[Finished] [RGSS] Translate/Scale/Rotate Testing

Started by Blizzard, April 20, 2011, 04:37:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

April 20, 2011, 04:37:34 pm Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 03:25:50 am by Blizzard
Translate/Scale/Rotate Testing

Description

Due to the fact that translation, scaling and rotation operations are not commutative, it's possible to get different results when changing their order. All of these 3 have been implemented in the Sprite class so far which will serve as a test case.

Use different combinations of x/y coordinates (x, y), offsets (ox, oy), scales (zoom_x, zoom_y) and different rotations (angle). Check out if the results in RMXP match with ARC's display. If they differ, change the Sprite::draw method. There are three blocks of code that might require you to change their order.

Spoiler: ShowHide
        if (this->x != 0 || this->y != 0)
       {
           april::rendersys->translate((float)this->x, (float)this->y);
       }
       if (this->zoomX != 1.0f || this->zoomY != 1.0f)
       {
           april::rendersys->scale(this->zoomX, this->zoomY, 1.0f);
       }
       if (this->angle != 0.0f)
       {
           april::rendersys->rotate(this->angle);
       }

The second part of the task includes checks if the ox and oy for Plane work the same in ARC when using scales as they work in RMXP.

Priority

High.

Prerequisites

None

Assigned

ForeverZer0

Everything else

This is a simple task, it just needs some time. I am sure that I have implemented it properly, but testing to make sure would be a good idea.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ForeverZer0

Just started looking for a task to start and noticed my name on it already. Didn't see it the first time I read it. Oops.
Will start now.  :P
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ForeverZer0

Finished. (finally, I know...)

Did a lot of testing, in the end I only had to swap two methods, but found that it is always the same as RMXP.
Plane works like a charm already, and there were no changes made.

One thing to note though, since ARC has a higher frame rate, scrolling Planes can appear to move fast (depending on what you want), even when it is only one pixel per update. Just a thought to maybe have an easy way to use an "every 3rd update" or whatever type way for users to slow it down if needed.

Damn them clouds look smooth floating across the screen, though!
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

Plane still doesn't cut off stuff, that's the only thing that still needs to be fixed.

Don't worry about update speed, we will fix these things in the end.

ForeverZer0

What do you mean by "cut off stuff"?

I didn't see any problems with it, at least visually.

Blizzard

If you have a viewport of 32x32, then everything will be rendered only within that 32x32 box. Everything outside of that box is not visible. Remember my Blizz-ABS Minimap? It is actually a big bitmap one a sprite within a viewport. That's why it is so nicely cut off. I don't have that functionality ready in our Viewport yet. I've tried using a render-to-texture procedure, but it doesn't seem to be working so I'll have to think of something else. ._.

Ryex

rendering to a texture is the only way I can think to do it. the only other way I could think of would be to somehow clip the render able object at render time so that it's source rect or whatever matched that of the viewport
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

And I think that can be done if I can't get render-to-texture working.