Happy Birthday, New CP!

Started by Blizzard, January 08, 2011, 08:52:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

Today (January 8th) is the day this forum was created. CP itself is older than 3 years, but 3 years ago was the day when the forum was moved to a new database and started again completely from scratch (with the exception that the important topics such as scripts and tutorials were preserved).

It's been great 3 years and I hope that the forum will continue to grow. I hope that it will continue to give us so much fun, knowledge and drama.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Subsonic_Noise

winkio

I remember joining soon after you guys moved to new CP.  I was one of the first new people (not from old CP).

Ryex

I joined a few months before the old forum moved. and has it really been three years?
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

Yeah, it has. xD Time's really flying by.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: winkio on January 08, 2011, 10:53:01 am
I remember joining soon after you guys moved to new CP.  I was one of the first new people (not from old CP).
Yaya!

Interestingly, I came in for Blizz-ABS apparently, but I stayed for the cookies. Or the Blizzard. Or the CP. I'm not sure anymore. :V:

Regardless, this was the first avatar I used for CP.

Interestingly, I don't think avatar dimension limitations were there at the time, allowing me to use this width-grabbing beast.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

nathmatt

i remember joining old cp wasn't really active on the other site tho
Join Dead Frontier
Sorry, I will no longer be scripting for RMXP. I may or may not give support for my scripts. I don't have the will to script in RGSS anymore.
My script

ForeverZer0

I regret missing the glory days of RMXP and CP. I only discovered it almost a year ago.  :(
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

Well, I've seen how the community has changed over the years and it didn't actually get worse or something. It is just different. It wasn't much better back then. There were just less scripts around and most people that made good games made them with what they could. Today the RMXP community is trying to be more professional which usually turns out pathetic because RMXP really isn't something a professional would use.

ForeverZer0

That's why I have yet to bother with a real attempt at making a game, and you have never even seen a license in any of my scripts. I see countless people speak of making large commercial games with RMXP, which may be possible, but is certaintly not practical.

I just like scripting and making the components of a game.
I probably won't use 1/10 of the scripts I ever wrote, even if I did decide to make a game.

Either way, it would have been nice back in the day when there was more interest and a larger community, with more than just a handful of people really making forward progress for the RMXP as a whole.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

Most people who have gained some skills, they are actually went beyond RMXP.
I also didn't use a large portion of the scripts I made. On the other hand there are scripts that I made exclusively for my game so that probably weighs it out in my case. xD That main reason for that is that I kept adding and adding new scripts and features.

I usually find it hilarious when people are like "I'm going to make an uber game in RMXP! I will be famous!"

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Blizzard on January 08, 2011, 03:44:45 pm
I usually find it hilarious when people are like "I'm going to make an uber game in RMXP! I will be famous!"

D'awwwww.

Blizzard's breaking the hopes and dreams of many little amateur RPG Maker children~~

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!

G_G

I wasn't around for the old CP. Came about 7 months later. LOL My brothers birthday is today!

Spaceman McConaughey

RPG Maker actually can give professional results. Does not really matter if an actual professional would use it or not. :P

But yes, I think the idea of paying for an RMXP game is stupid.

stripe103

January 08, 2011, 04:31:39 pm #14 Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 04:46:16 pm by stripe103
Before I started with RMXP, I wanted to work as a game developer, or making games at least, but I told myself most of the times that it is not going to happen. The times I didn't I started with a new language. Each time. C++, Java, Flash. Blah. Not the best ways to start making games. Then I found out about RMXP and downloaded it soon after, now I know some Ruby(not much, but still), that I can map really good, and that I have the thinking needed.

So I don't think it was that much of a waste to get into the RM world. Nothing that will get you a job, but it get's you a bit on the way.

Blizzard

Oh, I totally agree. I learned a lot from RMXP. But it was time for me to go to the next level.
I'm not saying that you can't make a professional looking game, I'm only saying that RMXP isn't a good choice for professional game development (in other words, commercial games, as G_G already said).

Beside all of it, I had a lot of benefits from RMXP. Not only have I learned a lot in scripting/programming and game design in general, I also had a lot of fun with RMXP itself and with the community. I was able to use my game CP as my diploma thesis and my English improved significantly ever since I joined the community. Heck, I even wrote and defended my thesis in English. xD

G_G

Quote from: Blizzard on January 08, 2011, 04:51:39 pm
Oh, I totally agree. I learned a lot from RMXP. But it was time for me to go to the next level.
I'm not saying that you can't make a professional looking game, I'm only saying that RMXP isn't a good choice for professional game development (in other words, commercial games, as G_G already said).

Beside all of it, I had a lot of benefits from RMXP. Not only have I learned a lot in scripting/programming and game design in general, I also had a lot of fun with RMXP itself and with the community. I was able to use my game CP as my diploma thesis and my English improved significantly ever since I joined the community. Heck, I even wrote and defended my thesis in English. xD

When and what did I say? o_O

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on January 08, 2011, 03:20:45 pm
That's why I have yet to bother with a real attempt at making a game, and you have never even seen a license in any of my scripts. I see countless people speak of making large commercial games with RMXP, which may be possible, but is certaintly not practical.

Why hello there game---Oh it's just ForeverZer0. :V:

Hilariously I got bought into that too. xD

Blizzard

@G_G: Oops, I meant Branden. xD

Futendra

im in here for only 9 days o.O