osu! - rhythm is just a click away

Started by Starrodkirby86, May 03, 2009, 09:05:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Starrodkirby86

May 03, 2009, 09:05:57 pm Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 10:58:59 pm by Starrodkirby86

What is osu!?
osu! is a rhythm game that plays similarly to the Nintendo DS Game "Elite Beat Agents" and "Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!" You basically 'click' or press circles to the beat while maintaining high life and do well throughout the song. It is rather hard to explain, so Gameplay videos can help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulovLQ63eQc (Elite Beat Agents)
Sk8er Boi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkK-67WZ0J8 (Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan [multiscreen])
Zoku

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3iwST_YrNs (osu! [multiscreen, recorded by mattyu007])
Battle With the Four Fiends

So how do I play?
Move the cursor with your mouse. When the approach circle (A giant ring that gets smaller) is about the same size as the hit-circle, click it. You'll either get a 300, 100, 50, or an X (Self-explanatory). There are certain notes known as sliders as well. To do those, hold the mouse button as the approach circle is the same size as the slider's hitcircle. You then move according to the slider ball. Note that sometimes these sliders repeat! Lastly, there are notes known as spinners. When you see a spinner, spin in circles as fast as you can to net as many bonus points possible.

That's the basics of playing. If you downloaded the game, you probably would get the beatmap osu! tutorial. This helps immensely as well. :P

What makes osu! fun?
The game has an online ranking and a very tight integration with the community. Online scoreboards are there as well. Basically, the more skilled you are, the more you expose yourself, you'll be quite known as a pro. Easier difficulties may be boring, but it's really the more difficult ones that provide a true challenge (Or the ones that are challenges to you already). osu! also has one of the best Taiko simulators around, and there is a 'Falling Fruit' special mode known as 'Catch the Beat'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pWocpKr_z4 (Taiko video, by mattyu007)
Kaze no Fantasy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQjmCkxok0w (Catch the Beat video, by BagnoGamer)
Triple Baka!!!

How do I download beatmaps?
You must have a registered account. After you login, go to the Beatmaps link at the navigation bar and select Ranked Beatmaps. Feel free to shuffle through the list to your liking.

I suck at this game a lot. How can I get better?
You may need to check out Beginner's Training and perhaps get better on that.
http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5456

This game is too boring.
Some people don't like certain games. It's just their tastes. If perhaps osu! is boring, maybe you're playing too easy difficulties or you're not challenging yourself at all. Why not get a higher rank? Why not get a #1 at some certain song? Is it because that's impossible? Heck no. If I can get pretty high, then I'm sure you can too after eventual skill. You can play casually as well as a nice relaxing thing to do. Stop when you're frustrated (Do something else, play another song maybe or whatever). It's generally anger that makes people go, "This thing sucks."

I have further questions. Where can I ask?
By all means, feel free to post here or contact me (or another user) on osu!. I recommend you post here or talk to me or another osu! player on this forum as intolerance to ignorance might be around some areas in the site (or chat).

How good are you at osu! ?
I registered during September 22, 2007, but I went inactive until October 30th or so. By now, I'm within the heart of the Top 100 and I have a few new ranked Beatmaps and #1s to boot. (I'm not trying to brag, but it's true...)

If you're an osu! player, feel free to post here. :) I virtually already know who plays and who doesn't, but it's nice to see a few people who aren't there. If you're a player and you're willing to go for a rank sort of thing, I can set up a 'CP scoreboard' here. Just post in your name that you're interested in being here and I'll just amend changes.

osu! standard Leaderboard:

1st: Starrodkirby86: ShowHide

2nd: Reno-s--Joker: ShowHide

3rd: Ryexander: ShowHide

4th: NAMKCOR: ShowHide

5th: Kingmunkey: ShowHide

6th: game_guy: ShowHide

7th: GuardianAngelX72: ShowHide

8th: shdwlink1993: ShowHide

Catch The Beat Leaderboard:

1st: Diokatsu: ShowHide

(By the way, Diokatsu asked me to post this >>; )

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Diokatsu

May 03, 2009, 09:07:53 pm #1 Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 09:12:19 pm by Gym Leader Diokatsu
Posting in epic thread.

