Author Topic: What is ARC?  (Read 13974 times)

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • LV: 642
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
    • You're already on it. (-_-')
Re: What is ARC?
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 05:04:02 AM »
I think the problem is definitely Windows 7 related (maybe even Vista as well), because the same games run normally under Windows XP.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze      King of Booze: Never Ever      Pet Bots
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android      Pet Bots for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS      Pet Bots for iOS
Drinking Game on Steam

Quote from: winkio
I do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney Stinson
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Offline ForeverZer0

• CP's Pedophile
  • Global Moderator
  • Guardian of Chaos
  • LV: 294
  • Remember you are unique, just like everyone else.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 05:20:40 AM »
I wonder if its a glitch from running in compatibility mode for XP. It actually might be worth checking into and making a bug report to Microsoft about. Who knows, it may even be fixed in some future update, though I wouldn't hold my breath...
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Offline MikePjr

• Awakened Visionist
  • LV: 2
  • Pixel artist extrodinare, and gifted story teller.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 05:43:51 AM »
It's nothing like you think Forever, i just wanna see more having to do with the actual editor, i hate to get excited then end up with something i get aggravated with.

For instance.. there is this one program that was made and i tried using, it had all kinds of promises, but it ended up being an over-bloated piece of software that was annoying as hell to use, cause it was TOO different from the simplicity of anything made by EB

It was called Stencyl, and in the end it ended up being annoying to use, not very simple to understand and get into, and to top if all off, the blasted thing used flash *shivers*.

When ever a group gets together to make something like this, and it's not being made by an actual company, i end up with software i wanna scream at and stay away from... then again.. IGM ended up sucking and it was made by EB.

I hate to try and jump into this maker and then go "wait.. where the hell is this?, why can't i that?"
I have not seen anything having to do with the interface...

Some times, people who're only good with programing, get to doing something like this, and end up making something that only ends up being useful to programers, and the rest of us who are not as technical end up sitting and scratching there heads.

Another thing i wanna say is about scripting, you should leave scripting wide open so that people with the know how can expand on what can be done with this software, that way if someone is not happy with the limited formats, they can find away around it, specially if they're doing stuff that's not commercial, or it won't be commercial.

I'm worried that scripting will be limited somehow, even though i'm not a scripter, but i do worry scripting will be locked in, in a way that prevents people from coming up with cool things that ARC might not be capable of on it's own.

I hope people really can still come up with cool things through scripts and DLL use that ARC can't do on it's own.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 05:46:31 AM by MikePjr »

Offline ForeverZer0

• CP's Pedophile
  • Global Moderator
  • Guardian of Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 07:11:31 AM »
I understand your apprehension, but I am confident that you will be pleased with the result. Thus far, I believe we have achieved a great deal of success in the area of drastically increasing the capabilities for those who are very technical, while at the same time, I would even say IMPROVED, the learning curve and ease of use of RMXP.  That recipe has been are primary goal from the start: to create an easy to use program, much like RMXP, but also allow it to have the power and capabilities for those who want to take it to new levels.

As for your worry about scripts, because we have Ruby 1.9.2 embedded, it actually has far more capabilities than RMXP does with its Ruby 1.8.1.  There will actually be cases where you would have needed an external DLL for RMXP, but you won't need it for ARC, for the simple fact that it is running a newer, and full version of Ruby (RMXP's version is trimmed down). Because the underlying engine is totally different, it is likely that many existing DLL's made for RMXP will not work with ARC, but that is not to say they can't be made.

I really just don't want you to be disappointed and form opinions based on what Stencyl, or any other program, turned out to be. I'm not asking that you commit mind, body, and soul and scream that "ARC is going to be the best thing ever", but just maintain an open mind, and give it a fair assessment based what IT is, not what OTHERS have turned out to be. Hopefully in the very near future we will have enough of the editor merged together to show you a good example.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Offline Blizzard

• This sexy
  • Administrator
  • has over 9000 posts
  • LV: 642
  • Magic midgets.
    • View Profile
    • You're already on it. (-_-')
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2011, 10:47:29 AM »
You have to be aware of one thing. We didn't sit down and say "let's make everything from scratch", we sit down and said "let's take what RMXP did well, improve what it messed up and add some additional stuff". If you take a look at the suggestion topic, there have been many ideas that have been turned down, because they were not good. They were either of a too technical nature and hard to understand, features that are too complex to make a simple interface in the editor, features that are basically pointless to implement or features that shouldn't be part of the editor but a script of some sort.

