Compression

Started by ForeverZer0, May 06, 2011, 12:41:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ForeverZer0

I had some thoughts on including a compression library in ARC.  RMXP's compression isn't very good as you know, basically the same as ZIP format. I think that people could benefit using a better one that is built in, such as 7-zip or something, which is free, though I haven't checked their license in detail concerning making profit on a program that uses it.

Thoughts?
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

I'd rather stay with zip. Every PC has zip while not every has 7zip installed.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

plus the 7z format is slow in extracting
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

MetalRenard

Wait a mo, you plan on making money from this?

Agckuu Coceg

Quote from: MetalRenard on May 06, 2011, 09:17:35 am
Wait a mo, you plan on making money from this?

Ehem, why not.
I'm not retarded, but I'm busy. Sorry for patience.

Blizzard

Rather than explaining it again, it's best if you read the suggestions thread. I explained it there a few times.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ForeverZer0

I was referring to embedding the library, it doesn't have to be 7zip, that is just an example. People don't have to have 7zip installed if the library is included. I mainly meant for created archived projects for distribution the file size would be smaller. Its not really needed, the person distributing the game can very easily handle this themselves, I guess. Just and idea I was throwing out there.  :P
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Zeriab

You should also note that the DEFLATE compression appears more worthless than it is because RMXP encrypts before it compresses  :facepalm:

PhoenixFire

Quote from: Zeriab on May 07, 2011, 02:57:54 am
You should also note that the DEFLATE compression appears more worthless than it is because RMXP encrypts before it compresses  :facepalm:

-Agrees wholeheartedly-
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Blizzard

I'd like to avoid as many dependencies as possible and an embedded 7zip would be another one. Each time we add an external library, we have to bother with the licenses and credits for that.
Another thing is that we don't really need much of a compression. ZIP is all we really need. It's basically so we have at least something. Nobody prevents users from "compiling" their projects without compression and then use WinRAR or 7zip to compress it themselves to suit their needs.
I'm not even sure 7zip is all that free. >.<