This is where I become useless

Started by G_G, April 08, 2011, 09:06:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

G_G

Alright. Due to lack of skills and willpower I'm pretty useless. I still don't understand hardly any C++.

So these new tasks are requiring to understand how April works. I've looked into the April code and its not making a whole lot of sense to me. As of now I don't think I'll be able to help out with the engine as much as I want to. Even with a simple task like implementing ruby functions for Viewport was difficult for me. There are so many things I don't understand about this and I feel bad enough for not finishing that small task. It may or may not seem like a big deal to you guys but I just don't know how much I can help with.

Nobody ever said this would be easy and I'm not expecting it to be. But jumping into the project like I did with the very little knowledge I know with C++ was a bad idea. My eyes were bigger then my stomach as they would say. Now I'm not quitting on you guys I'm still going to help with ARC, but I think its more going to be towards the editor. I'll help with the engine as much as possible but I can't guarantee anything. I just wanted to let you guys know this before I let you guys down anymore then I already have.

In the meantime while you guys are working your asses off on the engine, I'll probably be learning C++ more and I'll start learning python again. Anyways I'm sorry guys. :(

Blizzard

I am actually taking the tasks that require you to know how April works. xD

It would be actually a good idea if one or two of us would work more on the editor. You can then take on most of the editor and Ryex will help you out where you need it. Me, F0 and Ryex will continue working in C++.

IDK how much F0 will be able to help out with C++, though. F0?
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

it's true, the editor is just as important as the engine. I'm going to finish off the python tilemap remake today. contact me over msn If you want to know something you can do on it.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

ForeverZer0

I am slowly learning. I intend to do what I can, but it is a learn as I go process. I've been a little inactive with it for the past week or so, I've been trying to read some documentation and tutorials on C++. I know much more now than when I started, but I admit I am not picking up on it as fast as I have on other languages. I still intend to work with C++ on this project. I may not be as useful as you other two, but I won't learn without doing it, so I ask you all for a little patience and understanding.  :P

A lot of my inactivity has not been just this, but pure laziness. I am going to jump back into full-force tonight, and finish up my task hopefully. I do feel a little overwhelmed with some of the code sometimes, but I can usually figure it out after I methodically think it through, and VS helps with a lot by showing me errors.

Basically, I don't want to hold back the project, but I still want to work on the C++ code as much as possible. If you feel that I am unable, please feel free to assign me another task, I promise you won't be hurting any feelings. I am a very realistic person, and totally understand if you feel that it has to be that way.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Ryex

I'm impressed with my self. when we stared I had no reference's with C++ at all the closest I had come was C# in writing the RMX-OS GUI. but now I'm comfortable enough that I feel I could take on just about any task so long as I had documentation to refer to :P. April doesn't really have documentation yet so...

any way I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't worry, learn what you can as fast as you can and we'll wait for you. as Blizz has said, we're already going twice as fast as he expected.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

Three times as fast as I expected. xD

Yeah, take your time. Remember that you can always ask me. I am often online on MSN/ICQ/AIM/IRC/GTalk so you can always IM me and ask about stuff that you don't understand.
Of course with "take your time" I mean "take your time learning it", not "take your time and keep doing nothing". xD

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

Okay, I'm hoping to not become so useless now. I'm out of school, I'm going to be looking up C++ tutorials and figure this entire thing out and maybe help out on the engine before its finished. After that I'll be studying python and get the editor rolling with Ryex. Sorry for being a let down for most of this project but my lifes pretty cleared up and I should be fine. :)

Blizzard

I will probably finish the most of the remaining things about the engine. You should help Ryex with the editor. If the editor is really only 40% done, you should catch up. :P

ForeverZer0

I'm kinda GG with this. I get the basics. I can tell whats going on and understand it, but writing it is still confusing.
I'm kinda going from no knowledge to C++ to a rather complicated system.

I feel dumb.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

May 30, 2011, 05:34:23 pm #9 Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 05:38:11 pm by Blizzard
I understand you guys. This isn't just using C++. It's combining C++ with Ruby and on top of that using already existing subsystems. I am familiar with all of this already, but you guys are probably reading half Chinese there. #_#
I mean, stuff like this here:

#define RB_SELF2CPP(type, name) type* name; Data_Get_Struct(self, type, name);
#define RB_GENERATE_SETTER(type1, name1, type2, name2) \
RB_SELF2CPP(type1, name1); \
name1->rb_ ## name2 = value; \
if (!NIL_P(value)) \
{ \
RB_VAR2CPP(value, type2, name2); \
name1->name2 = name2; \
} \
else \
{ \
name1->name2 = NULL; \
}

This probably equals instant death to you. #_# I know it would have to me 2 years ago.

G_G

I understand some of that right there.

Ryex

actually that makes perfect sense to me...

its a macro that generates a setter method for a ruby attribute

Blizzard

OH YEAH?! >8U

Well, thanks for the compliment that I even write complicated code in a readable manner. <3

ForeverZer0

That's what I mean.
Understand what it does, like ryex, but if you told me to make my own, unless it was very similar to that one where I had a specific example to follow, I would be lost.