordingly.
ForeverZer0
The Cookie Monster
Global Moderator
Lexima Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 06:26:54 PM »

Is there any way to make it so that the journal shows the actors names as dictated by the database? I ask this because I make it so the player can name the main character what they want and I want the journal to change accordingly.

Don't got my game in front of me right now, but I think if you use...
Code: [Select]
$data_actors[ACTOR_ID].name
...it will show the name of the actor with that ID.

XaineC
Trained Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 12:15:11 AM »

Thanks, that worked. One more question. What if I want to change the picture I use for a certain actor during the game. Is there any way to do that???
ForeverZer0
The Cookie Monster
Global Moderator
Lexima Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 06:09:13 PM »

Thanks, that worked. One more question. What if I want to change the picture I use for a certain actor during the game. Is there any way to do that???

Simplest way I can think of off-hand without changing the method would be to set a switch to it.
Here's an example, using Switch #10. In the part where you configure the bitmap of char with ID...
when 1 then $game_switches[10] ? 'BITMAP SWITCH ON' : 'BITMAP SWITCH OFF'

Try that. Let me know if it works.

XaineC
Trained Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 04:52:36 AM »

Thanks Zero. It worked great. Epic you are.
Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 07:27:10 AM »

Would it be possible to put in an option for items? Not like an inventory list, just important artifacts.
ForeverZer0
The Cookie Monster
Global Moderator
Lexima Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 06:08:19 PM »

Yeah that wouldn't be hard. I'll make you a mod sometime here when I get a chance. If I forget, just PM me or bump for update.

Acolyte
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 04:08:28 AM »

Just checking to see if you're still working on it.
Calintz
Guardian of Chaos

Level: 108

A Pixel's Worst Nightmare

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 04:34:30 AM »

Always a great addition to any game when used right.
ForeverZer0
The Cookie Monster
Global Moderator
Lexima Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 06:16:54 PM »

* UPDATES *

Version is now 2.0
 - Totally overworked code for better performance and overview
 - Added options to log weapons, armors, and items
 - Add ability to choose what options (ie. Places, People, Items, etc.) to use in your journal
 - Basic configurables for the window look/layout.
 - Feature to Auto-Unlock weapons, armors, and items as the player aquires them if desired.
 - Names will be defined by the database now in a list.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I think I added them all... Tongue
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 06:18:25 PM by ForeverZer0 » Logged

Acolyte
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 03:15:36 AM »

Awesome job. Thanks a lot. :D
Lauros
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 04:05:44 AM »

I wonder if you can added to the script a section for write what is hapenning in the game
Ex: after an encounter with a strange man, this appears in the section.                             

(Title) "The strange Man"
 (What happened)"We found a strange man who told us we were at the castle, I wonder who will be
                                                but we dont have time to follow and ask"

Then after a while it reappears the same strange man, after talking with him, and at the same section title("The strange Man") appears:

(Title) "The strange Man",
 (What happened)"We found a strange man who told us we were at the castle, I wonder who will be
                                                but we dont have time to follow and ask.
                         The same strange man came back to help us, I dont understand, ┬┐why he help us?"

Something like that, and space for many titles
ForeverZer0
The Cookie Monster
Global Moderator
Lexima Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 07:14:58 PM »

That would not be a very hard script to write, but it would probably be easier to adapt this.

Lauros
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 08:20:27 PM »

I have that script, if you can adapted to any of the two scripts would works for me,  Up
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Shoutbox
Latest Shouts
Today at 12:53:01 PM R5GAMER: Okay! Nice Happy My file.txt consists of the server name, login and pwd to connect directly. The question is how to pass all his ..
Today at 12:37:48 PM ForeverZer0
IO.readlines('file.txt').each {|line| p line } 
Today at 12:36:57 PM ForeverZer0: @R5GAMER: What do you mean "the lines after it"? It returns an array of ALL lines in the file. There are no "lines after it". Each element in the array is a line.
Today at 03:06:04 AM R5GAMER: Mmmmh.. But how the lines after it says?
Today at 01:39:27 AM Sylphe: yes all demos on this forum tell me that
Today at 01:29:27 AM firevenge007: why is chrome telling others that my game I uploaded to dropbox is malicious?
Today at 01:17:16 AM ForeverZer0: You don't open a file, then readlines. This will get you array of lines:
lines = IO.readlines('file.txt')
July 28, 2014, 11:49:59 PM R5GAMER: But the readlines it does not recognize...
July 28, 2014, 11:49:19 PM R5GAMER: Mmmm.... I'm Blocked because the RGSS is very limited I like to know if anyone know of a way to find a word in a file.txt ? I use : File.open("inf.txt") do |file| data = file.readlines if file.readable? data.each do |line| line.split.each do |word| end end end

HB Games RpgMaker.org