Re: ou

Started by Blizzard, February 02, 2011, 06:26:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

Quote from: topic titleNeed a favour

You British or something? :V
Meh, I'm just being an ass. Because of a naming inconsistency between color and colour in Ogre we've had a few problems so I hate it when I see the British way of writing it with ou instead of just o. D:
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

The Niche

Irish. I just prefer spelling that way :L. (Protip: Do not get PHM started on ou and o. You will never be able to look at either spelling again without shuddering)
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Ryex

just want to say that phonetically ou doesn't make any sense. I think the euro branch of the English language is stupid for all it little misspellings that don't make phonetic sense. (btw if this conversations continues I vote it be split into academics)
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Futendra

Quote from: The Niche on February 05, 2011, 08:31:33 am
Then scroll down. @Ryex: Phonetically a lot of things don't make sense. However, a quick question. Pedobear or Paedobear?

Im not dumb, I see 3 swords and alot of lines that I cant seem to explain what it is...

Ryex

Quote from: The Niche on February 05, 2011, 08:31:33 am
Then scroll down. @Ryex: Phonetically a lot of things don't make sense. However, a quick question. Pedobear or Paedobear?
Pedobear
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

The Niche

And I'm guessing you'd spell it that way because that's how it was originally spelt, despite the fact that that means foot fet!sh bear. Ou is the original spelling.

@Futendra: I'll upload the image in landscape.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Power Hungry Midget

Quote from: Ryex on February 05, 2011, 04:40:56 am
just want to say that phonetically ou doesn't make any sense. I think the euro branch of the English language is stupid for all it little misspellings that don't make phonetic sense. (btw if this conversations continues I vote it be split into academics)

WHAT?!?!? If it's without the ou then it sounds retarded. It's a cull-ore not a co-laur. It's On-er not hone-or. DAMN YOU AMERICANS. Changing it to o is leading to the eventual downfall of the English language. It's now acceptable to put a z in -ise instead of the s, in Ireland. We're all doomed. Next we'll be talking like cavemen. The end is nigh. Spell your words properly while you can. I'm going to go cut myself while screaming at my Oxford dictionary.

The plot thickens......

I have a mind to join a club and then beat you over the head with it.
     -Groucho Marx
I often quote myself. I find it adds spice to the conversation.
     -George Bernard Shaw

http://xkcd.com/303

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.
    -Oscar Wilde

Ryex

March 01, 2011, 06:52:26 pm #7 Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 06:53:36 pm by Ryex
Quote from: Power Hungry Midget on March 01, 2011, 04:59:01 pm
Quote from: Ryex on February 05, 2011, 04:40:56 am

WHAT?!?!? If it's without the ou then it sounds retarded. It's a cull-ore not a co-laur. It's On-er not hone-or. DAMN YOU AMERICANS. Changing it to o is leading to the eventual downfall of the English language. It's now acceptable to put a z in -ise instead of the s, in Ireland. We're all doomed. Next we'll be talking like cavemen. The end is nigh. Spell your words properly while you can. I'm going to go cut myself while screaming at my Oxford dictionary.

wrong:

cull-ore phonetically is color.
On-er phonetically is honer.

also language is by nature plastic if it dose not change with the people then language will just branch off and the old language will die.

(split into debate time?)

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Ryex on March 01, 2011, 06:52:26 pm
On-er phonetically is honer.

Except it's not spelled honer in either american or british english. Also, I prefer the british spelling, just for the way it looks.. let's say, it looks more natural to me, and I can write it more fluently. Also, I have a fetish for british and irish (especially irish) accents. :V
What you all should accept though, is that there are two spellings for those words, and that both are completely right. There's no sense in argueing over that.

winkio

I don't care how you spell it, even if you spell it wrong.  I just want to say that -ou- makes me think of 'gout' 'pouch' and 'couch', which all have that weird sound that for all i know is represented phonetically by 'aouw'

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: winkio on March 01, 2011, 07:20:22 pm
I don't care how you spell it, even if you spell it wrong.  I just want to say that -ou- makes me think of 'gout' 'pouch' and 'couch', which all have that weird sound that for all i know is represented phonetically by 'aouw'

Well, naturally. You're american.

winkio

March 01, 2011, 07:27:48 pm #11 Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 07:28:49 pm by winkio
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on March 01, 2011, 07:22:59 pm
I don't care how you spell it, even if you spell it wrong.  I just want to say that -ou- makes me think of 'gout' 'pouch' and 'couch', which all have that weird sound that for all i know is represented phonetically by 'aouw'

Hooray!

EDIT: Oh wait sorry were you trying to make a point?  It seemed like we were just stating the obvious...

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: winkio on March 01, 2011, 07:27:48 pm
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on March 01, 2011, 07:22:59 pm
I don't care how you spell it, even if you spell it wrong.  I just want to say that -ou- makes me think of 'gout' 'pouch' and 'couch', which all have that weird sound that for all i know is represented phonetically by 'aouw'

Hooray!

EDIT: Oh wait sorry were you trying to make a point?  It seemed like we were just stating the obvious...

I was stating the obvious. I was not arguing, I was just saying that naturally it would seem weird to you if you were raised with a different usage of "ou".

winkio

okay cool.  *splits topic*