Asking for a ban

Started by Blizzard, June 19, 2011, 11:52:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

Due to recent events winkio and me have decided that if somebody is intentionally seeking a ban, depending on the severity of violation of the rules, the ban will be one month or more. Permanent bans are not excluded in this case. I don't understand why getting banned is supposed to be fun. If you don't want to visit the forum, don't do it. If you can't help yourself, send the staff a PM and ask for a ban. We'll help you stay away if you feel that it is somehow being bad for you whatever your circumstances are. But if you want to have some fun, start flaming somebody just to get banned and thinking that it was totally worth it, think again. This time you are risking bans of one month and more. Keep in mind that the longest definite ban so far was 2 months. Every other kind of ban that was handed out was permanent.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

If you politely ask for a ban without breaking any rules, flaming, or trolling, it can be of any length greater than or equal to 24 hours.

Vell

I remember doing this frequently back in the day.

EDIT: For clarification, leaving for a period / asking to be banned / rescinding my mod position to take a break for various reasons.

PhoenixFire

So, to copy Blizzards intro...

"Due to recent events" I am writing this topic. I am not an admin, nor am I even a Mod. I used to be an Admin on a site before it's server crashed, but meh... getting off topic. So, point of this post, is to avoid flame wars.

If you start getting caught up in a thread that's "going south" really quick, I would suggest any, and all, of these tips:

1. Just because you didn't start it, doesn't mean you have to finish it!! Don't continue to insult or flame someone, just because they're doing it to you. It doesn't prove anything to anyone. Constructive criticism is one thing, even "borderline" comments may be acceptable, depending on their content, but outright insults and flaming is never productive.

"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it"

2. If you must say something, say it in a way that won't sound derogatory, insulting, oppressive, etc. You should be able to figure out a way to nicely tell someone they are wrong, or, point out they were rude, ungrateful, etc. in an acceptable tone (I know tone is hard to convey via text and message boards, but try).

3. If all else fails, DO NOT respond to put your two cents in. Just simply contact an Admin, Staff, etc. and get it resolved that way..  (They're allowed to flame without getting punished as much  :naughty:  ) If you have tried reasoning, kindness, and all that stuff, simply walk away and tell a staff member they need to banhammer resolve something.

I'm sure there's more to add to this post, but, it's a start. I'll edit as necessary.
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Blizzard

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

PhoenixFire

Ah, fair enough. I thought it might warrant a new stickied topic, just so it can be seen as it's own, rather than a topic reply, but you are the great master, so I shan't question your intentions  :yesmaster:
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Blizzard

I just want to add that mods are treated stricter than normal members if they break the rules. If in the most recent event the other members have not been mods, they would have gotten a 24 hour ban at worst. Since they were mods, I made it 3 days.

Subsonic_Noise

Twb6543

June 20, 2011, 03:00:56 pm #8 Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 03:05:34 am by Twb6543
If you put a million monkeys at a million keyboards, one of them will eventually write a Java program.
The rest of them will write Perl programs.

The Niche

Dammit but that topic was fucking hilarious.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Subsonic_Noise

Meh. I did better trolling back in my time, without being banned.

Blizzard

You can leave the link.

@Sub: Trolling != Flaming

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Blizzard on June 20, 2011, 05:16:57 pm
You can leave the link.

@Sub: Trolling != Flaming

I also did better flaming without being banned. Back in my days. Everything was better back then.

Blizzard

June 20, 2011, 05:25:26 pm #13 Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:26:27 pm by Blizzard
That's because you used to not do that stuff so you had some extra credit. Same with Tuggernuts. It took a while until he got banned for the first time. It was the same with RoseSkye. After the first time, it's easier to get banned, because the staff looks at it like "oh, he's acting up again, let's ban him till he cools off".

If you started a flame war right now, don't be so sure you would get away with just a warning or even only a short ban for that matter. After all, since the April 1st incident, you are on probation.

Aqua

I split the topic here because it went to mod talk... lol

Vell

Aye, apologies about the derailing.

winkio

Sorry, but I'd just like to say something about being banned.  It's not a good thing.  It makes you miss out on interactions with this community.  It makes this community miss out on interactions with you.  A lot of times, you have a choice between being banned, or taking a hit for the good of the community.  You can make the choice to put the community first, and your own behavior second, and not get banned.

Vell

Oh, I avoid being banned unintentionally... sometiems, though, my mood is too consistently vile or turbulent to be able to be a productive member of the board - and in some cases, it goes to the point where I can't help but be a negative force. So, if I can't keep myself away, I'll request a ban - those are the only circumstances. When otherwise, I'd get myself banned anyway, I'll step back and take a momentary break to come back in grace, rather than shame.

Blizzard

Being banned is like being grounded. You don't like being grounded, do you? >8U

The Niche

Being banned is like being grounded. The only people who talk to you are your stalkers.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!