Editor Icons Request Thread

Started by Ryex, May 03, 2011, 03:44:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

May 03, 2011, 03:44:40 am Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:42:26 pm by Ryex
The editor will, like most programs, have toolbar buttons. But we have no icons to place on them!

I'de also like to replace the icons we have now as they don't really look that good or fit their purpose too well

This thread will keep a running list of the icons that are needed and which ones we have

all icons should be 16*16 and should be in a png or gif format to support transparency. I'd like it if all submitted icons could be in a consistent style that would look equally good on OSX, Windows and Linux. the first submitted icon is open to the artist but after that a consistent or visually style to the first submitted icon would be much preferred.

EDIT: Now that we have accepted Icons all other Icons should be in a consistent style

Icons

Main Tool Bar

• New Project Icon Have Credit: ShadowPierce
  • Open Project Icon Have Credit: ShadowPierce
  • Save Project Icon Have Credit: ShadowPierce
  • Undo Icon Have Credit: ShadowPierce
  • Redo Icon Have Credit: ShadowPierce
  • Cut Icon Have Credit: ShadowPierce
  • Copy Icon Have Credit: ShadowPierce
  • Paste Icon Have Credit: ShadowPierce

Map Editor Toolbar

• Event Mode Icon Have Credit: ShadowPierce
    (an icon to act as a button to toggle the event layer in the map editor, the other layers are selected form a drop down list this is to better support the eventual 9 map layers, it wouldn't make sense to have 10 layer buttons would it?)
  • Dim Layers Icon Have Credit: legacyblade
    (previously an option in the menu bar now a toggle button so that the option can be toggled for every map open)

Database Toolbar
the "database" icon in RMXP is being expanded to have each of it's tabs opened as a new panel with it's own button

• Actors Icon Have Credit: ShadowPierce
  • Classes Icon Have Credit: ShadowPierce
  • Skills Icon Have Credit: ShadowPierce
  • Items Icon Have Credit: ShadowPierce
  • Weapons Icon Have Credit: ShadowPierce
  • Armors Icon Have Credit: ShadowPierce
  • Enemies Icon Have Credit: ShadowPierce
  • Troops Icon Have Credit: ShadowPierce
  • States Icon Have Credit: ShadowPierce
  • Animations Icon Have Credit: ShadowPierce
  • Tilesets Icon Have Credit: ShadowPierce
  • Common Events Icon Have Credit: ShadowPierce
  • System Icon Have Credit: ShadowPierce
  • Scripts Icon Have Credit: MikePjr

Map Tree

• Project head icon (in rmxp it is the folder at the top of the map tree) Have Credit: MikePjr
  • Map Icon (in rmxp it looks like a page with it's corner folded) Have Credit: MikePjr

Contributors:

• ShadowPierce 23 icons
  • legacyblade 2 icons
  • MikePjr 3 icons

Thank you for your contributions!
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

mroedesigns

June 17, 2011, 12:07:16 am #1 Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 01:56:27 am by mroedesigns
I can take care of some of these for you if you'd like. I'll make a few different stlyes so you can pick.

Let me know what you think!

--Removed by Author--

Ryex

well I know that I really don't like the new open and save ones sorry. I like your concept for the event and dim layers icons though. however the style really doesn't work, they look like they were designed for a 16 bit game not a modern computer program, I can understand why you picked that style but personally I hate it.

I hope that doesn't sound incredible picky...

and you don't need to make toggled versions
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

mroedesigns

It's all good, no worries :] I don't have photoshop on my new laptop yet so I did those in mspaint. I see where you're coming from. If I can get photoshop installed again I'll rework these.

PhoenixFire

I'll definitely take a look into getting some icons done up :uhm: That's one of the few things I can do very well with image manipulation  :P
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Taiine

Why not use FamFam's icon set?
http://www.famfamfam.com/
These icons are free to use for anything pretty much.

