Structure

Started by Blizzard, March 04, 2011, 08:04:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

I have been thinking a bit about the structure of the application. I think that a similar structure like RMXP would be a good idea here. We have a very small main executable which mainly just runs the whole thing and we have a DLL where the actual smart part is.

I will put together a list of classes and a structure for the engine, then we can discuss it.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ForeverZer0

Yes, let's keep the number of files pretty small. I personally dislike programs that fill an entire folder with countless files that could have just as easily been compiled together. Maybe it's my OCD thing, but I thing it just a bunch of extra clutter.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Ryex

I like this idea. having the large parts of the engine held outside of the executable seems right.  I guess the main executable would hold the static ruby and load libraries to expose their interfaces to ruby?
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

March 06, 2011, 07:06:31 am #3 Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:53:03 am by Blizzard
Nope. Ruby will be in zer0division.dll. The actual Game.exe will have the absolute minimum possible. Update your SVN working copy, I already added that stuff. zer0 is already being statically linked with Ruby. I just haven't added any Ruby/C++ interface code yet so the library is never actually included for now.

EDIT: Actually I just had an idea. It will be a lot easier if we first made a clone engine of RMXP. We will make Zer0 Division our way, then add the script layer for RMXP script compatibility. Once we have done that and we have a tested engine that works, we can start modifying the engine in such a way that it gets better than RMXP. What do you think about that?

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

March 07, 2011, 03:08:14 am #4 Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 07:28:57 am by Ryex
in other words we make the back end compatible with what we want to do eventually. then add a layer of ruby scripts that translates it to the RMXP interface so that the default scripts work.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

ForeverZer0

Quote from: Blizzard on March 06, 2011, 07:06:31 am
EDIT: Actually I just had an idea. It will be a lot easier if we first made a clone engine of RMXP. We will make Zer0 Division our way, then add the script layer for RMXP script compatibility. Once we have done that and we have a tested engine that works, we can start modifying the engine in such a way that it gets better than RMXP. What do you think about that?

<3
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.