Author Topic: ARC Community Feedback  (Read 58257 times)

Offline legacyblade

• Pretzel Man
  • Chaos User
  • LV: 84
  • There is a fate worse than hell
    • View Profile
    • SpencerConrad.com
Re: ARC Community Feedback
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 10:01:58 PM »
Another way to phrase Niche's request is mirroring. It would be nice to be able to have a x-mirror and y-mirror mode while drawing. Especially if the point from which it's mirrored can be set at will and the mode can be switched on and off while you're drawing the map without changing how any existing bits of the map look (so if I wanted a symmetrical row of trees on either side of a road. I'd activate x-mirror and set the mirror point to the center of the road. Then I'd draw the trees on one side, and it'd automatically be drawn on the other. Then I'd deactivate the mirror and drawing would work normally.)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 10:04:54 PM by legacyblade »

Offline Lore

• Ethereal Devastator
  • LV: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 01:11:43 AM »
Or, you can just select that clump of trees, press CTRL + C, then go to the other side of the road and press CTRL + V :P

But yeah, I can see how useful that is. I second this symmetry mode idea. Speaking of geometry, is there a possibility we can include full resizing and rotation capabilities to the tiles? It would be cool if we could select certain tiles on a certain layer (Maybe with a special selection mode) and be able to rotate by 90 degrees at a time (Upside down trees for the win), and resize the tiles as the user sees fit (Of course this would lead to pixelation, but that's up to the user and provides more freedom) kind of how it works in Paint (With the whole box around the object and those tiny boxes in the corner that you use to control the size by dragging them).
Facebook is like your fridge. You know nothing is in there, but you check every 5 minutes anyways.

Offline ForeverZer0

• CP's Pedophile
  • Global Moderator
  • Guardian of Chaos
  • LV: 294
  • Remember you are unique, just like everyone else.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 04:50:18 AM »
I personally don't see the need, nor would likely ever use the mirroring technique, but we'll leave that up to the whole development team. Its been included in the ideas section.

I think the idea of being able to simply have the tiles drawn either turned or flipped would be a pretty slick idea, and wouldn't be hard to code either. It could also help cut down on tileset sizes.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • LV: 642
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
    • You're already on it. (-_-')
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 09:27:17 AM »
"move to other layer" option for selected tiles. I hate it when I accidentally make half a map and then I realize that I was mapping on the wrong layer. How awesome would it have been that all I had to do was select the tiles quickly, right click and choose "Move to layer below" or "Move to layer above". ._.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze      King of Booze: Never Ever      Pet Bots
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android      Pet Bots for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS      Pet Bots for iOS
Drinking Game on Steam

Quote from: winkio
I do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney Stinson
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Offline The Niche

• The Hair Man
  • Chaos User
  • LV: -171
  • Marvel at the hair.
    • View Profile
    • Laptops and Tea, the place to go for marketing your creativity!
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 12:07:08 PM »
"move to other layer" option for selected tiles. I hate it when I accidentally make half a map and then I realize that I was mapping on the wrong layer. How awesome would it have been that all I had to do was select the tiles quickly, right click and choose "Move to layer below" or "Move to layer above". ._.

It'd be blizzgasmic.

@Zer0: While I agree it could lead to some bad mapping, it'd be incredibly helpful for designing rooms, or something big like a castle.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

(click to show/hide)
I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Offline Ryex

• Arctic Bird of Programming
  • Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
  • LV: 197
  • Wants to write a compiler for fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 12:15:36 PM »
or anything that you want symmetry on
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.

DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Xuroth

• Awakened Visionist
  • LV: 6
  • *smite!* oops...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 02:15:07 AM »
An expansion on winkio's suggestion:

Import/Export individual events and maps to/from files.

Possibly do this for other things in the database? Like a container file for Tilesets so that an artist could create a Tileset, set the passability and priorities, then export it as a .tileset file which someone else could download and import directly into ARC. You could do the same for Animations...

2) be able to use .gifs my bad, already mentioned... but maybe allow windowskins and tilesets to display them?

3)I'd say compatibility for RMXP projects is important. Even with all-new features, it should support importing your RMXP project so you can pick up pretty much where you left off

and I have a question... Is this going to be commercial? if so, what would be a good estimate on the price?

Offline G_G

• Green Gmod Game_Guy AKA G4 AKA hyper-G AKA G-force
  • Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
  • LV: 407
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 02:20:58 AM »
Suggestion 3. We are implementing Ruby into ARC. This should allow full compatibility with all scripts and all rmxp projects as we are re writing all hidden classes as well.

As for the price, it will most likely be free and even possibly open source. However if you want your project to be commercial there will most likely be a one time fee for all commercial projects you may make. Most likely between 200-500 US dollars.

Offline Xuroth

• Awakened Visionist
  • LV: 6
  • *smite!* oops...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 02:39:07 AM »
Actually, I dont plan on ever making a commercial project. In fact, I doubt I will ever even complete any project/game. Man, I can't wait to try this out!

