Grassland Zone Mapping

Started by AliveDrive, March 24, 2011, 03:40:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

May 12, 2011, 01:14:10 pm #20 Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 01:38:57 pm by winkio
what about doing the corruption zone north of the grassland before the mountain zone?

I'm testing it out right now.

EDIT: The worldmap is bugged, but it's looking really good overall.

EDIT2: And the caves are really nice, although I'm a bit confused about what is happening with the Pitfalls and Silkberries.  And the fog seems a little too strong.

AliveDrive

Ok, I'm not saying no or anything, but I guess I prefer calmer zones. Like, I have this idea for a serene mountain top with maybe a ski lodge xD If someone else wants to do the CZ I'd be on board with that.

Also, I'd like to volunteer to do a beach. If we weren't going to do a beach, could we add a beach?

As for the corruption zone, I can produce a sample map of how I would do it.

The world map IS bugged xD and lacking any sort of...realism to establish it as a believable place.

The silkberries thing is just a concept. I wanted the caves to have a dangerousness to them, without implicitly having baddies around. That way, it feels different from a corruption zone. So I settled on having Pitfalls and Spikes, something naturally occurring in caves. The silkberries really don't make any sense do they? The plan was that the spikes hurt you if you don't have silkberries, lol I guess I was just trying to find a use for them other than for combining with fishing bait. Ideas?

I'll brighten the cave a bit.

Thanks for the feedback! Look for the changes in the next update.
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

winkio

Quote from: AliveDrive on May 12, 2011, 04:26:45 pm
Ok, I'm not saying no or anything, but I guess I prefer calmer zones. Like, I have this idea for a serene mountain top with maybe a ski lodge xD If someone else wants to do the CZ I'd be on board with that.

okay, just wondering.  Also, there's nothing wrong with saying no XD

The southern tip of the southern island is a beach/tropical rainforest zone, if that interests you.  We could also have a beach or oasis in the desert region.

And just to be clear, there ARE monsters in the non-corruption zones.  There just aren't as many as the corruption zones.  For example, in the outdoor maps you made, I could see 4-8 monsters per map, but since the maps are so large, it is relatively easy to avoid them.  The corruption zones will have slightly more, but it will be much harder to avoid them.

I do like the idea of the traps in the caves, and the grappling hook was interesting.  But you should make some clues as to where the traps are, so it's not so out of the blue.

AliveDrive

Haha xD Yes. The traps originally glowed white and moved, set on THROUGH but this was problematic, as they would go through walls. They look strange while sitting still just glowing. But I'll come up with something.

Like I said, not saying no just it wouldn't be my first choice.

It DOES interest me. But which things will we be needing done for the demo? Because I can work on those first. Got it, I'll add some monsters into the maps.

I was just showing off the grapple hook, I picture it being found deep in a dungeon and then needing it to solve the dungeon like in LoZ. Maybe it should be saved for the CZ?

This is the last time I'll be visiting the library today. I'll be on again tomorrow.
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

AliveDrive

I think I'll just post this here.

http://db.tt/dbZhMrZ

Be sure to check out the corruption zone. It's like the grassland but turned....corrupt. Yeah, so feedback appreciated on how to improve it.

Also, you can now combine honey again, but you'll have to be faster than the VERY aggressive ghosts to collect it.

I have plans to show picture the names of places, but I want them done in photoshop for transparency. Anyone up for the task?

That's all for now.

winkio

June 19, 2011, 06:37:51 pm #25 Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 06:52:06 pm by winkio
Yeah, I could do some names.  Do you just want plain text, or shadowed text, or something fancy?

EDIT: also, I was thinking the corruption zone would be like an overgrown tangled version of the normal grassland.  Perhaps using the same or slightly extended tileset, but with more clutter, perhaps some hue changes, and more jagged geometry.  I think it should look like the normal zone has been damaged by a cataclysmic event in the past (the war against the gods), and has been deserted by humans ever since.  They can even have some ruins of ancient temples or other buildings.  They shouldn't really seem 'darker' as much as they seem 'powerfully strange', like you know that there's a bunch of giant, deadly creatures in there waiting to eat you.

So, here's a list of concrete things I think corruption zone mapping could use:

• clutter/overgrowth

• jagged geometry

• narrow paths

• ruins

• strange things (hue changed plants, etc.)

Also, keep in mind we have a separate swamp/marsh zone, so we should save that tileset for that.

AliveDrive

I know what you mean, it does feel too much like a swamp. Maybe if the swamp water was black? That could be cool. Or dark blue.

As far as the names go I just want two for now for the corruption zone and the grassland zone.

I'd like sort of like an ornate text so that it matches your windowskin and in blue/gold. Shadows if they work well, if not then leave it be.

I want to make the name float slightly in the bottom left corner. Oh and this world map is not the official one, I'm just using it to test stuff.

winkio

AliveDrive