Song of Destruction MAPPING TOURNAMENT

Started by winkio, March 08, 2011, 01:49:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

March 08, 2011, 01:49:59 pm Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 11:41:58 pm by winkio
Song of Destruction Mapping Tournament
A Chaos-Project Community Game

Welcome to the Mapping Tournament!  We invite you to show off your mapping skills and participate in developing the mapping style for Songs of Destruction!

Tournament Rules:

Round 1 (3 - 30 days):
1.  Create a series of maps for the zone.
2.  Upload your maps to a filehosting site (if it is not on a permanent site, pm me (winkio) the link and I will host it).
3.  Discuss the good things about the style in each submission.

Round 2 (continues indefinitely):
1.  Refine your maps, or create new ones, borrowing from the styles presented in each submission.
2.  Upload your maps to a filehosting site (if it is not on a permanent site, pm me (winkio) the link and I will host it).
3.  Discuss the which submissions are good enough to be put into the game, and which are not.
4a.  The people who have submissions that are voted to be good enough to be in the game win!  They receive a Songs of Destruction Mapping License, and are allowed to work on any future mapping tasks for the project.
4b.  The people who have submissions that are not voted to be good enough to be in the game may continue to refine their style and resubmit as many times as they want.  The only people that lose are those that give up completely.

Mapping Zone:
plains region: ShowHide

1.  The zone must have an entrance from the east (plains kingdom) and exits to the north (plains corruption zone) and southwest (mountains/caves).
2.  The zone must force the player to go to the corruption zone before heading to the mountains/caves.
3.  The zone should have something to make it interesting - puzzles, challenges, small villages, hidden routes, treasures, etc.
4.  The zone may include enemies in the form of events with character sets, but no actual battles are allowed to take place.  Enemies and NPCs are entirely optional, and do not need to be included if the mapper does not want them.
5.  Partial/unfinished submissions are accepted, so if you don't have time to finish it, just turn in what you have.  It is possible to get a temporary license with a partial submission, which will allow you to take on exactly one new mapping task.  If you complete the task well, you get a full license, if not, you have to retry.

Recommended RTP tilesets (You do not have to use all of these and you are allowed to use non-RTP tilesets/graphics):
(1) Grassland
(4) Mountain
(5) Beach
(23) Farm Village
(37) Fort

Mappers (unlicensed, temporary licensed, fully licensed):

• winkio

• Dweller

• AliveDrive

winkio

I've been messing around with different styles, here's a screenshot of one that I think came out well:

Spoiler: ShowHide

WhiteRose

Quote from: winkio on March 18, 2011, 01:14:36 am
I've been messing around with different styles, here's a screenshot of one that I think came out well:

It looks good. I do think that the ledges look very square - that's not your fault, as the autotile just is that way, but because you used it so much, it's more apparent. A possible solution would be to come up with an autotile that is the same style, but a little more rounded; I'm not sure if one has been created already, but I don't think it would be too hard to make. I know there has been an autotile created that does accomplishes a similar effect with water. (Which I have floating around somewhere, by the way, in case anyone needs it.)

Spaceman McConaughey

winkio

the bottom left edge of that doesn't look right.  But I do agree that a round autotile looks much better.

EDIT: also, all you people who said you wanted to map can get started any time now...

Dweller

I´m using RTP tileset (23) Farm Village. The next screen shows 3 maps (25x20, 25x20 and 43x20):

(I added a few objects to the default tileset):

Want some comments and crits before continue.
Dwellercoc

WhiteRose

Quote from: Dweller on March 18, 2011, 04:16:49 pm
I´m using RTP tileset (23) Farm Village. The next screen shows 3 maps (25x20, 25x20 and 43x20):

(I added a few objects to the default tileset):

Want some comments and crits before continue.

It looks good, but maybe try making the ground just a little more "cluttered." Add a few more objects like grass patches to make it look more natural.

[Luke]

Is it allowed to use the Kaliban resources? They look indeed awesome and kinda match the RTP (it's based on it), but if you have one single tree in Kaliban style, it forces the whole project to be made in that style, since the default RTP trees look just lame in comparison to the Kaliban ones.

