[XP] Advance Wars Engine

Started by KK20, November 20, 2012, 08:51:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

KK20

Oh haha forgot to change the number.

In the "Script Import&Export", change the IMPORT_EXPORT_MODE to either 0 or 3.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Tyadran

Quote from: KK20 on July 17, 2015, 07:05:37 pm
Oh haha forgot to change the number.

In the "Script Import&Export", change the IMPORT_EXPORT_MODE to either 0 or 3.

Okay, well, like when I tried that before, I get 'The specified procedure could not be found.'. I figured maybe I had goofed up and needed to change something else too...but I would have no idea what.

I then continue to get the 'specified procedure' error, even when I change the number back to 1.  :huh:

KK20

Open up the Game.ini file and look for the Library. It will say RGSS10_E.dll, where the underscore is some kind of number. For my version of RMXP, it's a 4. For you, it might be a 2. Anyways, whatever it is, look for the RGSS104E.dll file and rename it to what the Library is set to.

Other Projects

Tyadran

Ah, I seem to have solved the issue. The RGSS104E.dll in the Advance Wars Edit folder doesn't seem to work, but copying the one from v0.1b (which is a larger file?) allows it to launch properly. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, and maybe check that out so no one else has the same issue?
Thanks!

~Tya

KK20

That's weird. The v0.1b folder has RGSS104E and RGSS104E_301, the former being RGSS 3.0.0.1 (exact same one in the Edit folder) and the latter being RGSS 3.0.1.1. I wonder why your computer refuses to use the older version.

"But why use the older version when you can use the newer one? Shouldn't it be better?"

RGSS3 does NOT support game resolutions larger than 640x480, so someone hacked a 3.0.0.1 DLL file to allow this. This is packaged with the RMXP Ace project. I decided to just stick with it in case anyone wanted to modify the script to allow larger resolutions. If you don't want to go larger than 640x480, the 3.0.1.1 is fine (I think).

Other Projects

Tyadran

Alright, well, I'll be sure to let you know if I have any issues with it from this point on. I already have some questions about some CO capabilities and things, but I'll save them until I've spent some more time actually toying around in the engine and seeing what I can manage.

~Tya

Gears

I could show you my former build introducing new CO's but i'm not sure how up to date it is.

Tyadran

Quote from: Gears on July 19, 2015, 03:23:38 pm
I could show you my former build introducing new CO's but i'm not sure how up to date it is.

Well, right now I'm just building on v0.1b for the time being, since it's a little more solid at the moment and I can't get the music to play on the new one. I'm definitely interested to see anything you have to show, though.

~Tya

KK20

All music on the Edit has been set to 0. You can find it in MODULE Config at the very bottom where I put a
volume = 0
Just remove that line and music will be back.

I've been busy with other projects (like ARC) that I haven't worked on it for a while. The last thing I was working on was starting the online multiplayer. Finding any bugs with the Edit build would be appreciated as well. :)

Also should note that v0.1b isn't the same as the download link on the first post, in case that wasn't clearly obvious.

Other Projects

Tyadran

I'm using v0.1b from the github link.

Maybe I'll switch over to the Edit version then so I can bug test while I work. A couple of questions:
- Has the issue with the game crashing when a unit runs out of fuel been fixed?
- Should there be any issues simply copying units/damage chart from v0.1b to Edit? I've added a few units already, and it'll be much more convenient to just make a handful of changes to the current version of them.

I have a few overall feature questions that I'm just curious if they were planned to be implemented eventually:
- Battle scenes and power activation scenes?
- Tag COs? I'm sure some people didn't like it, but I thought they were awesome. ^.^
- Any kind of alternate palette option for COs (user-implemented, of course)? Not a big deal, the people I play with are just fans of some extra customization.
I think I had a few more, but they've slipped my mind for the time being.

Also, is it possible to give primary and secondary weapons different ranges? I haven't seen anything that calls out to me how to do it, and I'm not sure how effectively it would actually function.

Thanks for any answers!

~Tya

KK20

- The bug with crashing units should be fixed in the Edit. I remember working on that specifically.
- You should be able to copy over Units and the damage chart without trouble.

- Battle scenes reminiscent of the games is actually quite difficult to do while still keeping it easy to customize for users. Not to mention that I'm not exactly a person who does graphics and that's a LOT of animations I have to extract as well as create for the custom units. I could maybe make a template where all units use the same graphic and just leave it up to the user to make the animations themselves. Power scenes is planned, but I'm still questioning how I should do it.
- Tag COs were not originally planned. If I ever am satisfied with the official release, I'd consider adding it.
- Again, not a graphics person so that's up to the user to provide those. I can make the scenes to allow choosing a different palette or costume.

Since the games haven't done different ranges for different weapons, it's not something I really wanted to do. While I think I have written the code to make this easily possible with a few edits, I'm not sure I want to put it in the official release.

Other Projects

Tyadran

Alright, completely understandable. Tag COs and separate ranges aren't a necessity, just some things I personally would use (don't know if anyone else would). I'll just have to rework some of the units I was designing.

I would be perfectly fine with the battle scenes and alternate palettes/costumes being a template only. I'd be perfectly happy to supply whatever graphics I'd need to put into those if the code was there to work them properly. All I even had in mind for the alternate palettes/costumes was probably an additional two buttons on the CO select screen that would scroll through, for example, CO_Andy_1, CO_Andy_2, etc. if those files existed. I like the current build and it's by far the best Wars engine to use with RM, I'm just someone who likes a lot of features, so don't mind me.  :^_^':

Thanks for the responses, though!

~Tya

KK20

Quote from: Tyadran on July 19, 2015, 04:04:21 pm
I like the current build and it's by far the best Wars engine to use with RM

Wait...there's more? :huh:

Other Projects

Tyadran

Quote from: KK20 on July 19, 2015, 04:13:11 pm
Quote from: Tyadran on July 19, 2015, 04:04:21 pm
I like the current build and it's by far the best Wars engine to use with RM

Wait...there's more? :huh:

Well, GTBS could be argued as functional. I've used it before, but it functions far better for Fire Emblem or Shining Force than Wars, even after wrangling it a lot. The Ace version does have nice battle scenes though.

Gears

Is 4 players still a possibility in the long run?

KK20

More than possible. I just haven't really gotten to it since it's a pretty easy thing to do.

Other Projects

syldocaine

OMG this is existing for so long already and I've never seen it.
Shame on me..

I love the advance wars games, put more than 1000 hours into them and still playing them time by time.
I think I have something to do now..

KK20

lol serious shame. It's in my signature for crying out loud.

Other Projects

syldocaine

That's the fact which confuses me so hard.

You helped me alot with scripting issues and I've never realised that signature...

But it's never too late :D

Gears

I managed to fiddle some more during my downtime. Anybody got some interesting CO ideas?