Setting up your environment to Work on the editor

Started by Ryex, April 08, 2011, 07:02:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ForeverZer0

Thank you!

I was wanting to use ordered dictionaries just yesterday, and saw they weren't implemented until 2.7. It really wasn't worth creating my own, but now I won't have to :)
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Ryex

November 04, 2011, 12:17:50 am #41 Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:19:07 am by Ryex
the sire for Rabbyt only has the  installers for python up to 2.6 I built it myself http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20709011/ARC/Rabbyt/Rabbyt-0.8.3.win32-py2.7.exe tell me if it doesn't work

I've tested everything we have so far and it works in 2.7 so were good to go.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

ForeverZer0

Actually, I am having numerous problems with this. Pyglet wouldn't install, to 2.7, but I managed that by installing it from source. I set the project to use 2.7, and also VS's settings to use 2.7, and I have some strange bugs. First and foremost, the app won't start.  No how, no way, and with no error. I run it, the console pops up for a second, then it exits. It doesn't matter if I put a 'print "hello"" at the top of __main__, it doesn't display, and nothing happens. I CAN get a single file that is just a panel with snippet at the end to add it to a frame and run a simple app, but ONLY if I right-click and choose "Start without Debugging". If I choose to debug, I get the same problem. I can't even set it as the startup file and press F5.

Now, I didn't uninstall 2.6 beforehand, so that may be an issue. I already edited the environment variables to 2.7, and if I simply type "python" into cmd.exe, it starts up 2.7, so that isn't the issue, although I yet checked PYTHONPATH. I may just uninstall both 2.6 and 2.7, then reinstall only 2.7, and all the packages again.

That's gonna be for tomorrow, though, I'm tired and going to bed. :P
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Ryex

ya I had to install pyglet form source too.. hmm well I HAVE made some changes to the source so i'll commit them and we'll see what happens.

some errors that python tools caches are harmless and are actually part of the normal start up of the libraries.

I didn't uninstall 2.6 before hand either but my stuff worked with no problems, did you set 2.7 as the new default interpreter in python tools?
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

ForeverZer0

ForeverZer0

Alright, I don't know WTF is going on with this. I did the following:

• Uninstalled all Python 2.6 and Python 2.7 added modules

• Uninstalled Python 2.6 and Python 2.7

• Uninstalled PyTools

• Scoured my registry for everything related to Python and deleted it

• Removed the Python environment variable in the PATH

• Reinstalled PyTools

• Reinstalled Python 2.7.2 (x86)(I have x64, but it has to be x86 for the libraries we use)

• Reinstalled all the packages, using the "win32 for 2.7.2" variant of each

• In VS, made sure that all settings were correct for the Python Tools section

• I made sure that all the settings in the project file properties were set correctly

• I tried to run, and the problem has not changed

• Removed all my search paths in VS, then reset them

Other possible factors, though I doubt they are of any relevance:

• I used the x86 Unicode version wxPython for 2.7.2

• I chose to compile the source files and tools of wxPython at the end of the installation

• I installed PyGame for 2.7.2 after it wasn't working, and it still failed

Here is something strange that I imagine has something to with it, though I am unsure how to really fix it. When I choose "Python 2.7 Interactive" from VS's tools menu:

Python interactive window.  Type $help for a list of commands.
Failed to launch REPL process
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\Python Tools for Visual Studio\1.1\visualstudio_py_repl.py", line 1050, in <module>
    _run_repl()
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\Python Tools for Visual Studio\1.1\visualstudio_py_repl.py", line 1036, in _run_repl
    BACKEND.connect(int(options.port))
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\Python Tools for Visual Studio\1.1\visualstudio_py_repl.py", line 474, in connect
    ReplBackend.connect(self, port)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\Python Tools for Visual Studio\1.1\visualstudio_py_repl.py", line 101, in connect
    self.conn.connect(('127.0.0.1', port))
  File "C:\Python27\lib\socket.py", line 224, in meth
    return getattr(self._sock,name)(*args)
socket.error: [Errno 10013] An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions
>>>

Ryex

we don't need pygame anymore. but this is really weird. my setup works fine... one thing to note I installed python well before I installed pytools

ForeverZer0

I figured it out... although I'm not sure why it should keep the application from opening. I noticed in the trace that it was having a socket error. I'm using NOD32 firewall, set to interactive mode, meaning every time something tries to connect, it shows me a dialog where I can create a rule to permanently allow/block, temporarily allow/block, or once only allow/block.  It wasn't popping up, so I restarted my PC, tries again, and it showed the dialog so I could create a rule. Since that, everything seems to work good.

ForeverZer0

Updated the topic, namely the addition of Scipy, and the demise of matplotlib. I discovered wx has native support for graph drawing, that although is not as feature rich as matplotlib, is simpler to use and more than enough for our needs.

Ryex

updated 1st post with info for setting up on Lynix

Ryex

and now we have set up for OS X 10.7 and up.

my god I hate Mac for making this so dam complicated seriously I HAVE OT FREAKING REBUILD PYTHON AND THEN LINK IT IT! oh and because of that the python paths aren't standard so I have to link Wxpython back to the new python to get THAT to work

oh, and in case you didn't know pythonw is a completely different animal on OSX, because Mac is stupid and normal python can create windows apps because it isn't a framework that had to make a framework shim that starts up a python process inside it. what does that mean? I have to set up the paths correctly just so this special shim can find the python standard library.

seriously, why does it seem like while OS X is extremely nice and friendly to the average user if you want to ANYTHING complicated it makes your life hell?
did you know that if you internet connection breaks in the middle of the appstore downloading something it cant just pause the download? that it will instead have 1 hash check fail and scrap everything? do you have any idea how difficult this makes downloading 3 GB files like Xcode?

Oh, and I ended up having to compile GCC 4.2 to build python with which in retrospect I didn't even need to because apple only recently fixed their shit but still, HOURS of my life wasted on this bull.

Blizzard

Welcome to Mac development. Apple hopes that you had a nice cactus stuck up your ass on your way here.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

Turns out I forgot to list somethings for Linux

namely ensuring you have python headers and opengl headers

and I ended up having to use pyglet 1.2alpha1 for Mac 10.7 as well Mac 10.7 only supports 64 bit and pyglet 1.1.4 has som major issues with 64bit that were solved in 1.2
Mac's version of PIL also has some weird ishues with PIL because of PIL's dual usage of

import Image

and

from PIL import Image

being the same module but Mac python can't tell for some reason and loads the binnary twice. if both commands are used in two different places you end up with a hash collision error that crashes python outright so I had to go into Pyglet and get rind of the try statement that uses import Image in an attempt to be backwards compatible.
I suppose I could also just use Pillow instead of PIL (it's a actively maintained drop in replacement for PIL as PIl was last updated in 2009) as it only supports the from PIL import Image format and the dual import would of been avoided.