WhiteRose

Quote from: [Luke] on March 18, 2011, 07:29:34 pm
but if you have one single tree in Kaliban style, it forces the whole project to be made in that style, since the default RTP trees look just lame in comparison to the Kaliban ones.

In that case, probably not. I believe our plan for this project is to mainly stick to RTP style graphics.

AliveDrive

March 20, 2011, 04:38:11 pm #9 Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 03:20:29 pm by AliveDrive
As you can tell, this is a work in progress.

Please critic any stylistic errors.

My computer is very crappy. That being said, I never hit below 23 FPS for more than a second and that was when all the firefly's came out.

Day - Night = 1 minute

Collect pollen/nectar from colored plants.

http://db.tt/QsAiMpv

Quote from: winkio on March 20, 2011, 06:23:56 pm
The pollen collecting thing is interesting, and we might be able to do something similar on most maps, we simply need to think of a use for it (crafting, trading, potion making, simply selling to the store, etc.)

Try selecting the pollen/nectar when you have 1 of each in your inventory. Then try selecting the honey when you have a honey and a potion.

I removed the fail rate, but I have completed this system with fail rate included in a previous game.

*MINOR UPDATE*!

• Butterflies, squirrels, bunnies, and birds are diurnal.

• Fireflies are nocturnal.

• Can't seem to fix the walk on water bug. Find it.

I will have 4 more maps done like this by the deadline. Until then, no updates. Game_Guy made me do it!

EDIT:

Warning 40x30: ShowHide

Yes I keep editing. I don't want to hog the topic with new posts for minor updates.
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

winkio

I like the mapping style and the general shapes, except for the V corners on the water - I'd much prefer rounded corners.

The pollen collecting thing is interesting, and we might be able to do something similar on most maps, we simply need to think of a use for it (crafting, trading, potion making, simply selling to the store, etc.)

The fireflies look nice, but their grid-like movement ruins the effect.  It would probably be something much better done as a particle effect.

Well done overall :)

winkio

March 24, 2011, 10:37:02 am #11 Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 12:03:08 pm by winkio
okay, since the mappers are less active than I thought, this system isn't going to be efficient.  Here's what we are going to do now:

1.  Pick a zone you want to map.
2.  Post a topic saying you are mapping this zone.
3.  Post progress updates from time to time and receive feedback in that topic.

AliveDrive

Sorry! I'm almost done. I've been doing 1-2 a day but got hung up on an eventing error (never using wait for moves completion again btw) Thanks to Game_Guy for the tip xD
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

Dweller

Update to my maps:
2Mb file: ShowHide

Tileset add-on:

Dwellercoc

WhiteRose

Quote from: Dweller on March 27, 2011, 06:51:50 am
Update to my maps:
2Mb file: ShowHide

Tileset add-on:

The water bucket on the right in your tileset add-on doesn't seem to stylistically fit in with the rest of the tileset; the saturation of the colours seems a little too high.

stripe103

April 29, 2011, 02:12:56 pm #15 Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 03:13:29 pm by stripe103
Here is my map. Used the Mountain tileset with some Mack autotiles.
Warning! 1600x1600 px and 1,22 MB: ShowHide

And some in game screens: ShowHide

nathmatt

thought id point out some graphic errors
Warning! 1600x1600 px and 1,22 MB: ShowHide
Join Dead Frontier
Sorry, I will no longer be scripting for RMXP. I may or may not give support for my scripts. I don't have the will to script in RGSS anymore.
My script

stripe103

I don't really see what you are pointing out. Is it the cliffs or the tileset or what is it?

nathmatt

yea the cliffs the edges are missing it makes it look level
Join Dead Frontier
Sorry, I will no longer be scripting for RMXP. I may or may not give support for my scripts. I don't have the will to script in RGSS anymore.
My script

stripe103

That is not an error, that is just the way I wanted to make that map. I don't want it to be level, I want it to look something like hills.