First Assignment, concept and design

Started by Ryex, April 08, 2011, 05:43:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

The point of this was to get all the students on the same page as to what we're going to make.

I'm going to make another rule. Everyone signed up must reply to an assignment at least once before we move on. simple to follow. I don't care if you have nothing to add. just respond so that I know you'r on the same page with us.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Dweller

Quote from: Ryex on April 10, 2011, 11:51:54 pm
Only three of the signed up students have posted. and there needs to be agreement between those signed up before we move on.

I like the idea of a skill growing system (you need to use a skill to level it up).
Dwellercoc
Spoiler: ShowHide

The Niche

Dweller's right and I agree with Nym and Grieversoft.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Jragyn

Alright then, so a skill leveling system via uses?

Are all skills capable of leveling up, though?
Or will there be exceptions?
ie: Using the skill "Exit/Escape" becomes more effective with use?
ie: Using the skill "Barrier" will always increase defense by what the state dictates?

Will all skills go up by a fixed amount? Or like... a percentage of base SP cost?

Hmm, details details :x
A bright light can either illuminate or blind, but how will you know which until you open your eyes?

PhoenixFire

@Ryex - I sent you a pm about this, for consideration. If it's a good idea, I think it would be the most beneficial, not only to the students, but to the community as a whole, allowing everyone to access it once completed?

In regards to the immediate portion, I would have to agree with the above system. Increases with uses, and I vote that ALL skills should be done in that way. It makes it seem a little more believable. In "real life", you don't gain the same amount of knowledge every time you repeat something... In fact, sometimes you don't learn quiet as much as the last time you did something... So I guess that introduces another option: The possibility that your increase is random?
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

GrieverSoft

Here's what I propose:

*System is configureable; the user can determine what skills lead to what and how many 'uses' are required
*You can make it to where you either learn a new skill that replaces the old, or another skill that compliments the old
(For example, you can make a "Cross Cut" skill that when used enough, can be replaced with a "Cross Cut+" skill automatically, or make a "Fire" skill that when used enough, allows you to learn a "Mass Fire" to go along with it)
*A script call that allows adding or subtracting the number of uses for any skill for any actor

Possible additions:
*Display the number of uses needed toward the next learned skill in the description
I like pie.  The pie is also evil.

Jragyn

Quote from: GrieverSoft on April 11, 2011, 02:23:01 pm
Here's what I propose:

*System is configureable; the user can determine what skills lead to what and how many 'uses' are required
*You can make it to where you either learn a new skill that replaces the old, or another skill that compliments the old
(For example, you can make a "Cross Cut" skill that when used enough, can be replaced with a "Cross Cut+" skill automatically, or make a "Fire" skill that when used enough, allows you to learn a "Mass Fire" to go along with it)
*A script call that allows adding or subtracting the number of uses for any skill for any actor

Possible additions:
*Display the number of uses needed toward the next learned skill in the description

I like, and agree. Perhaps as an addition (or core feature based on above) some skills require reaching a "usage #/Mastery" of multiple other skills? ie: Explode = Fire used 100 && Ice used 100 times.
A bright light can either illuminate or blind, but how will you know which until you open your eyes?

Nakuto Inaru

I'm kinda new to all this stuff, and I just signed up, but I would love to learn this stuff. I was thinking of stuff that I could contribute, but GreiverSoft's idea is completely amazing. I have no disagreements so let's get this show on the road!

Lanzer

it should be a skill upgrading via skill replacing,
and for the sp cost of skill , i think that it must a fixed % of base sp (+ or - INT or another stat to make it power dependant)
also if it will be automatic skill upgrade the thing changes a bit

Lanzer

Quote from: GrieverSoft on April 11, 2011, 02:23:01 pm
Here's what I propose:

Possible additions:

when i read this i think "why should skills have only a branch of upgrade?"
then what i propose is to make skills follow optional branchs like (more powerfull same skill , mass version of skill, changing form physical to magical and viceversa and maybe a support variance) but once one is choosen it cant be changed only upgraded more and more (need a NPC for this)

nathmatt

pls don't double post edit ur post instead  :rulez:
Join Dead Frontier
Sorry, I will no longer be scripting for RMXP. I may or may not give support for my scripts. I don't have the will to script in RGSS anymore.
My script

Ryex

ah, this is what I was looking for. keep it up guys.

