Override of no weapon=no damage?

Started by Pokol DaErran, September 01, 2008, 09:37:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pokol DaErran

Normally, you can't do damage without a weapon, right?
Well, I fixed my character's weapon so they can never have a weapon (by accident) and they started doing damage w/out weapons!
Could there be some trick that I forgot, or have I disovered a way to do damage without weapons/special scripts?
"...Sometimes, the impossible can become possible- if you're awesome!"
--Bolt

Ryex

Quote from: Pokol DaErran on September 01, 2008, 09:37:41 pm
Normally, you can't do damage without a weapon, right?

I don't believe that this is true...
but who knows...
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Aqua

Um... I'm pretty sure you can still do damage using just your fists...

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Starrodkirby86

September 01, 2008, 09:47:52 pm #3 Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 09:49:18 pm by Starrodkirby86
Actually...

Generally you cannot inflict damage without a weapon. It'll set your P-ATK to 0, and you can't do a single thing. There's probably some experimentation that'll make it tough and all to get that P-ATK not zero, but yeah. There's scripts that try to emulate this.

Can you tell this technique however?

For those people who still think you can attack without a weapon, just go get an unedited game and test battle against two Ghosts without a weapon.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Aqua

Even if your Atk is 0, you still do damage because you have strength.

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Aqua on September 01, 2008, 09:49:44 pm
Even if your Atk is 0, you still do damage because you have strength.
I would say that is the case, but I tested that out right now. I gave Arshes 999 Strength and equipped him with a Ring of Strength. Did the standard test battle and make him have no weapon. Bam, nothing happens again, 0 damage, whether I use regular attack or Cross Cut.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!

Aqua

Are you doing it in Blizz-ABS, Star?

I think Blizz made it so no weapon makes it 0 damage /only/ in Blizz-ABS...

Regular battle does damage when no weapon is equipped

Starrodkirby86

Just did it on two clean games without Blizz-ABS. It still gave the same result, I even gave Arshes 999 Strength as well. Can you try this out too on a clean project...so it doesn't look like I'm lost in my own world going blah...@_@

Pokol DaErran

Quote from: Starrodkirby86 on September 01, 2008, 09:59:58 pm
Just did it on two clean games without Blizz-ABS. It still gave the same result, I even gave Arshes 999 Strength as well. Can you try this out too on a clean project...so it doesn't look like I'm lost in my own world going blah...@_@

Here's something else weird.
I just realized that my game's characters can all do damage w/out weapons, whether their weapon is locked to none or not! :O.o:
And I got the same result Star did when I tested it on a clean game.
I did make one modification to the script on this game, though...
I removed everything that tells the game to refresh events, because I didn't want it refreshing treasure chests and such.  Could that have somehow affected my game?
--Bolt

Aqua

Um... yes...

That'll make it so that events never update at all, which is very very bad.

If you want to make treasure chests only give one item, make it turn on a self-switch after it gives the item.

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Pokol DaErran on September 01, 2008, 10:02:12 pm
I removed everything that tells the game to refresh events, because I didn't want it refreshing treasure chests and such.  Could that have somehow affected my game?
Um...that's kind of like suicide there...You really need to learn switches and self switches Pokol...x_X

You can use a self switch and a new page requiring Self Switch (letter) on so the treasure chest won't refresh. Learn switches as fast as possible. D:

---

Though I don't think refreshing events relate to the battle algorithms that make something 0... :hm:

Pokol DaErran

Quote from: Starrodkirby86 on September 01, 2008, 10:05:30 pm
Quote from: Pokol DaErran on September 01, 2008, 10:02:12 pm
Um...that's kind of like suicide there...You really need to learn switches and self switches Pokol...x_X

You can use a self switch and a new page requiring Self Switch (letter) on so the treasure chest won't refresh. Learn switches as fast as possible. D:

---

Though I don't think refreshing events relate to the battle algorithms that make something 0... :hm:

Quote from: Aqua on September 01, 2008, 10:03:48 pm
Um... yes...

That'll make it so that events never update at all, which is very very bad.

If you want to make treasure chests only give one item, make it turn on a self-switch after it gives the item.

I'm fine with my events not updating, there was a lot of other stuff I wanted to not update and I haven't had any problems so far.  But I'll remember that if I start having problems...
--Bolt

shdwlink1993

Quote from: Pokol DaErran on September 01, 2008, 10:06:55 pm
I'm fine with my events not updating, there was a lot of other stuff I wanted to not update and I haven't had any problems so far.  But I'll remember that if I start having problems...

I'll give this a week. Tops.
Stuff I've made:

"Never think you're perfect or else you'll stop improving yourself."

"Some people say the glass is half full... some half empty... I just wanna know who's been drinking my beer."

TheHackMan

You could just make a skill called Fists or something, make it cost 0MP and give it some low stats and then you can do some damage w/out a weapon, although this is kind of getting around that problem since it might be considered a magic skill by the system which would explain damage still being done without a weapon.

Blizzard

September 02, 2008, 11:04:19 am #14 Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 11:05:49 am by Blizzard
Code: straight from def attack_effect
self.damage = atk * (20 + attacker.str) / 20

0 times any number is 0. Period. You can change it to
self.damage = (atk + 1) * (20 + attacker.str) / 20

and it will never be 0 again.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Pokol DaErran

OK, I tried the test with the ghosties and it worked like it should (no weapons=no damage)  but my game lets you do damage w/out weapons!
So I guess I just screwed up my game.
*Locks*
--Bolt