Offline G_G

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 02:40:25 AM »
Suggestion 3. We are implementing Ruby into ARC. This should allow full compatibility with all scripts and all rmxp projects as we are re writing all hidden classes as well.

As for the price, it will most likely be free and even possibly open source. However if you want your project to be commercial there will most likely be a one time fee for all commercial projects you may make. Most likely between 200-500 US dollars.

Let me reword that a bit.

There will be a one time fee allowing you to make any project commercial.

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 09:39:38 AM »
Exactly. You can use ARC and the RTP free of charge and you can even use the RTP outside of ARC. Only if you decide to sell a game, you have to pay us a one-time fee of either $200 or $400. We haven't decided upon the price yet. That fee is per game which means if you make more than one game, you have to pay more than once. This does not apply to updates and patches of the game. If you have paid once for a game, you can release patches and updates as much as you want without having to pay again.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 09:41:01 AM by Blizzard »

Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android      Pet Bots for Android
Drinking Game on Steam

Offline nathmatt

• Chaos User
  • LV: 114
  • The Add_on King
    • View Profile
    • Nathmatt Productions
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 06:31:27 AM »
intergrated mouse support would be nice with event conditions of hover, left click, right click, also all the keybord keys support already integrated would be nice too. 
Join Dead Frontier
Sorry, I will no longer be scripting for RMXP. I may or may not give support for my scripts. I don't have the will to script in RGSS anymore.
My script
(click to show/hide)

Offline ForeverZer0

• CP's Pedophile
  • Global Moderator
  • Guardian of Chaos
  • LV: 294
  • Remember you are unique, just like everyone else.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2011, 06:37:35 AM »
intergrated mouse support would be nice with event conditions of hover, left click, right click, also all the keybord keys support already integrated would be nice too.  

Thats a really good idea. I'm surpised nobody, myself included, didn't think of that yet. Maybe even a way to refactor the names of your input constants integrated right into the editor, as well.

* adds idea to original post *

EIDT: Fixed my typo. Sorry, I have a little OCD.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:43:14 AM by ForeverZer0 »
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Offline nathmatt

• Chaos User
  • LV: 114
  • The Add_on King
    • View Profile
    • Nathmatt Productions
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 06:42:19 AM »
i figured when making scripts especialy 1s that use the mouse would be nice not to require both Blizzards mouse script and Blizz-ABS of Tons
Join Dead Frontier
Sorry, I will no longer be scripting for RMXP. I may or may not give support for my scripts. I don't have the will to script in RGSS anymore.
My script
(click to show/hide)

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2011, 11:13:40 AM »
Lol, I thought that goes without saying.
I did mention it a few times actually when I mentioned that ARC was supposed to be RMXP without limitations of screen resolution, input, etc. Mouse and Keyboard are both input.

Drinking Game on Steam

Ryaryu

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2011, 11:50:55 AM »
Hello. I'm interested in this project :D
Well, I have some suggestions:

1. Zoom support for maps, and, why not, battles?
2. Graphic techniques like heightmaps, lightmaps, shaders, etc.
3. Height attribute in maps. For example, take a brigde. At the same time, I would want that the player can pass by it, while a NPC character pass below it.
4. Scripts editor's functions like others IDEs. (CTRL+Spacebar ftw).
5. A way to use Arrays in event programming. And variables as indexes!
6. Custom BattleBack. In other words, battlebacks build with maps. In other words, "animated" battlebacks.
7. Graphic acceleration by hardware... i believe you already doing that with april. Since ruby only run "single cored", it would be good if ARC uses the graphic card "powers", at least.

Sorry for the bad english!

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2011, 01:18:30 PM »
Please take a look at this discussion from another thread:

I think we should implement a ragdoll feature. All the characters are broken into separate parts (Head, Body, etc) and the movement of each part would flow together. We could have an easy to edit system where you simply import sprite sheets of a specific part (Say you just draw on a new armor for the body) and the engine will automatically piece together the parts you want onto a character. So if you make Bronze Armor, you simply make the item point to the Bronze Armor sprite sheet and it'll be a simple ragdoll system.

How about we make it 3D right away?

Just sayin' for the future. >:
Sorry, one step at a time, gotcha.

I think that this is really, really unnecessary. You are completely missing the point of ARC. ARC is supposed to be better than RMXP. It is supposed to have the NECESSARY and IMPORTANT functionality and performance that RMXP is missing (e.g. easy way to changed the resolution of the game). It's not supposed to be Unity or the UT engine.

This is NOT an RPG Maker that is supposed to have all possible features and scripts from RMXP already implemented! This is not an MMO Maker, this is not a 3D engine, this is not Blizz-ABS, this is not a giant project that will be RMXP + all possible scripts that have been made for RMXP. Why do people fail to understand that? Is it so hard to understand that this is a 2D RPG Maker that provides the necessary features so you don't have to use scripts for basic stuff like proper keyboard input, change of resolution, number of frames for spritesets, pixel movement, etc.
This is exactly the reason why other similar projects have failed. They started adding anything possible they could think of and ended up with canceling the project because it got too complicated or some things were possible or as simple as they imagined.

