Scripting for this project

Started by winkio, March 20, 2011, 01:38:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

March 20, 2011, 01:38:07 pm Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 01:51:51 pm by winkio
Since many people approach making/using scripts in different ways, I just wanted to go over a few things:

1.  Scripts for this project will not be publicly released.  Now, this may seem stupid, because the development is open and literally anybody that wants to will be able to download the game and copy the scripts.  This, however, is not a problem.  By not publicly releasing the scripts, we are simply saying that we won't support other people's use of them in any way, whether it be updating, modifying, compatibility, etc.

2.  Good coding is crucial.  Organize well, use comments, and alias methods when needed.

3.  Scripts will be heavily utilized in the graphics and animation department.  If anybody with graphics talent has an interest in learning scripting, there will be many opportunities to do so.  Don't worry, it's much easier than it looks, and I will provide help whenever you need it.

EDIT:
4.  Almost all of the scripts will be integrated, meaning that they wont each have their own script slot in the editor.  This keeps the scripts more organized and less complex, but it also means that you have to know what you are doing when you are working on them.  Ask questions.

Zeriab

Will there be written any automated tests?

winkio

March 20, 2011, 03:16:34 pm #2 Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 03:20:05 pm by winkio
I don't see any use for automated tests at this time.  We aren't looking to push the boundaries of what RMXP can handle, and the game is small enough that manual testing is doable.

Zeriab

There are without a doubt a use for automated tests. Don't kid yourself into believing otherwise.
Estimating that the value they provide are not worth the cost in your case is fine. That's what I wanted to know ^_^

*hugs*

winkio

Also, we shouldn't use any generic scripts at all.  Sure, something similar is fine, but the whole point of scripting is to make the game unique, not do the same thing as everyone else.

Hatsamu

Quote from: winkio on March 20, 2011, 01:38:07 pm

3.  Scripts will be heavily utilized in the graphics and animation department.  If anybody with graphics talent has an interest in learning scripting, there will be many opportunities to do so.  Don't worry, it's much easier than it looks, and I will provide help whenever you need it.

I like scripting buy have not many experience on it, if you guide me throw it I guess I'll manage to get good results though.

winkio

That's what I like to hear.  I'll help as much as you need.

Wizered67

I haven't really been helping with this project, but if you need scripts I would be glad to try some for practice.

Hatsamu

Well, I'm going to be busy the next 10 days as I'm working on a short film that requires lots of my time but just to let you know, regarding scripts I've done minor edits to existings scripts and I remember once making a new not-complex window scene all by myself

Minor Edits = Understanding how some things work and change them to fit my needs (with this I'm saying that I'm able of doing more than just changing name displays on scripts xP)

So I'll need to know what we need to be done with graphics+scripts so I can tell if I'm already able to do it or ask for specific guide.