Author Topic: Song of Destruction PRODUCTION  (Read 3357 times)

Offline winkio

• Epiq
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Chaos
  • LV: 199
  • I am lying.
    • View Profile
Song of Destruction PRODUCTION
« on: March 03, 2011, 10:20:43 PM »
Song of Destruction
A Chaos-Project Community Game

Development Version
Below you can find development versions of RMXP projects needed to work on specific development tasks.  These may not represent the full game, and may not include unneeded resources or unfinished areas:

Full Development: none
This version includes all resources, scripts, and maps that are in the game up to the date it was posted.

Mapping Development: none
This version includes all Mapping-related resources, but will not include additional graphics.  This will include approved maps from the mapping tournament, but no other maps.

Scripting Development: none
This version simply includes all scripts and script-related resources.  There will only be a few test/debug maps included.

Production Log
This is the project's production log.  Tasks will be organized in outline forum, first by broad topic, then by subtopic.  People working on the tasks will be noted in parenthesis next to the task.  A general summary of progress can be found after the names.

Active Production:
(click to show/hide)

Future Production:
(click to show/hide)

Completed Production:
(click to show/hide)

This thread is where the main development and discussion for the game takes place.  This could get out of hand very quickly with all the people trying to contribute, so let's follow some simple rules:
1.  Check the production log in the first post often - it will stay organized with everything important.
2.  Discuss what you feel needs to be discussed - there will probably be separate discussions going on simultaneously, but that's completely fine.  Again, refer to the first post to keep track of everything.
3.  Stay cool.  Don't get mad, frustrated, or offended.  And don't purposefully offend others.
4.  Be honest.  If you sign up for a task, but don't end up making any progress, don't lie and say 'it's almost done'.  Setbacks happen when we think we are farther ahead than we actually are, so if we are all honest on our progress, then there's no need to be upset if someone is taking a long time to finish a task :)
5.  Spam will inevitably end up in here - feel free to ignore it, don't make a huge deal about it.
6.  Flame posts will be DELETED on sight.  Multiple occurrences from the same user will lead to a ban.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 12:05:35 AM by winkio »

Offline AliveDrive

• Astral Trancist
  • LV: 17
  • Nyah!
    • View Profile
Re: Codename: "La Rpg"
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 10:29:43 PM »
So...how does one BEGIN a community driven rpg game?

I can map fairly well, though i suppose most people can too.

I have other skills, but mostly I can't script, or write a story. :/
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

Offline winkio

• Epiq
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Chaos
  • I am lying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 10:36:12 PM »
The first part of the planning phase is working out a story and game features.  These need to be worked out together so that we don't have any huge inconsistencies.

Let's brainstorm as much as we want, and then narrow it down to a final form.  I heard Niche wanted to do something steampunk?

Offline The Niche

• The Hair Man
  • Chaos User
  • LV: -171
  • Marvel at the hair.
    • View Profile
    • Laptops and Tea, the place to go for marketing your creativity!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 10:39:39 PM »
Well, first off, the promotion. While that's going on, we should get the story straight. After that, we'll need to decide on features and game length. Then, we implement those and do the mapping and all the other stuff.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

(click to show/hide)
I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Offline winkio

• Epiq
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Chaos
  • I am lying.
    • View Profile
Re: Codename: "La Rpg" PRODUCTION
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 12:58:54 AM »
alright, so I split the story out.  In general, post anything you want here, unless it's something big related to an active task (like WhiteRose's story), in which case you should make a new topic.

Offline Hatsamu

• Transcended Spirit
  • LV: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 02:49:48 AM »
If you happen to need a hand with title/game over images and such, I offer my graphic design skills.

^^

Offline winkio

• Epiq
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Chaos
  • I am lying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 02:58:50 AM »
awesome.  Once we start on the main development, I'm sure you will be put to work.  Just keep in mind that other people will be able to submit their own designs, and yours might not end up being picked as the final one, so don't get offended or anything :)

EDIT: alright, since we have our own section, let's come up with an organization that will suit our project.  I'm thinking that the main section (the only section that exists now), will just have 4 topics: News, Recruitment, and Production, and another topic named Public Release which is similar to an actual project thread with demos, screenshots, etc.
Then we could also have subforums pertaining to each area of production (story, features, mapping, scripts, etc.).  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 03:02:44 AM by winkio »

Offline WhiteRose

• Trying to code in Ruby
  • Lexima Warrior
  • LV: 127
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 03:04:58 AM »
awesome.  Once we start on the main development, I'm sure you will be put to work.  Just keep in mind that other people will be able to submit their own designs, and yours might not end up being picked as the final one, so don't get offended or anything :)

EDIT: alright, since we have our own section, let's come up with an organization that will suit our project.  I'm thinking that the main section (the only section that exists now), will just have 4 topics: News, Recruitment, and Production, and another topic named Public Release which is similar to an actual project thread with demos, screenshots, etc.
Then we could also have subforums pertaining to each area of production (story, features, mapping, scripts, etc.).  Thoughts?

no thoughts - act first, ask questions later ;)  It's really easy to merge split topics, but once you waste time being cautious, you never get it back.

:)

Offline Hatsamu

• Transcended Spirit
  • LV: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 03:10:49 AM »

I'd never get offended by something like that ^^

I work with the idea that overabundant samples or ideas get to a better development of a project rather than stubbornly trying to impose something that could lately be improved or even being totally changed for getting better results.

:)

Offline winkio

• Epiq
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Chaos
  • I am lying.
    • View Profile
Re: Song of Destruction PRODUCTION
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 03:41:51 AM »
Glad we are on the same page :)

I split the themes discussion out into it's own topic.  Now that the reorganization is finished, I'm going to go ahead and start topics for some of the missing parts of the planning phase.

EDIT: so, we have a good start on the planning phase, but I just want to make sure we don't lose our direction and keep moving forward:

1. Planning Phase - we've done some good brainstorming, but we should focus on working within the framework we already have.  There's still plenty of room to be creative.

1A. Story - We have the basic background down, but we should build up more on each of these individual sections.  We should start making separate topics for each of these discussions:
1)  The Church
2)  The Cult
3)  Magic
4)  Corruption
5)  The Kingdoms
6)  The World
(add more as needed)
Other than that, keep the discussion going in the topics we already have for the characters to make sure everything gets more fleshed out.

1B. Themes - We have been tossing around some themes, let's settle on a few and make topics to completely define them.

1C. Features - Same as Themes.  We have been tossing ideas around, let's settle on a few and make topics to completely define them.

1D. Title - There's good stuff happening here, but it might take some time to get it right.  Keep posting whenever you think of something good.

EDIT2: We are getting closer to the content development stage!  This is the stage where we create maps, graphics, music, etc.  As soon as we are ready, we will hold a mapping 'competition' of sorts.  It's not really a competition, because there are no winners or losers, but here is what is planned: we will decide on one zone (probably something easy like plains or woods) and have everyone who wants to try to map it.  Then, we will review all the submissions and determine which elements from each we liked.  Then we will try to combine these elements into a new mapping style for that zone.  Once we are satisfied with the zone using the new style, we will continue to use a similar general style for all zones.  Note that there will still be a lot of room to be creative within this style, especially in corruption zones.  Start sharpening your mapping skills!

EDIT3: Mapping tournament is up, so are some graphics and music tasks.  Also, I updated the first post.  There is also a new production category, 'Game Experience', which is dedicated to making sure that the entire game experience is exactly as desired.  This includes things like game balance, controls, in-game options, etc.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 09:42:26 PM by winkio »