Actually I think that most DLLs should work with ARC and this DLL for SPC scripts might just work, too. I was just concerned, because a secondary audio system is being used for the playback (or is it?).
I don't think you actually understood me right there what I said. I said that you won't be able to simply get a script for a format reader and then just pass on the audio stream to our underlying audio system. This is something that might be difficult to implement. ARC will still support external DLLs just as RMXP did. As I said, I was just concerned about the fact that the DLL uses a secondary way to play audio and I'm not sure how it will work out. There's basically a 90% chance that it will work without problems.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze      King of Booze: Never Ever      Pet Bots
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android      Pet Bots for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS      Pet Bots for iOS
Drinking Game on Steam

Quote from: winkio
I do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney Stinson
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Offline G_G

• Green Gmod Game_Guy AKA G4 AKA hyper-G AKA G-force
  • Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
  • LV: 407
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 02:21:31 PM »
@MikePJR: Wanna know why Stencyl is an overbloated, complicated piece of crap? Its because of the fact that their ultimate goal wasn't an RPG Maker. Ir may have been that at one time but its now aimed to make any kind of game. Its just as complicated as Game Maker. If you plan on using an editor thats made for any genre, of course its going to be complicated. ARC is specifically for, but not limited to, RPGs. So the interface of course is going to be all RPG related and much simpler to use. Also, the editor will allow plugins. So if you do feel limited by the interface in any way, you'll be able to compensate for it with a simple python plugin by adding new event commands, maybe even new tabs to the editor. I have no idea how it will work or what the limits will be when it comes to creating plugins.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 05:28:19 PM by game_guy »

Offline Ryex

• Arctic Bird of Programming
  • Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
  • LV: 197
  • Wants to write a compiler for fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 07:15:26 PM »
I have no idea how it will work or what the limits will be when it comes to creating plugins.
I do,
long story short, there will be no limits
as for how it will work, well it alrady works in the sense that the entire editor is built as a set of plugins, but the first release won't support plugins or more accurately there won't be an API to support plugins. but theoretically speaking, if someone managed to get a hold of our source code and understand how it worked, them could make one.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.

DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.
(click to show/hide)

Offline MikePjr

• Awakened Visionist
  • LV: 2
  • Pixel artist extrodinare, and gifted story teller.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 07:36:50 PM »
@MikePJR: Wanna know why Stencyl is an overbloated, complicated piece of crap? Its because of the fact that their ultimate goal wasn't an RPG Maker. Ir may have been that at one time but its now aimed to make any kind of game. Its just as complicated as Game Maker. If you plan on using an editor thats made for any genre, of course its going to be complicated. ARC is specifically for, but not limited to, RPGs. So the interface of course is going to be all RPG related and much simpler to use. Also, the editor will allow plugins. So if you do feel limited by the interface in any way, you'll be able to compensate for it with a simple python plugin by adding new event commands, maybe even new tabs to the editor. I have no idea how it will work or what the limits will be when it comes to creating plugins.
I don't think i ever called stencyl "crap".
My problem with stencyl is it became something trying too hard to be for EVERYTHING, to the point that i sit there with it going "umm.. how do i just make a good platformer with cool bells and whistles? i can't code" and then you have the fact that i think they either went with like, flash or java or something, all i know is i start using stencyl and maybe it's the layout or something, but i end up at a loss.

Just kinda worried ARC will try too hard, and end up being useless, like IGM *shivers* IGM became a piece of junk.

As for the audio script i'm using, i think it uses some DLL files and then some how plays them through wav during game play, but otherwise they are small files... so i do think it's some kinda conversion process that happens a lil more on the fly, it's still wav when played, but the files are not wav.

Don't get me wrong, i'm still looking forward to anything it gets right, i noticed with RMXP it takes more work doing simple things that were easy to do with events in RM2K3, like having a wait happen while some pictures move, without making the player be forced to go along with the wait.
The other day i was setting up some pictures for the name of a town to come up and do this... like.. effect where it fades in one way and fades out another way, and i have to add a wait, but the wait effects the player to, and i only wanted the wait to effect the picture, another small simple thing where EB cocked it up, and it was so easy to do with RM2K3.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 07:43:08 PM by MikePjr »

Offline Calintz

• Guardian of Chaos
  • LV: 108
  • A Pixel's Worst Nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 11:00:11 AM »
i'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Offline GAX

• The guy who should be working on Chaotic Fury
  • Astral Trancist
  • LV: 25
  • <null>
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 04:58:59 AM »
(Im)patiently waiting to see this pull through.

(click to show/hide)

sekiraze

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2014, 07:26:20 AM »
"ARC is being built from the ground up in C++, with Ruby 1.9.2 embedded, which is about 30 times faster than the Ruby 1.8.1 RMXP uses.  What does this mean for you?"

can we port it to console?

Offline Ryex

• Arctic Bird of Programming
  • Global Moderator
  • Chaos Ultimate
  • LV: 197
  • Wants to write a compiler for fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2014, 10:29:35 AM »
that entirely depends on the console in question and whether or not you know someone with the expertise to port all the libaries. as is we are only going to support Windows, Mac, and Linux. Possibly android and IOS as time permits

I also feel the need to point out that we are actually using Ruby 2 now instead of 1.9.3, I also feel the need to correct my 2 year old self and say that the 30x speed up in ruby 2 is only in one or 2 specific uses cases the real average speed up is closer to 4x
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 10:31:33 AM by Ryex »
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.

DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.
(click to show/hide)

sekiraze

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2014, 07:06:06 PM »
so XNA Framework 4.0 will most likely not be supported? or any ports to it? Since it is based on C# when I'm not mistaken :O

Offline ForeverZer0

• CP's Pedophile
  • Global Moderator
  • Guardian of Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2014, 07:56:02 PM »
ARC is not written in a .NET language, so XNA doesn't really apply or even make sense with it.