Setting up your environment to Work on the editor

Started by Ryex, April 08, 2011, 07:02:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

Well I think it's time to update this. I'm upgrading to python 2.7 I really can't figure out why I was using 2.6 to begin with probably some library I'm not using anymore besides I keep finding features that were added in 2.7 that I want to use but can't.

Windows

first off install Python 2.7.2
http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7.2/

then install wxpython 2.8.12.1 for python 2.7
http://www.wxpython.org/download.php#stable

then install PIL (Python Imaging Library) 1.1.7 for python 2.7
http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/#pil117

next install Pyglet 1.1.4  
http://www.pyglet.org/download.html

then numpy for python 2.7
http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.6.1/numpy-1.6.1-win32-superpack-python2.7.exe/download

and last install Rabbyt for python 2.7 I had to build this myself as the site only has it up to 2.6
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20709011/ARC/Rabbyt/Rabbyt-0.8.3.win32-py2.7.exe

I use Visual Studio with Python Tools http://pytools.codeplex.com/

alternatively you can use Eclipse and Pydev

Linux

#install python_setuptools
sudo apt-get install python_setuptools

#install pip (python package manager, not truly necessary but helpful)
sudo easy_install pip

#get python header files if we dont have them
sudo apt-get install python-dev

#install build_essential (gcc and the like)
sudo apt-get install build_essential

#install numpy
sudo pip install numpy

#install wxpython
sudo apt-get install python-wxgtk2.8

#install pyglet download source (pip tries to get the docs if you just give it the name, weird)
sudo pip install http://pyglet.googlecode.com/files/pyglet-1.1.4.zip

#install pyrex (c-extention compiler used by rabbyt)
sudo pip install pyrex

#install cython (c-extention compiler, the successor to pyrex and uses by us for building the binary verison or ARCed)
sudo pip install cython

# install OpenGL Headers
sudo apt-get install mesa-common-dev
sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dev
sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesa-dev

#install rabbyt
sudo pip install rabbyt

#install pillow
sudo pip install pillow

Mac OS X

10.7 Lion and up

#install xcode
#install xcode command line tools

#install homebrew
ruby <(curl -fsSkL raw.github.com/mxcl/homebrew/go)
#add line ot .bash_profile
export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH
#run brew doctor to make sure it's all working
brew doctor

#install python
brew install python --framework --universal
#add line to .bash_profie
export PATH=/usr/local/share/python:$PATH
# update the python install
cd /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions
sudo rm Current
ln -s /usr/local/Cellar/python/2.7.3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current

#install wxpython
#install 2.9.x from dmg download
#add line to .bash_profile
export PYTHONPATH="/usr/local/lib/wxPython/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-2.9.1-osx_cocoa:/usr/local/lib/wxPython/lib/python2.7/site-packages:$PYTHONPATH"

#add system links
cd /usr/local/lib/python2.7
ln -s ../wxPython/lib/python2.7/wxhack.pth .
ln -s ../wxPython/lib/python2.7/wxhack.py .

#install numpy
sudo pip install numpy

#install pyglet download source (pip tries to get the docs if you just give it the name, weird)
sudo pip install http://pyglet.googlecode.com/files/pyglet-1.1.4.zip

#install pyrex (c-extention compiler used by rabbyt)
sudo pip install pyrex

#install cython (c-extention compiler, the successor to pyrex and uses by us for building the binary verison or ARCed)
sudo pip install cython

#install rabbyt
sudo pip install rabbyt
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

ForeverZer0

I already have Python 2.8 installed. I know that you are sticking with an older, more mature version of it, but it won't be an issue just to stick with it for now will it? It will be highly unlikely that something won't work in this version that didn't in 2.2.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Ryex

there is not python 2.8  only 2.7
and there are things that work in 2.7 that don't in 2.6
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

ForeverZer0

Sorry, your right, I just checked my version of wxPython. I have 2.7 though.
I understand that things from new versions won't work in older versions in some cases, but not vice-versa for the most part (there may be an occasion). Most of these are rarely used, and it won't be difficult to code in a "2.2 compatible way".
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Ryex

the main reason is that some of the libraries only work with version 2.6

nathmatt

yea i noticed that i have been meaning to uninstall 2.7 and install 2.6
Join Dead Frontier
Sorry, I will no longer be scripting for RMXP. I may or may not give support for my scripts. I don't have the will to script in RGSS anymore.
My script

ForeverZer0

Just noticed that when I tried to install PIL.
Switching to 2.2.6...

;)

Ryex

nathmatt

Join Dead Frontier
Sorry, I will no longer be scripting for RMXP. I may or may not give support for my scripts. I don't have the will to script in RGSS anymore.
My script

Ryex

well you'll notice the link lead to 2.6.6. :P sorry about that edited first post you need 2.6.6

Blizzard

I'm having troubles installing PIL. It keeps telling me that Python 2.6 is not installed and could not be found in the registry.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

April 09, 2011, 04:08:30 am #11 Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 04:11:17 am by Ryex
there is a link somewhere on the PIL page about registering python... here it is
http://effbot.org/zone/python-register.htm
but I never had problems like that. in fact the link to fix that problem is only there for versions older than 1.1.7

Blizzard

It's possible that this happened because I installed the 64 bit version of Python. I'm about to try again with the 32 bit version.

EDIT: Yup. That was it.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ForeverZer0

April 09, 2011, 01:37:49 pm #13 Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 03:29:54 pm by ForeverZer0
I had the same problem. I hadn't installed the 32 bit version yet, but I assumed that was likely the problem

EDIT:
Got everything, but if I attempt to debug, it tells me I am missing "numpy".

Ryex

oops this true, numpy is a very important library

numpy for python 2.6 http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.5.1/ the file is named "numpy-1.5.1-win32-superpack-python2.6.exe"

ForeverZer0

G_G

So 32-bit install will work fine on 64-bit systems?

ForeverZer0

Yes. I used the 64 bit version first, which is preferable, but some of the libraries don't work with it. They are stored differently in the registry or something.

Ryex

specifically wxpython dosn't work with 64 bit python. at least on mac

Ryex