Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Troubleshooting / Help / Re: On Animations and Game Detection
« Last post by ClaudeHuggins on Today at 03:20:23 AM »
Hi!

Whoops, forgot to mention. Yes, it's XP. :P

This helps a lot!! I had a feeling file IO would be involved with the third question.

Thanks so much!!!
Troubleshooting / Help / Re: On Animations and Game Detection
« Last post by lilbrudder917 on Today at 12:57:16 AM »
Hi! First off, welcome to the forum  :)

Since you don't mention what RPG Maker version you're using, I'll assume it's RMXP (mainly because that's the only one I'm familiar with and can answer). RMXP doesn't natively support gifs for animation, but there are scripts available for that (link is in Spanish and I haven't used it personally). For animated monster sprites, I was able to find this, though I haven't used it myself to know how it works.

For the third question, you can make use of the Application Data folder to create a global directory for your game, regardless of where the player keeps it.
Something along the lines of:
Code: [Select]
path = ENV['APPDATA']+'/Your Game/'
if !File.directory?(path)
 Dir.mkdir(path)
 File.open(path+"demo.dat", "w") {|f| f.write("1") }
end
in the demo, and then in the final game checking to see if that file exists. You can take it a step further by storing the save file there, and then loading it into "demo variables" in the final game to see what the player has done in the demo.

In the final game, you could have something like
  read_demo_save_data(ENV['APPDATA']+'/Your Game/demo.dat')
  def read_demo_save_data(file)
    # Read character data for drawing save file
    characters = Marshal.load(file)
    # Read each type of game object
    $demo_system        = Marshal.load(file)
    $demo_switches      = Marshal.load(file)
    $demo_variables     = Marshal.load(file)
    $demo_self_switches = Marshal.load(file)
    $demo_screen        = Marshal.load(file)
    $demo_actors        = Marshal.load(file)
    $demo_party         = Marshal.load(file)
    $demo_troop         = Marshal.load(file)
    $demo_map           = Marshal.load(file)
    $demo_player        = Marshal.load(file)
  end
and see if the player has finished the demo (say, represented by switch 55) with $demo_switches[55]. Let me know if this isn't super clear, I'll try to clarify or make a demo for you.
Troubleshooting / Help / On Animations and Game Detection
« Last post by ClaudeHuggins on Today at 12:32:29 AM »
Hello!
I'm only just in recent months getting into the scripting aspect of RPG maker after a few years of studying coding. Also, the first game I've made with a version newer than 2k3.

I have a few questions, more specifically, things I would like to know how to do.

• My current system uses standard pictures to show character portraits during dialogue scenes (like in a visual novel), and I would like to make them animated (preferably with transparency). A more general form of this question would be, I would like to place an animation on the screen the way I might place a picture.
  • I would also enjoy animated monster sprites in battles.
  • I plan on releasing a demo before the game. Is it possible, despite sandbox limitations, for the full game to detect if the player has played the demo or done X in the demo?

I hope these aren't TOO simple to justify asking. Thanks in advance!
Projects / Games / Re: Elf's Dairy (Completed)
« Last post by Starmage on February 25, 2018, 06:52:32 PM »
Hi guys!! I've updated the game to do some improvements to the mappings and some error fixes! ^__^

Version 1.5 download:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/e2sg96m2x9y74oh/Elf%27s%20Diary%201.5.exe

Changes

- Maps from interiors to exteriors have been updated and improved.

- Lighting strength on the town has been reduced, while Ayala forest's lighting has been removed completely.

- New title screen

- There will no longer be states such as Paralyze and Sleep on the game, this is to remove game errors that were specifically connected to these states. (Script issues)

- A few dialogues have been rewritten.

Special thanks to everyone who has helped me with their feedback on my mapping as well as some useful tips and advice. You all know who you are. ^_^
Projects / Games / Re: (XP) BlueSkies 2 - Complete!
« Last post by Starmage on February 25, 2018, 03:50:46 PM »
UPDATE! Version 2.5 of full version is now up. :)

This update is simply a bug fix for some of the bugs found by the awesome players. ^__^ Don't worry though, you may still use an old save for this version. ;)

Full Game of BlueSkies 2 version 2.5:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/dkaw24gd16xf3w9/BlueSkies_2_COMPLETE_V2.5.rar

Bug fixes

- Krizza will no longer appear untimely at Utania village whenever you start roaming freely in the game. (The Krizza missing bug is also fixed already.)

- The game-breaking bug at Gemeid *spoilers* attacked state has been removed.

Special thanks to KyleLascar for specifically finding these glitches.

Enjoy everyone! ^_^
Script Requests / Re: $game_player.through = true isnt working.
« Last post by RoseSkye on February 24, 2018, 07:46:36 AM »
This is twice you've saved me, KK20... also, I've learned something new.
« Last post by KK20 on February 24, 2018, 05:17:55 AM »
@Blizz: That only applies to script calls where you are assigning a variable to false

The real problem at hand here is that Game_Character's through attribute is only set as a reader.
attr_reader   :through"Reader" meaning you can only "read" what the value is; you cannot change, or "write", it outside of the class.

If you change that to
attr_accessor   :throughI think you'll be fine. An "accessor" allows you to read and write the attribute.
« Last post by RoseSkye on February 24, 2018, 12:12:50 AM »
It isn't working.

« Last post by Blizzard on February 23, 2018, 11:30:55 PM »
It's a bug in RMXP's default scripts. Here's a fix: http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,938.0.html
Script Requests / $game_player.through = true isnt working.
« Last post by RoseSkye on February 23, 2018, 11:03:06 PM »
I'd like to make it so I can call another event's/ player passable with  any event's move route. The Game_Character section itself says it's $game_player.through = true, but it isn't. Can someone help out?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10