Nice job SRK. A good intro thread, maybe just a bit too much info. XD In any case, people will get a good idea of what the game is about. I reccomend everyone try this and stepmania and see if you like either. Osu would be "better" to get intot hough. It has a great community and a really great beatmap system. Onlien ranking makes you feel great, too.

fugibo

ARGH @ LACK OF SUPPORT FOR MAC

I needz me some GAMEZ

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Biker WcW on May 03, 2009, 09:11:08 pm
ARGH @ LACK OF SUPPORT FOR MAC

I needz me some GAMEZ
WcW, actually...

mattyu007 actually got it to work on the Macintosh. Let me show you a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z47MKa9Jdwk

I can't promise you it'll totally be the same experience as Windows though. They still need some version of Windows, though according to him...Mmh, or something. But it works. o.o

Oh, and the game is also made on the iPhone / iPod Touch as well. It's on the Cydia store, or whatever you spell that. You need to jailbreak it to get it though.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!

fugibo

*sigh* The two copies of XP I have are only work on the computers they were bought with, sadly. So I can't even do that (I have VBox and everything, too)

tSwitch

I played OSU! back before I had to re-format my HD.
I've been too lazy to download and play again.

great game though.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Reno-s--Joker

Finally, an osu thread! Go Dio! :xD:

Yeah I tried searching for a few CP members by username and I discovered that you are really quite infectious, Kirby. :)

(put me third when third comes. o_O)

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Psychic Reno-s--Joker on May 03, 2009, 11:28:35 pm
Finally, an osu thread! Go Dio! :xD:

Yeah I tried searching for a few CP members by username and I discovered that you are really quite infectious, Kirby. :)

(put me third when third comes. o_O)

Third? I don't follow.

I'll upload a few videos of me playing some osu! (Not on Youtube) for giggles. Not for bragging rights, but just to share...

And yeah...:xD:

tSwitch

went to download and play it again, and it just crashes on load.
oh well.

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Eilte Four NAMKCOR on May 03, 2009, 11:53:48 pm
went to download and play it again, and it just crashes on load.
oh well.
I bet you're not too concerned or whatever, but I'm just wondering what's up here.

How about try getting osu! to install via the osu-updater?

http://osu.ppy.sh/release/osume.exe

Place it in an empty directory and run it~

tSwitch

Quote from: Elite Four Starrodkirby86 on May 04, 2009, 12:01:33 am
I bet you're not too concerned or whatever, but I'm just wondering what's up here.

How about try getting osu! to install via the osu-updater?

http://osu.ppy.sh/release/osume.exe

Place it in an empty directory and run it~

nope, osu!.exe crashes on load still.

Valcos

Damn, just another game to better than everyone at :V:
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya

tSwitch

compatability mode/administrator mode do nothing.

Starrodkirby86

May 04, 2009, 12:49:54 am #13 Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 12:52:45 am by Elite Four Starrodkirby86
Quote from: Eilte Four NAMKCOR on May 04, 2009, 12:47:34 am
Perhaps it would help if you post up the error here?

And if the error is unfamiliar, you can always post it in Bug Reports within the osu! Forum. There's going to be a new public build sooner or later though...So maybe you can wait on that too. :x

EDIT: Eh, have this uploaded video of me playing Shanghai Alice of Meiji 17 (Hong Meiling's Theme from Touhou 06):
http://www.dailymotion.com/user/Starrodkirby86/video/x96gsn_shanghai-alice-of-meiji-17-dbu

[I made the map ._.]

Valcos

Holy crap.... Kirby, you are just shy of being in the top 50!! Thats the first page of rankings :o!! Im impressed :naughty:
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya

King Munkey

He was 49 for a short while.

I play but I havent in a few weeks though. ^_^ I need to get to playing somemore once i finish finals this week.

G_G Is my hero!
Munkey != monkey
Munkey > monkey

Reno-s--Joker

Quote from: Elite Four Starrodkirby86 on May 03, 2009, 11:37:20 pm
Third? I don't follow.

Oh oh, I was talking about the CP list before but then I realised it was a ranked list. >_<
*headdesks*
Here, take my [crappy] challenge! >:U
Spoiler: ShowHide

King Munkey

G_G Is my hero!
Munkey != monkey
Munkey > monkey

tSwitch

May 04, 2009, 01:58:24 pm #18 Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 02:01:27 pm by Eilte Four NAMKCOR
Quote from: Elite Four Starrodkirby86 on May 04, 2009, 12:49:54 am
Quote from: Eilte Four NAMKCOR on May 04, 2009, 12:47:34 am
Perhaps it would help if you post up the error here?

And if the error is unfamiliar, you can always post it in Bug Reports within the osu! Forum. There's going to be a new public build sooner or later though...So maybe you can wait on that too. :x

EDIT: Eh, have this uploaded video of me playing Shanghai Alice of Meiji 17 (Hong Meiling's Theme from Touhou 06):
http://www.dailymotion.com/user/Starrodkirby86/video/x96gsn_shanghai-alice-of-meiji-17-dbu

[I made the map ._.]

there is no error, Vista never gives you errors, it just says "The application has quit unexpectedly"

ranking sucks now, but I used to play more :/

tSwitch

May 15, 2009, 10:38:59 pm #19 Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 03:18:03 am by Elite Four NAMKCOR
osu likes windows 7

edit:
been playing the taiko/drum mode today

I'm so very proud of that.