2. Graphic techniques like heightmaps, lightmaps, shaders, etc.
3. Height attribute in maps. For example, take a brigde. At the same time, I would want that the player can pass by it, while a NPC character pass below it.
6. Custom BattleBack. In other words, battlebacks build with maps. In other words, "animated" battlebacks.

No, no and no. The first one is a feature of 3D engines. This is NOT a 3D engine. If you want a 3D engine and shaders, go use Unity, UT or something. This is NOT a 3D engine.
Though, we will try to figure something out for the bridge problem. It's really a bit too messy in RMXP to handle.

7. Graphic acceleration by hardware... i believe you already doing that with april. Since ruby only run "single cored", it would be good if ARC uses the graphic card "powers", at least.

RMXP seems to have a software renderer implemented for DirectX rather than using hardware renderer. I'm sure that ARC games will run a lot faster because of a proper backend. At least I will code the renderer best to my abilities.

1. Zoom support for maps, and, why not, battles?

While this feature will not be available "by click", unlike RMXP making a script for something like this will be actually possible. And that script should end up being pretty small.

4. Scripts editor's functions like others IDEs. (CTRL+Spacebar ftw).

This is not an IDE (Intelligent Development Environment). While we will try to add commonly used functionalities from IDEs, ARC this will have just a simple scripts editor with syntax coloring, auto indent (CTRL+K, then CTRL+D in C# anyone?) and maybe code completion. These are pretty much all the features you need to work properly. The rest is luxury and usually not necessary. Most IDEs have been coded by dozens of people through several years. We don't have the manpower to do something like this and we don't really need to. But we will definitely make sure that ARCEd as a whole is userfriendly, easy to use and provide all the features you actually need with some useful extras.

5. A way to use Arrays in event programming. And variables as indexes!

As soon as you start thinking like that, it means you shouldn't event it but script it. Even though we will give more control over this stuff than RMXP did, it will be more or less just basic. Events are not supposed to substitute scripts, they are supposed to make it easier for people who can't program, to make a game without programming knowledge. Iteration through arrays is quite close to actual programming.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 01:23:01 PM by Blizzard »

Drinking Game on Steam

Ryaryu

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2011, 09:26:56 PM »
Don't take me wrongly!
I don't wish a 3D engine. Blender's for it... it's free and good. The second suggestion is based in another engine that I have seen somewhere... google this engine: Ethanon Engine. It implements those features, lightmaps, blablabla, but is a 2D engine, using some 3D features! I would just make it with scripts, but Ruby is too slow. Would be great, if done with C++ or a later plugin.

I liked the idea about the script editor - if I have the code completion I'll be happy. :D

About the events, I don't know if you have made complex events before. Specifying every action for every possible index is a pain in the ass. I've done it before. For example, built a event CMS Item Menu. Depending on the implementation, and Database size, I would have to specify more than 100 conditions. Just for one menu... A array system would be a great advancement for event programmers.

Oh yes! The custom Battleback is not really hard (neither 3D '-'). Maybe i'm asking too much. It's just integrate a battle with a map (RMXP's maps) as background. This way, the scenario will be able to react to the battle - for example, a blast can make a "hole" character appear in the ground. But now i believe that this feature could come with a normal script. Forget it.

Now that i've cleared the suggestions, i may leave. You guys will choose what is important and what is not. Good work!
And sorry for the bad english.

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2011, 11:00:10 PM »
Don't take me wrongly!
I don't wish a 3D engine. Blender's for it... it's free and good. The second suggestion is based in another engine that I have seen somewhere... google this engine: Ethanon Engine. It implements those features, lightmaps, blablabla, but is a 2D engine, using some 3D features! I would just make it with scripts, but Ruby is too slow. Would be great, if done with C++ or a later plugin.

Technically you don't need these kinds of features in a 2D engine. You can simply make your graphics look like it from the beginning.

About the events, I don't know if you have made complex events before. Specifying every action for every possible index is a pain in the ass. I've done it before. For example, built a event CMS Item Menu. Depending on the implementation, and Database size, I would have to specify more than 100 conditions. Just for one menu... A array system would be a great advancement for event programmers.

I am aware of that. That's why we will give more control over certain things than RMXP did. After all, it will support event command plugins which is already awesome enough by itself. xD

Oh yes! The custom Battleback is not really hard (neither 3D '-'). Maybe i'm asking too much. It's just integrate a battle with a map (RMXP's maps) as background. This way, the scenario will be able to react to the battle - for example, a blast can make a "hole" character appear in the ground. But now i believe that this feature could come with a normal script. Forget it.

Exactly my point. There is no need to implement every possible feature that comes to one's mind. That's what scripting is for.

Now that i've cleared the suggestions, i may leave. You guys will choose what is important and what is not. Good work!
And sorry for the bad english.

We appreciate your contribution and we will try to do our best.

Drinking Game on Steam

Offline G_G

• Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2011, 12:51:22 AM »
Came to my mind. Option to choose from tile movement and pixel movement perhaps?