Cult discussion

Started by winkio, March 06, 2011, 06:56:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

So there's this cult that's trying to free the gods.  They also kidnap William (and Alice?), as well as slaughter Alice's family.  Let's come up with some background here.

AliveDrive

The Cult shouldn't just be doing this because they're all pissed off at the world. It's ok if that's a main motive of the Cult's leader, but the majority of them need to believe they are truly fighting for what is right/ a noble cause somehow. That's what would make it seem more real to me anyways.
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

Shalaren

March 06, 2011, 07:13:14 pm #2 Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 07:14:19 pm by Shalaren
Quote from: AliveDrive on March 06, 2011, 07:10:10 pm
The Cult shouldn't just be doing this because they're all pissed off at the world. It's ok if that's a main motive of the Cult's leader, but the majority of them need to believe they are truly fighting for what is right/ a noble cause somehow. That's what would make it seem more real to me anyways.

I second that.
it would make it more real if their motives were for good (which are not), good for their side of view at least.

WhiteRose

They could be sharing the ideals of the Creators - the world is purged by corruption, and has to be destroyed so a new, pure world can be created.

Also, it was never actually stated that they killed the Westbrook family; I can see how this would fit in, though, so maybe we should agree that they did. In that case, we're going to need to come up with a reason they did so.

AliveDrive

@WhiteRose, I knew there was a good explanation somewhere.

As for the family: Burn her, she's a witch! :P
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

winkio

Quote from: WhiteRose on March 06, 2011, 07:16:02 pm
Also, it was never actually stated that they killed the Westbrook family

Really?  I thought that was implied from this post:
Quote from: WhiteRose on March 03, 2011, 04:40:15 pm
Second Main Character: ShowHide

Race: Probably human
Occupation: Noble lady of a royal family, but they were killed and she is tracking down the killer.
Class Role: Warrior and damage sponge. High stamina and defense, and pretty good attacking power.
Personality: Brash, cynical, generally aggressive. Can be somewhat cold-hearted and unfriendly.

I think what is missing from this discussion is a 'how'.  We have a rough idea of what the cult is doing (killing people, searching for titanium, being sketchy as fuck, etc.), but we don't know the manner in which they are doing it.  Are they stealthy, do they storm the streets, do they work at night or during the day?  These types of things.

WhiteRose

Quote from: winkio on March 06, 2011, 09:38:35 pm
Quote from: WhiteRose on March 06, 2011, 07:16:02 pm
Also, it was never actually stated that they killed the Westbrook family

Really?  I thought that was implied from this post:
Quote from: WhiteRose on March 03, 2011, 04:40:15 pm
Second Main Character: ShowHide

Race: Probably human
Occupation: Noble lady of a royal family, but they were killed and she is tracking down the killer.
Class Role: Warrior and damage sponge. High stamina and defense, and pretty good attacking power.
Personality: Brash, cynical, generally aggressive. Can be somewhat cold-hearted and unfriendly.

I think what is missing from this discussion is a 'how'.  We have a rough idea of what the cult is doing (killing people, searching for titanium, being sketchy as fuck, etc.), but we don't know the manner in which they are doing it.  Are they stealthy, do they storm the streets, do they work at night or during the day?  These types of things.

Ah, I see what you're saying. Good point. I hadn't really thought that out. I'd say there are a variety of people in the cult, and they probably do things differently, but I do agree that there should be some sort of general method behind it. Fresh out of ideas at the moment, though.

AliveDrive

The Cult should be organized. Not a rag-tag band of degenerates performing random criminal acts. They need to be calculating, precise, and stealthy, working covertly at night. But leading normal lives during the day to avoid detection. It means we'll have to come up with a good reason for every assassination, including Alice's parent's death.

Ideas: In order from least to most calculating.

• They believe it to be the divine will of the Creators.
  • They kill because they need to capture innocent souls/blood for some sort of ritual.
  • They kill those that threaten the Cult's existence, perhaps those that wish to expose them/work towards capturing them.

I like the last idea the best, but it provides less opportunities for the Cult to do its dark deeds.

Hatsamu

My vote is on Stealthy. They could work both at night and day, diguised like "normal people" during daytime and more openly at nights.

They know the church is on control and they shouldn't be noticed.

Westbrook family was wealthy, isn't that a reason enough? They need money to keep their plans going on and they just take it time to time from richs. Fate just made them pick Alice's family as they could have picked any other rich family.

They got into their mansion/castle one night, killed them, took away everything they needed and burned the place to ashes (making it look like an accident, maybe)

Quote from: AliveDrive on March 07, 2011, 01:03:59 am
The Cult should be organized. Not a rag-tag band of degenerates performing random criminal acts. They need to be calculating, precise, and stealthy, working covertly at night. But leading normal lives during the day to avoid detection. It means we'll have to come up with a good reason for every assassination, including Alice's parent's death.

Ideas: In order from least to most calculating.

• They believe it to be the divine will of the Creators.
  • They kill because they need to capture innocent souls/blood for some sort of ritual.
  • They kill those that threaten the Cult's existence, perhaps those that wish to expose them/work towards capturing them.

I like the last idea the best, but it provides less opportunities for the Cult to do its dark deeds.

I've just read this. I think their deeds should be mainly search for titanium and a way to unseal the gods. I don't think they should be killing too many people but just the neccesary to keep their "organization" moving on. It makes it look more real for me. After all, actual "dark organizations" work more or like as this.

AliveDrive

What if Alice's parents had information that could expose certain individuals within the Cult (by any number of means). This would be strong motivation to prevent that from happening. It also increases the need for stealth at any time of day. If it is know that this identity works for the Cult then the church will enlist the kingdoms to hunt them down and execute them for high treason.

winkio

Maybe at first, it seemed like an unwarranted killing, but then we find out that Alice's father was originally part of the Cult, but thought they had gone too far, and wanted to expose them.

WhiteRose

Quote from: winkio on March 07, 2011, 01:38:38 am
Maybe at first, it seemed like an unwarranted killing, but then we find out that Alice's father was originally part of the Cult, but thought they had gone too far, and wanted to expose them.

That's a good idea; maybe Alice wouldn't be aware of this fact, and has to come to terms with the fact that her father wasn't the flawless man she had thought him to be. It would make for some interesting character development.

AliveDrive

Ah...the plot thickens.

Ryex

Quote from: WhiteRose on March 07, 2011, 01:55:38 am
Quote from: winkio on March 07, 2011, 01:38:38 am

That's a good idea; maybe Alice wouldn't be aware of this fact, and has to come to terms with the fact that her father wasn't the flawless man she had thought him to be. It would make for some interesting character development.

character development in a RMXP RPG!?!?! BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!

in all seriousness this is some good development. If you guys can pull off the dialog  and emotion therein this will be a great game.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />