William Discussion

Started by WhiteRose, March 03, 2011, 06:43:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatsamu

William sounds fine to me.

Add it some more "life" by having the avenger girl referring as him using a nickname maybe (Wil, Willy, whatever you want =P)

WhiteRose

March 03, 2011, 07:59:37 pm #21 Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 08:01:16 pm by WhiteRose
Alright, we'll go with William for the time being. I'll update the first post and topic title to reflect these changes.

EDIT: This can be changed later, of course, but it'll be nice to have some way to refer to the character other than 'the main character.' I figured I'd throw that out there in case we have any William-dissenters who have yet to show up and be heard.

AliveDrive

Will. The determined one. xD
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

winkio

Feel free to shoot this down, but what if William thought he was an orphan taken in by the Church, but the Old Wizard was William's long lost father?  This would be something we don't find out until near the end of the game:

On the night of William's birth, screams echoed throughout the halls of the building.  William's mother died during childbirth.  His father, in a fit of rage, storms out of the building because he can't handle the pain.  He ends up setting off on his own adventure in search of ancient magic described in the texts he had been reading, convinced that magic would have been able to save her.  The church ends up raising William, and he turns into a bright student.  Meanwhile, his father has traveled the world in search of magic.  He seems to have figured out all of Magic except one missing piece - a piece that William provides when they meet again.  His father does not recognize him, but when he hears his name, he begins to suspect who he is.  Nevertheless, he keeps this a secret until some dramatic climax (possibly involving Will's dead mother) where the whole relationship gets revealed.

WhiteRose

Quote from: winkio on March 03, 2011, 09:35:34 pm
Feel free to shoot this down, but what if William thought he was an orphan taken in by the Church, but the Old Wizard was William's long lost father?  This would be something we don't find out until near the end of the game:

On the night of William's birth, screams echoed throughout the halls of the building.  William's mother died during childbirth.  His father, in a fit of rage, storms out of the building because he can't handle the pain.  He ends up setting off on his own adventure in search of ancient magic described in the texts he had been reading, convinced that magic would have been able to save her.  The church ends up raising William, and he turns into a bright student.  Meanwhile, his father has traveled the world in search of magic.  He seems to have figured out all of Magic except one missing piece - a piece that William provides when they meet again.  His father does not recognize him, but when he hears his name, he begins to suspect who he is.  Nevertheless, he keeps this a secret until some dramatic climax (possibly involving Will's dead mother) where the whole relationship gets revealed.

That's fantastic! It ties everything together perfectly. I love it!

AliveDrive

It does put Will's whole back story into a neat little package.

Let's discuss this "missing element" shortly.

Is it something physical, (an heirloom, Will's mother's ring/necklace)

Is it something emotional, (The bond of family?)

I really like the addition wink. In order to have The Father be more suspicious, we could have him only put two and two together when he hears or reads Will's last/middle name somewhere. The Father would be overcome with emotion at the possibility of reuniting with his son. Maybe he's known for a while and has been secretly helping Will from afar, too ashamed to face him.

Not trying to be off topic, this story is good and blends very naturally.
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

WhiteRose

Quote from: AliveDrive on March 04, 2011, 06:10:35 am
It does put Will's whole back story into a neat little package.

Let's discuss this "missing element" shortly.

Is it something physical, (an heirloom, Will's mother's ring/necklace)

Is it something emotional, (The bond of family?)

I really like the addition wink. In order to have The Father be more suspicious, we could have him only put two and two together when he hears or reads Will's last/middle name somewhere. The Father would be overcome with emotion at the possibility of reuniting with his son. Maybe he's known for a while and has been secretly helping Will from afar, too ashamed to face him.

Not trying to be off topic, this story is good and blends very naturally.

I think the two of them having the same last name would be too obvious, both for the player and for the characters. They'd catch on within hours. My opinion is that the idea of him helping from a far seems a little contrived, especially the fact that he'd have to be following (physically or through some means of tracking) William after his kidnapping and during his journey home.

As for the "missing link," I like winkio's idea that it is a forgotten material (Titanium) that William happens to discover during his adventure. Perhaps he manages to acquire a sample of it while escaping from the Cult? Maybe they had already discovered the power of Titanium and are trying to use it to break the seal on the Creators.

AliveDrive

My storywriting is pretty fail, not gonna lie.

But so far I like where it's going! :)