The Storyline Service. Worldbuilding, Plots, Characters & Internal Consistency!

Started by Vell, January 07, 2008, 07:03:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tazero

Quote from: Blizzard on March 29, 2009, 05:28:15 pm
Spoiler: ShowHide

xD

You just gave out ,like pplz IP adresses.....

GL with this ulta...Wait luck has nothing to do with it right?

If you were a fish...

Valcos

Yay! LB's on the epic team of only elite.... o.O.

And... I dont like the way the male one looks. :<_<:
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya

Vell

No, Meta. Luck has NOTHING to do with it. only with attracting customers >.>/

Tazero

If you were a fish...

Vell

GRATITUDE PUNK! Yes, you gotta pay. 5 Energy plox.

legacyblade

People don't ask for help often. However, based on the stories I've seen in most of the RMXP games out there (the ones that never get finished, especially) they really should, XD

Vell

Sal asked for my help the other day. and within half an hour she was like 'Wow, You're REALLY Good. I came out here with one idea, and now you've got me with this this, that this and... THAT!' replace the ambiguous stuff with actual stuff and it'd make sense.

I stopped checking the new projects section for good story ideas months ago.

Valcos

Lol... nice self advertising, very convincing.
-Oscar De La Hoya

Vell

Valcos

May 13, 2009, 08:16:58 am #109 Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 07:01:10 pm by Valcos
Ulta... i pmed you.

edited.
-Oscar De La Hoya

Vell

>.> no 'naughty' smiley here please. this IS a relative place of business. also, you have 1111 posts.

Tazero

I have a zombie game i wish to make but need serious help with the storie as i cannot get a good rhythm in the events occuring.

My topic is in the new projects section and i need help along those lines please thank you. ;')

If you were a fish...

legacyblade

I think the first thing you'd need to do is come up with a few ideas about the world. Particularly focus on a few of the following questions.

1. What causes the zombies to live? Why are they not dead? Is a necromancer sustaining them? Is it some blight on the land, or a curse from a god? Is it something like a disease? Or is it something else entirely?

2. What impact on the world have the zombies had? Are they terrorizing a single town, or have they ravaged and destroyed an entire city? Are they expanding outwards, going further and further from their origin, or are they staying back? Have humans been driven to near extinction, or are they doing well at stopping the zombies. If the zombies aren't hunting all over the world, instead staying in a single area, what keeps them there? Can they not get too far from whatever turned them into a zombie, or is there some sort of physical barrier?

3. How are you going to solve the zombie problem? Will you kill some dark necromancer, or have an all out battle that kills the zombies? What will the hero(s) end up doing that saves the world? Or is there no way to save it? Are they doomed?

These, I think, are very important questions. Most of the ideas I came up with are probobly cliche and overused, because I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to zombies. But those are the kind of things you need to be asking. You'll gave to figure out other details later, such as how you're going to introduce the problem, how much you will reveal up front, and how the main character gets involved, but those should grow out of whatever you decide.

That's my few cents anyways.

Tazero

Thnx Legacy I'll Respong to these soon...

EDIT: Soon is now :)

Quote1. What causes the zombies to live? Why are they not dead? Is a necromancer sustaining them? Is it some blight on the land, or a curse from a god? Is it something like a disease? Or is it something else entirely?

They stay sustained from a Virus ; A virus that re-animates all dead cells within the brain and dying tissue within the body. Therefore bringing the dead to life with an unstable cause. This affects all life it can be transmitted sexually, Airbourne, Blood Transfusion, or by water. (A version of the T-Virus so to speak)

Quote2. What impact on the world have the zombies had? Are they terrorizing a single town, or have they ravaged and destroyed an entire city? Are they expanding outwards, going further and further from their origin, or are they staying back? Have humans been driven to near extinction, or are they doing well at stopping the zombies. If the zombies aren't hunting all over the world, instead staying in a single area, what keeps them there? Can they not get too far from whatever turned them into a zombie, or is there some sort of physical barrier?

The zombies have taken 1/3 of the worlds population including the countries : China, South America, Mexico, Ukraine. The disease is fastly spreading thru the world making an impact on Plant life , Human Life , and Animal Life, there are no barriers they just aren't smart enough to swim or operate machinery...Yet...

Quote3. How are you going to solve the zombie problem? Will you kill some dark necromancer, or have an all out battle that kills the zombies? What will the hero(s) end up doing that saves the world? Or is there no way to save it? Are they doomed?

There is no apparent solution from what is said other than travel with a friend , don't make friends only stay with your partner.
The Heroes are  Kye Ambrose and Arianna Sale

QuoteThese, I think, are very important questions. Most of the ideas I came up with are probobly cliche and overused, because I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to zombies. But those are the kind of things you need to be asking. You'll gave to figure out other details later, such as how you're going to introduce the problem, how much you will reveal up front, and how the main character gets involved, but those should grow out of whatever you decide.

That's my few cents anyways.

Your few cents was very helpful IMO ;) ++Level

Spoiler: ShowHide
My huge problem is that i can't figure out how to start this story.

If you were a fish...

Vell

well it's how you want it to develop. you know that one point they have 1/3 of the world. does it start so at the beginning of the game? or are things not so yet out of control? do you MIND copying a well-established series? are there major pockets of resistance, and are they eventually hoping to annihalate the zombies?

Tazero

Quote from: UltaFlame on June 10, 2009, 04:52:39 pm
well it's how you want it to develop. you know that one point they have 1/3 of the world. does it start so at the beginning of the game? or are things not so yet out of control? do you MIND copying a well-established series? are there major pockets of resistance, and are they eventually hoping to annihalate the zombies?

