[XNA 3.1] Colorful

Started by tSwitch, January 08, 2011, 09:50:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tSwitch

January 08, 2011, 09:50:26 pm Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 01:53:36 pm by NAMKCOR

Games are so violent nowadays, what with all of the guns and blood and explosions and nuclear bombs and alien takeovers.  It's hard to lose track of what is truly important: being happy.

In Colorful, being happy is all that matters.  Being happy is the core game mechanic, and you score higher by being happier.

"Tell me more!" you might say, "How can a mere abstract virtualization of our world represent and interpret the complex emotion that is happiness?"

Colorful puts you in the shoes of an every day bi-polar named Dave.  Dave is subject to violent mood swings, and has been prescribed mood-enhancing medication to maintain his ability to live in modern society.  Your goal is to keep Dave as happy as possible by picking up his pills before the time limit runs out.

Current Progress
Video

Check back frequently, I'm making rapid progress.

Rules of Play

• Dave has 5 emotions in his spectrum: RAGE, Disgruntled, Bored, Happy, and HYPER

• Each emotion is tied to a score multiplier: 50%, 75%, 100%, 150%, 200%

• Each Pill is worth 100 points.

• When the level timer runs out, your score for the level is multiplied based on Dave's ending emotional level, and then your final score level is added to your running total

• Enemies known as Downers will make Dave unable to pick up pills for a couple seconds by making him as depressed as they are.

• When picking up pills, be sure to not max out your Overdose meter, or the level will immediately end.

• Spike pits will also immediately end the level

• There are no lives and no game overs, you play through the levels at your own pace, and can repeat any to get higher scores.  The worst thing you can do is not score as high as you could have, either by ending the level prematurely, or by not timing your pill intake well.

Features

• Programmed from the ground up by NAMKCOR with XNA 3.1 for PC

• Simple gameplay formula that caters to casuals and hardcores alike

• Original Soundtrack by Arrow-1

• Easily modded: levels are interpreted from png images, making custom level design a breeze!

How can I help?
I don't want this game to be free, in fact, I'd like to sell it for a couple bucks on steam or on my own website if I can.  There's just one issue with that: I don't have a Visual Studio 2008 license, so Microsoft can kill me if I make profit off of the game.

That being said.

If you are feeling generous and would like to help me raise money toward purchasing a professional license for myself, I would be eternally grateful.  Donators will be eligible for a free copy of the game when it is released, as well as pre-release test participation should they be interested.

Does this mean there will be no free version?
There will be a 100% free demo version available, but the demo version will not support custom levels, and will not contain the full game's content.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

G_G

How much is a license? I might be able to donate some in a couple of weeks.

tSwitch

January 13, 2011, 12:36:55 am #2 Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 01:09:13 am by NAMKCOR
I think it costs between $500 and $1k in all honesty, this is a long-term endeavor for me.
(getting the license anyway, the game should be done within a month or two depending on how heavy schoolwork gets on me, and I'll probably release it for free until I can actually profit off of it)

I don't want this to be taken as me trying to ask for money rather than post a topic, the game will be here, and it is in production, I just wanted to add that at the end to really inform people tbh.  The thread is about the game, if you want to ask about helping to fund its production, PM me (unless you need to look good in public or something :V)

Ninjabump:
Newly Added:
Rewrote Tile system to use a sheet instead of individual images
Added spike parsing
Added pill color changing
Added Downer AI

Edit: for those who have Twitter, I just set up a feed for Temperance XIV (my game co) and progress will be updated there. Link

tSwitch

Big awesome news, Arrow-1 (of RMRK fame) has signed on as Soundtrack Producer for Colorful.
The Full 11 song soundtrack will be available for pre-order copies only, and will likely be released on the iTunes store later on.

tSwitch

UPDATE WITH LATEST PROGRESS
Title Screen Implemented
Stage Select Implemented
Custom Content Loader Implemented
Now with 95% more sound!
project upgraded to XNA 3.1

tSwitch

January 29, 2011, 07:42:32 pm #5 Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 07:43:57 pm by NAMKCOR
What's that?
More progress?

Overdose - functional
Spikes - functional
Level Unlock - functional
Score System - functional

First beta to begin soon for donators.

Punn

You know.. the issue with gettin Microsoft visual studios.. did you ever apply for a free copy? All you gotta do is show proof that your a college student and they will give you a link and you'll get a free copy till the expiration date.
I got mines for free since my 2nd semester in college.

Thought I'd pass this possible useful tidbit around.

(PS: Do I look good now? :V)

tSwitch

I have a copy through my school.
It's licensed to them, not me.

I'd rather not test that legal issue.

Punn

Quoteapply

Quoteshow proof

Quotestudent

Quotecopy

Quotethey

Quotefree

tSwitch

and I'll still have to buy a copy on the
Quote from: Punn on January 29, 2011, 09:49:37 pm
expiration date

6 one half dozen the other.

Kett Shee

Eh, I found this to be relevant to my interests, so I donated a bit. I'd like to see this make a lot of progress.  :naughty:

(I have very little, and it was just sitting on a gift card so I'd feel like I'd be cheating you out of what you deserve for all of your hard work if I received a free copy... xD)
You're all daft cunts. I love you. <3

tSwitch

Thank you for your support, you have a PM.

Zeriab

Have you tried to look at the startup help stuff Microsoft have like BizSpark?
I don't know if it's applicable or not for your situation, but unlike the student stuff you will be able to use it for business to some limited degree.

Either way I wish you the best with your adventure :3

*hugs*

Blizzard

I this something like LinkedIn?
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Zeriab

If it is like LinkedIn then I have linked to the wrong stuff.
The about page does mentions this:
QuoteLaunched in November 2008, the BizSpark program is designed to help accelerate the success of entrepreneurs and early-stage startups globally. The program provides fast and easy access to current, full-featured software development tools and platforms, and a connection to over 2,000 BizSpark Network Partners - including university incubators, hosters, government agencies, investors, consultants and financial institutions - all with a common goal of supporting entrepreneurship. BizSpark startups also have the opportunity to achieve global visibility to an audience of potential investors, customers, and partners by profiling their company and posting offers and events in the BizSpark online networking hub, BizSpark Connect. Join a community of over 35,000 startups enrolled in BizSpark by signing up today.

I'm not really sure :huh:

tSwitch

Hey dudes and dudettes, first beta is set to begin Monday February 7th.  The beta
version will contain a couple of test levels, and the game is nearly feature complete. 

Donate at least $5 to recieve all pre-order benefits including early beta access.

Ryex

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

tSwitch

Blue levels are nearing completion, we are now on Indie DB, and the next round of the beta should be going out by tomorrow.

tSwitch

Colorful Public Beta (a.k.a. NAMKCOR's Quest for some Goddamned Feedback) has begun: http://www.indiedb.com/games/colorful

AliveDrive

Colorful = Addicting like a drug.

Got stuck on Lv. 30. Couldn't seem to time it right.

Everything is awesome and well done.
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.