in summery so far,

it seems that every one is agreeing to base the upgrade on the number of uses the skill has.

possible upgrades are:
replacing the skill upgrade it's powers with a modifier of some sort be it a % of the current or some other calculation.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

cyclope

I think the system should work this way:
- You earn xp for a skill, or a type of skill whene you use them, and level the skill individualy depending on the xp it has.
- I think it should gradualy loose xp if you dont use the skill for a long time
- It would be nice if we used tokens to lvl up skills, but I am not sure if it is simple for us to do it. If not I think that whene you lvl up, all parameters of the skills, including sp, should increas by some persent.
Things I Hate

1. People who point at their wrist asking for the time... I know where my watch is pal, where the hell is yours? Do I point at my crotch when I ask where the toilet is?

2. People who are willing to get off their a** to search the entire room for the TV remote because they refuse to walk to the TV and change the channel manually.

3. When people say "Oh you just want to have your cake and eat it too". Damn Right! What good is cake if you can't eat it?

4. When people say "it's always the last place you look". Of course it is. Why the hell would you keep looking after you've found it? Do people do this? Who and where are they?

5. When people say while watching a film, "did ya see that?" No Loser, I paid $12 to come to the cinema and stare at the damn floor!

6. People who ask "Can I ask you a question?"... Didn't give me a choice there, did ya sunshine?

GrieverSoft

April 13, 2011, 03:06:50 am #33 Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 03:14:30 am by GrieverSoft
Create a script that changes the stats of a skill?  Sounds extremely complicated for us n00bs.  It would be more "non-scripter" friendly to just be able to determine what skills are linked (I mean, what skills are replaced by others with enough uses) and then go in and create many copies of that skill, changing their power, accuracy, adding effects by onesies and twosies.  Make a bunch of Cross Slash copies, and make each more powerful than the last, or have higher versions add extra states, or add elemental bonuses, or whatever.  Then, link them in the script configuration.  I'm sure it would be an easier script to make and use.  It's simple, and very flexible.

As for the whole "branching" thing, how the frak would that work out?  

Edit:  BTY, Cyclope, that 'experience atrophy' idea is utterly brilliant. 

Jragyn

The only way I could "comfortably" fathom branching, would be to have some skills require more than 1 skill to gain experience in, and if it gains more in one way it will branch one way, and if it gains more in another, then it will branch another way.
ie:
Learn 'Explode' if Fire_xp > 100 && Ice_xp > 50
Learn 'Tornado' if Fire_xp > 50 && Ice_xp > 100

If you used the replacement idea, where skills prior are forgotten, it gives the effect of branches. If you use the idea where skills stay, then it just becomes another way to learn a variety of skills based on how the user plays.

On the other hand... how would you create "experience atrophy"? How would you gauge "Unused for a long time"? by battle count without use or something?

GrieverSoft

I dunno...a configurable timer?  I'm also suggesting that one can configure whether the advanced skills in a line replace the previous one, or compliment it.

The Niche

I'd say battle count without use. The only real alternative would be turn count, which do you guys think works better?
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

cyclope

I think we should use battle count, but if we can we should allow the user to decide if he wants to use a timer, battle count, turn count, or dont loose any experience
Things I Hate

1. People who point at their wrist asking for the time... I know where my watch is pal, where the hell is yours? Do I point at my crotch when I ask where the toilet is?

2. People who are willing to get off their a** to search the entire room for the TV remote because they refuse to walk to the TV and change the channel manually.

3. When people say "Oh you just want to have your cake and eat it too". Damn Right! What good is cake if you can't eat it?

4. When people say "it's always the last place you look". Of course it is. Why the hell would you keep looking after you've found it? Do people do this? Who and where are they?

5. When people say while watching a film, "did ya see that?" No Loser, I paid $12 to come to the cinema and stare at the damn floor!

6. People who ask "Can I ask you a question?"... Didn't give me a choice there, did ya sunshine?

Ryex

remember, sooner you agree on the system, sooner I can get on with teaching you scripting, this may not seem like your learning anything now but you will soon.

The Niche

List as it stands:

• Experience atrophy, timed by a configurable method (Battle count, turn count, timer, off)

• Upgraded skills replace predecessors and are actual database skills

I vote for jragyn's idea about branching, that upgrades have multiple skill requirements.