Cybele Development Thread

Started by G_G, June 13, 2011, 04:53:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

G_G

June 13, 2011, 04:53:01 am Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 04:30:06 am by game_guy
Cybele Dev Thread

Info

I have two reasons for making this thread, well actually three. First, to tell everyone Cybele is back in development. Second, people can keep up with the development with it until release. Third, to get feedback from you guys. What did you hate, like, want in the old Cybele? You can request new features, you know, just feedback in general. I've already got several ideas for Cybele. I'm going to create both a Windows executable and a web version. Windows will be first. One more thing, I want this program to be flawless when released. There will be private betas so I can achieve this. While in beta state, this will leave the program possibly unstable, the database basically opened, and all resources will be temporary, which hopefully you can see why it'll be private.

Keep track of more updates and stuff at Cybele's twitters. CybeleDatabase

Improvements

These are the planned improvements from the older version.
  • Better updating system. The version will no longer be stored in a text file. That was silly of me. Instead it will be stored in the program itself. Updates will not be forced upon you, they will always be optional. However, you may be missing out on some minor fixes and new features. In some cases, updates will be forced. If there is need for fixing a major bug, I'm going to implement a new feature that will lock down the program until the update is released. This will prevent from people exploiting the bug. When locked down, the program will show a message and shut down.

• Better design. It will have a custom UI thats similar to Office 2007.

• Engine and Resource handling. This is probably the part I'm really going to put extra work into. Before, the only supported engines were RMXP & RMVX. On top of that, not all resources were implemented for both engines. (I think the only missing resource were audio ones) Due to how I'm going to redo this engine, I'll easily be able to add new engines and resource types without hassle. And when adding new resources, you won't be limited to just one file. You'll be able to add up to 5-10 files. This was requested by legacyblade and the option is there in case you have sets of characters or you need to add the autotiles with your tileset. NO MORE DATABASE RESETS! There have been numerous times where the database was reset and all resources will be lost. I'll be keeping several backups of the database to prevent this from happening again.

Features

• Synced with twitter. When new members sign up or resources get uploaded, a tweet gets sent to Cybele's twitter.

Screenshots

Some awesome shiny screenshots of the new version.
Layout
Spoiler: ShowHide

Database (Showing passwords get encrypted)

Community Feedback

All ideas and feedback from you guys will be here.

While the improvements list is short, it will expand as I start gathering and organizing my ideas onto paper.

Blizzard

June 13, 2011, 06:24:11 am #1 Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 12:45:28 pm by game_guy
What about ARC? ._.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

June 13, 2011, 09:59:33 am #2 Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 12:45:35 pm by game_guy
I'm going to do ARC after this. I haven't been in a mood to do any work period. Something small like this which will take me a week or two will hopefully get me in the mood. I swear on my oath and the little bit of trust you may still have with me that after this I'll start doing some work for ARC whether I'm in the mood or not. I did promise to remake this awhile ago and it was such a great resource for people.

WhiteRose

June 13, 2011, 11:08:00 am #3 Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 12:45:21 pm by game_guy

Developmen.

Blizzard

June 13, 2011, 11:15:14 am #4 Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:01:36 pm by game_guy
Gotta love my wife. <3
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Aqua

June 13, 2011, 11:29:29 am #5 Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:01:44 pm by game_guy
Glad to see Cybele coming back :)

G_G

Here's a small preview of the layout. What I have done is user registration and login. And yes Aqua the passwords get encrypted. :3

Layout

Database

WhiteRose

It's looking really neat so far, G_G.

Also, you ruined my joke.

G_G

Synced program with twitter. New users and resources get tweeted. :3

CybeleDatabase

Ryex

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Aqua

Maybe instead of a Tweet every time someone signs up or uploads a resource, have it Tweet like... 2 hour updates?

Otherwise it'd be spammed when people are on an uploading frenzy <:

G_G

Quote from: Aqua on June 13, 2011, 09:36:18 pm
Maybe instead of a Tweet every time someone signs up or uploads a resource, have it Tweet like... 2 hour updates?

Otherwise it'd be spammed when people are on an uploading frenzy <:

That'd actually involve setting up a server on my computer that communicates with the database. Which wouldn't be bad I guess. Cybele itself is the one who sends the messages through twitter, if I were to program the 2 hour check into Cybele, there would have to be people running it for at least 2 hours for a tweet to get out. So to successfully do this I would need to create a separate application that ran 24/7 on my computer.

And twitter getting spammed is nothing. :3 Twitter can handle quite a bit of info at one time.

I also wanna throw out a request for anyone who wants to. Cybele needs a new logo. I will be grateful if anyone would like to pick up this task. I really don't have a planned theme towards the logo, I just need something flashy.

As for development updates, program keeps track of all IP's that enter. Moderators will be able to view the IP's and toggle bans and stuff. If an IP is banned, it can still freely browse resources. It just cannot sign up or register, therefor cannot upload resources. In the old Cybele, you were able to just upload resources without an account. I'm changing that. But it literally takes 5-10 seconds to register. Now before I continue on any more functionality, I'm gonna go finish the full layout. My plans for viewing resources is going to be much nicer. The empty area you saw in the preview layout will contain a tab control. There will always be at least one tab open, and thats the welcome page. From there you'll be able to choose the engine you wanna browse for. That will open up in a new tab. Then any resource you go to view, it will also open up in a tab. Less windows, easier navigation. This will be a lot nicer than before. :)

Ryex

know what would be really cool? if when ARC is ready for it a plugin was made to interface Cybele with the editor. but that is just a wish in the well. :P I'm just sad that your leaving ARC to me F0 and Blizz. your a talented programmer.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

G_G

I'm not leaving. D: This project is getting me back into the mood of programming. After this I'm gonna do work for ARC.

Quote from: game_guy on June 13, 2011, 09:59:33 am
I'm going to do ARC after this. I haven't been in a mood to do any work period. Something small like this which will take me a week or two will hopefully get me in the mood. I swear on my oath and the little bit of trust you may still have with me that after this I'll start doing some work for ARC whether I'm in the mood or not. I did promise to remake this awhile ago and it was such a great resource for people.

G_G

June 15, 2011, 09:06:18 pm #14 Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 09:08:33 pm by game_guy
Hey guys, small update. Got banning basically done. Cybele checks your IP and your account. Simple process. But what I'm most excited about is the new navigation. Heres what it looks like after logging in and clicking "My Resources". Notice the X on the tab. <3

Then I started working on the resource display. When a resource is opened it'll open a brand new tab, display all the pictures that were uploaded for it. What it does is display each image in a 64x64 square. Then you can click on it to view the image.

The way I'm setting this up, at first, was difficult. When opening a resource or opening up an upload form, all the controls get generated at the opening of the tab. Its coming along great though. :D

legacyblade

Wow! This looks amazing and shiney! Keep up the good work G_G, I'll be happy to see Cybele back and kicking!

G_G

Gots a shiny new screenshot. This is the final  design for resource viewing. I still have to do the one for script viewing. I'm debating whether or not to bring back resource packs or not. Anyways notice a couple of things. If you're viewing a resource you uploaded, you can edit things right there and just save the settings. The other thing to notice is the link under Uploaded By. You can click that and view some of the user's stuff. Like all of the other resources they uploaded. If you are viewing a resource you didn't upload, the only difference is you won't see the Save Info button at the bottom and you can't type in the text boxes.

legacyblade

Shiney!!! I'm really looking forward to using this! Keep up the good work G_G

PhoenixFire

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

ForeverZer0

Oooooooo. Sexy.

I really need to use that Ribbons library you turned me onto a while back....
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.