Third Lesson, Know the System You're Working With

Started by Ryex, May 24, 2011, 07:41:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

Third Lesson, Know the System You're Working With

Because we are building our system to tie into existing scripts we need to know how the existing scripts work.

This next task is designed to familiarize you with how the RTP scripts work.

Make a diagram of the control flow of the RTP scripts. Show how everything is connected together with arrows. This is not to be as detailed as the last task it is just a general control flow. I'll give you a diagram of the main loop and how it connects the two of the scenes to get you started but it is up to you to fill in the rest.

This is a large and complex task, you'll have to read the RTP scripts and understand what they are doing. Right now your just trying to get the object modal and the control structure striate. Do don't bother with what individual methods and lines do. If you need help with what a particular block of code does feel free to post or PM me. Again, don't sweat the details, just get the general design of how the RTP scripts flow into your diagram

Use this diagram to start the process. If you feel it needs to be remade feel free to do so..

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

cyclope

:twitch: So we have to read ALL the default scripts and figure out what each word means? If so sounds like a long task but ill get to it...
Things I Hate

1. People who point at their wrist asking for the time... I know where my watch is pal, where the hell is yours? Do I point at my crotch when I ask where the toilet is?

2. People who are willing to get off their a** to search the entire room for the TV remote because they refuse to walk to the TV and change the channel manually.

3. When people say "Oh you just want to have your cake and eat it too". Damn Right! What good is cake if you can't eat it?

4. When people say "it's always the last place you look". Of course it is. Why the hell would you keep looking after you've found it? Do people do this? Who and where are they?

5. When people say while watching a film, "did ya see that?" No Loser, I paid $12 to come to the cinema and stare at the damn floor!

6. People who ask "Can I ask you a question?"... Didn't give me a choice there, did ya sunshine?

G_G

No, he's saying look at all the default scripts that are involved.

Ryex

actually I am telling you to to look at the entire RTP of scripts :\

don't look at each and every word. look at methods and classes and find their general purpose and how they are inter connected. yes it will take a while but you need to have an idea of how the RGSS scripts work.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

G_G

Oops my bad :x. Misread the original post completely.

Blizzard

Nobody expects you to learn all the default scripts and what they do exactly. You are just supposed to go through them as you will recognize some patterns and that will help you later on.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

cyclope

I read all the RTP scripts, but do I really need to do the diagram?
Things I Hate

1. People who point at their wrist asking for the time... I know where my watch is pal, where the hell is yours? Do I point at my crotch when I ask where the toilet is?

2. People who are willing to get off their a** to search the entire room for the TV remote because they refuse to walk to the TV and change the channel manually.

3. When people say "Oh you just want to have your cake and eat it too". Damn Right! What good is cake if you can't eat it?

4. When people say "it's always the last place you look". Of course it is. Why the hell would you keep looking after you've found it? Do people do this? Who and where are they?

5. When people say while watching a film, "did ya see that?" No Loser, I paid $12 to come to the cinema and stare at the damn floor!

6. People who ask "Can I ask you a question?"... Didn't give me a choice there, did ya sunshine?

Ryex

ok how about you just give a description of what each RTP script handles. i'll accept that instead.

Jragyn

Game_Temp = all the various non-saved variables used all throughout the rest of the scripts.
Game_System = Holds many methods involving Audio, though holds variables that ARE saved throughout other scripts.
Game_Switches = Manages...switches. (max is 5000 apparently?)
Game_Variables = Manages...variables. (max is also 5000, by default.)
Game_Selfswitches = Manages the selfswitches with boolean logic. (uses hash instead of array like above)
Game_Screen = handles all the shaking and weather and flashing on the screen.
Game_Picture = takes care of all the displaying/moving/rotating/etc of pictures being displayed on the Game_Screen.
Game_Battler1/2/3 = Handles seemingly everything involved in converting a Game_Actor/Game_Enemy into a battle-able character; ie: defines methods of stats, gives battle formulas, explains states and their effects, skills/items and their usability...its huge and full of stuff useful to making sure a battle works properly.

To be continued tomorrow when I have access again to interwebs.
A bright light can either illuminate or blind, but how will you know which until you open your eyes?