Author Topic: Envisioning the final product  (Read 1028 times)

Offline winkio

• Epiq
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Chaos
  • LV: 199
  • I am lying.
    • View Profile
Envisioning the final product
« on: March 18, 2011, 09:39:57 PM »
I just wanted to go over what our goal is for our final product, because I haven't said much about it yet.

The 2D RPG genre is retro, let us not ignore this fact.  We are not developing next-gen graphics or power, or anything of the sort.  I am explicitly stating this because we cannot try especially complex things in our game: they simply will not work.  We would do much better to build on the already existing genre, using similar control schemes, graphics, menus, etc.  This does not mean we are making a clone, or that we are conforming or anything like that.  It simply means that we are paying attention to the type of game that we are making.

While 2D battle systems may have been new and interesting when they first came out, they are old news now.  This is an area where we can come up with more variation to keep the player interested.  The battle experience should always be changing as the player levels up, and should not feel the exact same at the end of the game as at the beginning.

Graphical style has changed quite a bit over the years, from pixelation to smooth shading, and even a few recent trends like gloss.  RMXP uses smooth shading, and since we are relying on the RTP, we should continue that style throughout our game, including menus, battlers, particle effects, etc.

Finally, we have to compare ourselves with the competition.  RMXP has brought many projects to life, but very, very few have been on the same level as a classic SNES RPG.  This is simply a matter of keeping our quality standard high.  Everything in this project must be done correctly, and we must not leave out any minor detail, or add any extra clutter.  We will not be lazy, we are not doing this project just to get it done.  As long as we put the effort in, this game will turn out to be something spectacular.