Battle System

Started by winkio, March 21, 2011, 01:00:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

March 21, 2011, 01:00:27 am Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 01:04:21 am by winkio
Alright, the prototype has finally arrived!  Get it here.  This demo has more than just the battle system, also containing some of the other scripts for the project, so check those out if you are interested.

Download it and go into test battles using the default weapons to see my examples.  It's still a little messy in some areas, but that's okay, this is just proof of concept.  I think it's going to turn out really well :)

In terms of the targets, white means you didn't try, red means you tried and failed, green means you tried and succeeded, and cyan means you tried and got it perfectly.

RoseSkye

G_G

I'm getting a 404 not found.

AliveDrive

Ahaha! Badassery is you!

Winkio I am thoroughly impressed with this model.

I did not expect to have to hit twice for the dual swords :P Nice addition.

Ummm so this is basically awesome in my book.

Only suggestion:

How difficult would it be to reposition the hitbox in the center of the screen? I think that might be a more appropriate place for it but maybe I'm wrong.

Overall, love it. TABS = Totally Awesome Battle Sexy.
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

winkio

We can reposition it anywhere easily, I just stuck it there because that's where it fit.  I'm still trying to figure out a good place for the help window as well, since the current one is probably too small.  And trying to figure out how the top right window should look as well.

Also, no comments on the animated command window?

AliveDrive

My comment was about the command window. I think the animation was awesome and I was surprised by having to hit twice with dual swords. I also was saying that I think it might be easier to view from the center, but if not it's cool. I also called TABS sexy. I always love a good timed hit system.
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

winkio

So, I can move the timed hits to the center.  Any other suggestions, especially where to put the help window, and what sorts of graphics would look good?

WhiteRose

I really like it, winkio. Really, fantastic job. I can't wait to see it with the proper characters and graphics. I think the command window and HUD could be be a little more elaborate, but that's really more of a job for the graphics artists. I'll let you know if I come up with any more suggestions.

winkio

May 22, 2011, 05:43:46 pm #8 Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 01:31:05 pm by winkio
Okay, I'm going to actually make this play nice and look nice now.  Thanks for the one suggestion from AliveDrive.

EDIT: got the new layout done, it frees up a lot more space.  I'm going to add icons to the rolling command window, make the status window look nicer, and fix the bars so that they don't update instantly.

EDIT2: screenshot.  Shows my repositioning of some of the windows and my idea for the status window.
Spoiler: ShowHide

EDIT3: well, I just made some really cool bars, but they lag a good deal (20-30 fps) because RMXP has no power and can't handle redrawing them every frame.  The good news is that if I limit it to updating only when nothing else is happening (after the hit is complete but before the next turn), it lags much less.  Now to explain what they do.  You know the pokemon bars where the bar and numbers decrease at a constant rate once you get hit until they arrive at your new hp?  I made something similar, but for all stats, and integrated it with my physics so that it makes a nice smooth movement to the final hp/sp/mp.  Once I get the bars done, I just have to touch up the help window to make sure descriptions don't get cut off and then the battle system will be ready for the demo.

EDIT4: well I finally tried only updating the bars on their own, but it just takes too long and introduces a lot of extra waiting time for the player, making battles go slower.  I guess my only option is to optimize the bars to draw in parts

EDIT5: Well, I didn't really think it was possible, but I just optimized the HP bars and they update every frame with ZERO lag.  There is hope!

EDIT6: YUHS! Bars are complete, the status window updates every frame, I get 38-39 FPS (normal), everything is smooth.  Have to do the same setup on the enemy bars and fix the info window, then I shall post up the new version!

winkio

New release complete!  It has my windowskin, the early version of the titanium system, and most importantly, the awesome battle system. 
GET IT HERE

Screenshots: ShowHide

Also, my struggle with the bars and their lag produced the most efficient graphics code I've ever seen on any real time display, including the Blizz-ABS default HUD.  Basically I've pushed RMXP past its previous limits, so we can be sure that nobody has made an RMXP game capable of looking like ours.  I think that's pretty cool.

Also, ForeverZer0 gave me a sort of quick fix for CCTS, so now that works again and doesn't mess with battle testing.  I had to update my Physics script as well.

Well anyways, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

AliveDrive

I believe the link is down sir.

winkio

I guarantee you that it isn't.

AliveDrive

It seems like my internet was acting up earlier, it's working now.

IT LOOKS AMAZING!!!

:D

EDIT: I still suck at timed hits xD.

winkio

well finally someone commented :D

And yeah, I'm thinking that for the demo, the timed hits will be much easier with more time to do them and slower cursor movement.  I think for the full game, the stronger weapons and skills will have more precise timings, same with the bigger enemies.

I worked on a few more visual changes, but I'm waiting to put up a new version until I integrate the skills, magic, and titanium properly.

ForeverZer0

I forgot to comment here after our discussion in IRC. :P

They system is great. I suggest that anyone who hasn't tried it download the demo. Winkio put a lot of effort into the details to create a very nice, functional, and entertaining system.

Once again, winkio, awesome job.  ;)
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

AliveDrive

May 26, 2011, 01:06:44 am #15 Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 02:10:05 pm by AliveDrive
Yes once again awesome work.

I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner.

They've been keepin me busy, but don't fret.

EDIT: How should I go about merging this with the current maps? Is it important to preserve the structure of things, such as script order and spacing?

Spoofus

i know i am not involved with SoD(can't think of any i could contribute) but man this battle system reminds me alot of Lost Odyssey and the Shadow Heart games,and thats not a bad thing to me.

and i doubt that any other RMXP battle system like you said will even come close to this,possibly the best i have seen.(should see mine it's fairly simple and dull compared to this one)

still,just amazing work. you sir are a pro by far in my book.

My Blog site I am working on: http://spoofus.weebly.com/

winkio

ha, thanks Spoofus.  Even so, this is an unfinished version, and there is a lot more I hope to do sometime in the future :)

AliveDrive

What are some things you wanted to add? Is there any non scripting portion I could help with?

winkio

Some animations and effects at the beginning and end of battle, maybe a few more graphical things, and allowing more to be done with timed hits are the main things I want to add.  They all involve scripting though, and none are very large priorities at the moment.