Battlescreen Mockup

Started by winkio, March 11, 2011, 12:04:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

So we need to figure out how we want our battle screen to look.

The battlescreen consists of the battleback, the battlers, the status display, the help display, and various command displays.  Come up with a mockup that organizes all of these.  Also, if the status window or any of the battlers use hp/sp/anything bars, include those in the mockup.

Normal battlebacks are 640x320, leaving a 640x160 space blank at the bottom for command windows.  All RTP battlebacks stretch vertically pretty well, so I see no problem with stretching it to the full 640x480 or even something in between, if we wanted.

While the default RMXP battle system uses windows for all the displays, we do not necessarily have to do that if we do not want to.  Instead, we can create HUD-like displays that are simply drawn over everything else.

For reference, here are some different battlescreens from famous 2D RPGs:
Spoiler: ShowHide

WhiteRose

Here is a quick (and I mean really quick) mockup that I just sketched by hand of a possible idea. It turned out a little blurry (my camera isn't very good,) so I'll translate what I wrote.

The menu on the left is the action selection menu. To the right of it is a window that pops out when "Magic" or "Item" or whatever is selected, allowing the player to select which one.

The party is on the right; they're kind of small, to make the monsters appear bigger and more epic. They're not extremely small, though; I'd say about 60% of RTP battlers, give or take a bit.

The enemies are on the side facing them. They have their own HP bars beneath them, in addition to possibly SP bars if they cast magic.

In the top right is the party HUD, displaying status, HP, SP, and MP.

So, thoughts?

winkio

Yeah, I was attempting to put together a mockup, and noticed that the battlers are enormous, so I think we have to place the battlers either horizontally or diagonally in order to fit everything.  I'm in favor of enemies having their own bars on their battlers, and underneath looks like a good spot for your setup.  Try and make a mockup using actual sprites when you can, but it looks good :)

Blizzard

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

AliveDrive

I like this.

We so we need battlers facing to the LEFT then?
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

G_G

WhiteRose, I fucking love your drawing <3 Its so cutsie. And your handwriting is 10x better than mine xD

WhiteRose

Quote from: game_guy on March 11, 2011, 10:35:42 am
WhiteRose, I fucking love your drawing <3 Its so cutsie. And your handwriting is 10x better than mine xD

Haha, thanks G_G.

Blizzard

My handwriting sucks in general. In comparison to your handwriting... Well, if your handwriting was an average person, then mine would be an ugly grandpa nazi zombie without an arm, a rotting eye and NO PENIS, OMG.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

winkio

March 12, 2011, 02:17:57 pm #9 Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 07:58:30 pm by winkio
so going back to WhiteRose's drawing:
1.  The action window (attack/item/magic/etc.) does not show all the time.  That leaves us with an awkward empty space in the corner.  Do we extend the help window underneath it, use the command window as a secondary help window instead of making it go away, or arrange stuff differently?

EDIT: by using it as a secondary help window, we could use it to display stuff like
QuoteGhost uses Haunt!  Critical Hit!  William takes 23 damage

Or since we are using timed hits, we can indicate when and what to press graphically.

EDIT2: to do this, we could have a little circle and the outline of a target.  The circle is programmed to move around differently for each attack/skill, but if you press it when it is in contact with the target outline, you get the timed hit.  If you press it when it is exactly in the center of the target (1 frame), it will critical.  For defense, in contact would be a normal block, in the center would be a perfect block (0 damage).  Thoughts?

EDIT3: in case anybody is still reading this topic, I'm just going to formally declare that I am working on a prototype of the battle system.  It is going to use the layout as depicted in WhiteRose's mockup and use the timed hits indicator I mentioned above.

WhiteRose

Quote from: winkio on March 12, 2011, 02:17:57 pm
EDIT3: in case anybody is still reading this topic, I'm just going to formally declare that I am working on a prototype of the battle system.  It is going to use the layout as depicted in WhiteRose's mockup and use the timed hits indicator I mentioned above.

Excellent. I look forward to seeing your prototype.

winkio

March 15, 2011, 08:52:47 pm #11 Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:07:29 pm by winkio
Well I have the layout and cursor/target system done, all that's left is to program the animation and damage change for timed hits and draw some bars.

EDIT: trying to find a better idea for the menu

Hatsamu

I really like how the characters are displayed.

Could anything like this quick example be done?

(I mean, using an image with some cool shape instead of a regular window, maybe making the actual window invisible and using the show image command?)

winkio

March 15, 2011, 10:42:53 pm #13 Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 10:58:24 pm by winkio
We can use any graphics we want, but personally I like windows better.  Also, I got an idea for how to make the menu better, but I won't have time until Friday.

EDIT: built in the damage effect of timed hits.  there's two possible types right now: it either multiplies the damage (x2 for perfect, x1.5 for timed), or adds additional damage (+d for perfect, +d/2 for timed).  The reason for both is that the system allows for multiple target frames per hit, for example, if it's something like cross slash, we could have two targets that add 20 damage each, etc.  Still working on animation.

EDIT2: finally finished animation.  Each target has the option of playing a new animation, so we could have combos/whatnot with different animations and sounds.  Just working on the bars and then I'll put up a prototype.

EDIT3: I got sidetracked making a new type of window for the commands, but I just finished that.  The actor bars are done, just have to put the enemy bars in and set up a few examples, and then I should be able to put up the prototype.  It's looking pretty great and playing even better :)