I want it to start as a small 'containable' virus but breaks out becoming an international pandemic but i want to go to flash backs thru-out the game.
And the S.T.F.O.U. (Special Taskforce Operation Unit) is hoping to annahilate them but fail....

If you were a fish...

legacyblade

I think it should start when the main characters get left behind in the town. Start with a face paced sequence, preferably a battle before too long. Just start thinking of possibilities for your story. When it comes to openings, you want to give them a fast paced opening that is interesting, and pulls you into the story. A battle scene is particularly a good thing near the very beginning of the game. Think of how they did it in Final Fantasy 7. Avoid giving too much about the story until later. People will get that zombies == bad. Maybe you could communicate that it's transferred via bodily fluid by having one of the initial party members become infected. Use dialog in such a way that it is clear why he is transforming, but avoid "info dumping" (them having a discussion). You may want to try something like

Character A: "$@#%, some of the zombie's fluids must have entered his blood stream."
Character B: "We have to kill him. He's infected!"
Character A: "We can't just-"
Character B: "He's going to become one of them! He'll kill both of us if that happens!"
Character A: "But..."
Character B: *destroy zombifying body*

You should tweak that kind of a scene to reveal something about the characters involved. This gives us the knowledge that the infection turns people into zombies, and is transferred via bodily fluid. Scenes like this are more effective at setting up the world than exposition. Once the story gets going, and the audience is interesting, we can get more detail. The flashbacks should wait until we get a solid grounding in the game's "present".

Also, I think it would be kinda cool if one of the main characters was infected, but somehow managed to counter it before he became a full zombie. That way he'd have some zombie like abilities, but maintain his sentience and humanity. This would also make him a perfect zombie slayer, since he couldn't be further effected by the virus. Maybe at some point, you could have his cure/counter start to weaken, and the zombie side of him begins to get stronger.

Just tossing out ideas that came to me, I like brainstorming worldbuilding possibilities. I think you should keep the virus transferred via bodily fluids, as it would feel even MORE like I Am Legend if you didn't. Also, it would make for an interesting scinario if you have one of the characters get partially infected. Especially if there is a romance subplot going on involving that character ^_~

Tazero

June 10, 2009, 06:48:29 pm #117 Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 08:08:07 pm by MetaKnight
Damn... I wish I could think like that....Thans LB ++Level+plus
*goes to Notepad"Have at-chya! script!"*

EDIT::
Dead March
Quarantine

James: "Damn it! I've been ... Ugh! Bit..."
Kye: "We have to kill him."
Arianna: "We can't just Kill him"
Kye: "He's going to become one of them! He'll kill both of us if we let him live!"
James: "He's Right...I'm willing to die for the sake of your life...Sis"
Kye: "I hope you understand I have no pleasure in losing a partner."
James: "It's fi-"
Kye: "Shit!"
Arianna: "James!"
Kye: "Arianna! stand back!"
*Black screen...* *5 frames later* *Gunshot*
*sad instrumental*
A month before...
Kye: "Arianna ... Arianna , wake up"
Arianna: "I'm awake anything coming?"
Kye: "No..."
James: "Finally awake you two?"
Kye & Arianna: "Where were you?"
James: "Getting familiar with my surroundings..."
Later that morning....

???: *Screech*
Battle sequence(Blizz abs)

Good start?

If you were a fish...

legacyblade

I just have a lot of practice meta, that's all it takes. Lot's and lots of practice putting off homework :P

I think you should have a battle before that, where the player gets to fight. Don't enable spells, or any features other than attack and move (if you're using an ABS). Tell them how to move and attack, then let them fight zombies, then have a  scene like that. If the main story is going to start a month before (as in, you play from the 6 months ago to the zombie biting scene), then flash back to it like that. It promises intense action to come, and gives us a taste of the story. However, if the main story of the game is set just after that zombie biting scene, keep going from there, THEN do flashbacks after there's been some gameplay and plot advancement. We need to know why we should identify with and care about your characters before we're willing to watch cutscenes about their backstory. Set up the "main quest", let us get to know the characters a bit, THEN show us flashbacks. It will give the story a faster, more upbeat pace. It'll also put you ahead of the majority of video games in terms of story.

Well that's my opinion anyways. I'm still an amateur just like the rest of us. It's your project, so do whatever you like better.

P.S. Yay, I got a level up. Woot for story based XP awards :P

scoace13

storyline: _____has lived all his life as a test subject. He was told it was  because he is "special" which is why no one will ever care about him. then one day before a series of experimentations he finds someone who is kind to him, shortly after showing off his differences something happens and the lab falls apart. he awakens in a forest with know idea where he is only remembering the words spoken to him in a dream. from the forest he is taken to a hospital where he is reunited with the person who was kind  to him. After a short talk about the times and what happen back at the lab he finds out that he has awoken several years after the incident and that almost everyone involved with the experiments had been arrested and sent to prison. after seeing that he has no place to go the kind person takes him in.

Later he falls asleep and when he awakens he is inside of surreal realm that he call The Dream a place with no laws of nature surrounding is physical behavior.  here he meets a young child who is crying because Death killed her mother. the boy after a debate of conscious sets off after Death. on his quest to find death  he is attack by an unknown force and knocked unconcious. when he comes to he is at the camp of a man named D. who then inconversation reveals that he is Death and that he kills only because of a mysterious power that directs him at all times unless he does kill people. end of chapter 1 and what i have at the moment. 

this need work and a lot of it I know this is all i can come up with but when written out thats probably less than 20 total (even though this is a small part of the story whole story which still needs finishing) heres the main plot for  the game as a refrance:Plot:After having been experimented on and tortured for all of his life _________ finally escapes and now tries to find the true meaning of freedom amidst a turbulent world.
scoace13, Eventman extrodnaire...so anybody seen any good movies recently <br />...whys is this here..........random fate...same reason im here...