Zer0 Division Engine

Started by ForeverZer0, March 02, 2011, 10:45:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

oh I'm fine with that. that was bound to happen if more than one coder worked on the project anyway.  I would like to propose the the RMPY topic be moved here too.

as for the code already written for RMPY.  I don't mind if the back end works differently but I would like to develop ARC in the same vain as RMPY in that we strive for a modular, plugin/component based system.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

March 03, 2011, 07:27:53 pm #21 Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 07:29:17 pm by Blizzard
Plugin based development is a must. xD
I will move the topic now.

EDIT: Actually wait. Are you going to finish RMPY? If yes, then the topic should stay there.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Aqua

It'd be really cool if I worked on this.
It'd give me a lot of experience and stuff, since this is what I wanna study in college...

But... I don't know what I'd be able to provide to the team.
So... D:

Blizzard

You can still provide a lot. If you are given a structure, you can code by that structure. :)

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

oh I was thinking RMPY could merge with ARC. I would finish the RMXP mode still but if you don't the RMXP mode thats fine and I'll keep RMPY separate.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

Well, ARC would be a separate engine and editor. The "RMXP mode" is something that would be done solely through scripts. Basically you get rid of the ARC scripts, insert the RTP scripts and add the RMXP compatibility script and that's that.

ForeverZer0

I do have one question now that his is a collaborative project and the original concept has changed slightly.
Is this still going to be built on a .NET framework with IronRuby, or we solely using C++ with normal Ruby 1.9 embedded? I realize that we are still in the pre-planning stages, but I know myself and many others in the group are already familiar with .NET, not that any of us are incapable of learning it.

I know we plan to maintain cross-platform comapatibility, and I have heard that .NET is capable of running on any platform, though I have yet to see it myself. If not, there are other similar options such as Mono-Project that may be worth looking into as a viable option.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

March 04, 2011, 04:28:31 pm #27 Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 04:30:24 pm by Blizzard
If we use .NET and C#, we will have to implement everything ourselves. If we go with C++ and April, we already have a lot of problems solved. That's why I suggest C++ and April with embedded Ruby 1.9.x. I'm not sure how well Mono is going, but I do know that you have to pay for Mono for iOS. Also, we could probably forget Android in that case.
When you see the topic about April (I'll post it tomorrow), you will have a better overview of our options.

ForeverZer0

Okay, that makes sense.

I'll check out April and start brushing up on some C++ tonight...  :P
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

G_G

ARC. Our school has that. Academic Resource Center. I'm forced to go. Its a study hall of hell. Except it disguises itself as a heaven with everyone in there being an angle. There is no FREEDOM at all.

tSwitch

If I may, I'd like to suggest lua for the scripting language, as it's easy to use and pretty much the fastest out there.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Blizzard

I know that. What about RMXP backwards compatibility?

G_G

Oh okay I was so confused. >.< I thought we were removing ruby period. Just so I understand, we are building the engine in C++ but using Ruby as well correct? And will this make converting RMXP scripts easier?

Blizzard

March 06, 2011, 03:37:22 pm #33 Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:38:33 pm by Blizzard
The plan is a base engine in C++. Then we will make our own set of scripts for the game logic. We will also make a special set for compatibility with RMXP. In that case you have the remove the default ARC scripts, add the compatibility scripts and add RMXP's default scripts. Basically you are running RMXP's game logic on the Zer0 Division engine.
If we decided to go with Lua instead, we would probably have to abandon RMXP compatibility and that wouldn't be such a good idea because the plan is to use RMXP's popularity and vast amount of resources and scripts in order to gain popularity among RMXP users.

G_G

ForeverZer0

I think abandoning Ruby should be out of the question. Although there are likely other scripting languages that may even be better suited for this, by changing it you will lose a great portion of our target users. Basically what Blizz said.

Lore

So what happens if I want to help? o.o
I'm pretty much aspiring to major in Computer Science when I graduate High School, so I think this will give me heaps of experience. I've played with Turning for a year, and just finished my Grade 11 Java course with a 95 final mark, so in terms of programming, I know quite a bit. If we're going to be coding in C++, I think I can get used to it very quickly, since it's mostly new syntaxes. I'm new to the whole concept of .NET and such, so I think this'll be a nice learning process, especially if it's a highly organized and structured project.
If one of you guys wants to talk about this with me and explain to me what needs to be done, email: painshop@hotmail.com and if you have Windows Live Messenger, just add me. I'm actually pretty intrigued with the project, since I noticed that using RMXP for so long, it got really boring and I couldn't commit to a lot of projects. But once I started actually programming, I've had a lot of determination so far, so let's get this thing rolling! :)
Facebook is like your fridge. You know nothing is in there, but you check every 5 minutes anyways.

Ryex

we're not using .net just c++ with embedded ruby.  other that that just fallow the instructions in the SVN thread and you should be able to take part.

Aqua

Not sure if this is the best thread to ask in... but meh...

Will this use "real"-world physics?
If so, I think I'd have programming that XD

Lore

What do you mean by real-world physics? Like if a character jumps, they accelerate with a certain velocity and then decellerate due to gravity?
Also, I just opened Visual C++ 2010 Express. Damn, the interface looks really sleek. I've been using Netbeans for Java, but I'm really going to start practicing with VC++ while there's no real work to be done for ARC.
Facebook is like your fridge. You know nothing is in there, but you check every 5 minutes anyways.