Spaceman McConaughey

Quote from: Taiine on July 15, 2011, 10:57:40 pm

I think they want something original, though I could be wrong. :P

Ryex

Quote from: Tuggernuts on July 15, 2011, 11:38:17 pm
Quote from: Taiine on July 15, 2011, 10:57:40 pm

I think they want something original, though I could be wrong. :P

hit it on the nose

InfinateX

I'll try a few of them! What style should they be in? 3D, 2D, vibrant, dull, etc.? I'm busy with a dragon sprite that's probably gonna take me all week but I can do this still... I just don't really have time to thik about it :/
I made a signature!

Ryex

Use any style you want really as I said in the first post the first artist gets to set the style, my one stipulation is that they look modern. while a 16 bit game theme might be cool to some it just wouldn't go over well.

MikePjr

I would offer my artistic skills, but yeah they would end up looking like something midevil.. i like the midevil look, scrolls, pens chests... would all be cool.. shame we can't have an option to actually customise images used for the editor.. would be awesome.. maybe have lil like.. graphics packs for the editor.. just my two cents.

Ryex

what you described would be fine. what I meant by modern was not like 16 bit NES style. as long as they look smooth and properly shaded the first artist to submit a good icon gets to set the style.

MikePjr

August 14, 2011, 07:33:32 pm #12 Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 06:56:33 pm by MikePjr
Quote from: Ryex on August 14, 2011, 06:51:38 pm
what you described would be fine. what I meant by modern was not like 16 bit NES style. as long as they look smooth and properly shaded the first artist to submit a good icon gets to set the style.

The NES was 8 bit >_<
And cool.. i would love to make something that fits with a ... fantasy like look.

-EDIT-
I was going to make some, but it's too much stress, i would hate anything i make to be rejected.. i just kinda decided not to mess with it.. so please no one wait on me if anyone is.

ShadowPierce

September 21, 2011, 04:44:33 pm #13 Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 03:52:17 am by ShadowPierce
->I was getting bored at ripping sprites, so I decided to give this a shot... I know it's in dire need of shading, but I'd like some opinions about the concept...  :^_^':

Spoiler: ShowHide
Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
3DS Friend Code: ShowHide
1161-0627-9890

Ryex

if you going to link an image form your drop box you have to make it public.

ShadowPierce

->Sorry, just made an account yesterday and that was my first upload... :P I have no idea how to make a folder public, so I just replaced it with a photobucket pic... :3

Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
1161-0627-9890

Ryex

Frankly, I LOVE it! they have a certain "vector drawing" feel to them and I just works well for an RPG editor. if you feel you need to work on the shading a bit more feel free to do so. but as far as I'm concerned the style for the icons has been set!

just so you know for them to be usable they will need to be split apart into 16x16 images not linked together.

as for the concept

the first one is a New project icon yes? it looks good but I think the green + needs to be a bit bigger and in the foreground (it kinda looks like it is behind the scroll)

the second one is an open project icon? This one is a bit harder to understand, the arrow is pointing into the scroll so it's meaning is a bit unclear. if your opening a project your bringing the information "out" of the file not putting it "in" as the arrow indicates

and the third one I like, Save yes? it gives the impression of writing information down to be saved. no conceptual problems there.

ShadowPierce

->Thanks, these are my first attempts at icon design & it's nice to have some good feed back... :haha: I don't really know much about spriting & palettes so if there are more skilled spriters there *cough* Dweller *cough*, I'll leave it to them... >:3 But if I get bored again, I'll try to improve it...  :D

1161-0627-9890

Dweller

Quote from: ShadowPierce on September 22, 2011, 04:23:10 am
->Thanks, these are my first attempts at icon design & it's nice to have some good feed back... :haha: I don't really know much about spriting & palettes so if there are more skilled spriters there *cough* Dweller *cough*, I'll leave it to them... >:3 But if I get bored again, I'll try to improve it...  :D

Nice work, I like the style too, but I really hate to work with 16x16 (or 24x24 like rpg maker icons) canvas.
Dwellercoc

Ryex

getting things to look right when you only have 576 pixels to work with (in 24x24, or 256 pixels in 16x16) is a real challenge. I've only made one Icon, it a door icon that can be found in the download for my menu system.