High vs Low Numbers / Balancing out your game

Started by mroedesigns, July 19, 2011, 01:53:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mroedesigns

July 19, 2011, 01:53:38 pm Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 01:54:54 pm by mroedesigns
So I know there are people that tend to leave most of the default items/enemies/whatever else when working on an RPG Maker project, but my question is for those change them. Do you prefer higher numbers in your stats or lower? And how would you go about ensuring your game is well-balanced?

Personally I prefer lower numbers just because I find things easier to manage and change that way. Plus from low numbers I can scale up as much as I desire, which again I find easier.

Blizzard

I like high numbers. I know it's just numbers, but you can't deny that 954412 damage looks more awesome than 954.

I did it in CP. At the end of the game each character should have pretty much no problem dealing 20k-30k damage with a strong skill. 21437 looks better than 2143 does. <3
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

mroedesigns

That's true. I guess since I'm doing an online game I'm trying to go for a combination of players feeling like they can do a lot of damage when they're stronger, and still being fairly simple. Im also keeping it low for now at least for testing and to make it easier on me.

Cid

I'm using low numbers for the simple reason that my game is rather mild in nature, so I think outrageous damage would look a little out of place. Although I'm not really a fan of high numbers anyway.

AliveDrive

I think its good to start out with low numbers and then work your way up as needed.

For me, I like to see around 100 damage by Lv. 10. By Lv. 20 maybe see 1000 damage.

Depending on how high a level your max level is it seems appropriate to see outrageous numbers as your characters become more and more powerful.

In most games, you don't reach the max level before the final boss fight.

This ensures that if you are having difficulty with the fight you can always level more.
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

winkio

One of these days I'm going to make an rpg where damage is so large it must be expressed in scientific notation.  Deal a cool 3.5 * 10^37 damage with a basic attack.

Boba Fett Link

I don't know. I'd have to agree with mroedesign: smaller numbers are more manageable. When I think of real RPG games, all of them have numbers on the lower end of the spectrum.
This post will self-destruct in 30 seconds.

Blizzard

September 21, 2011, 02:15:45 am #7 Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 02:17:30 am by Blizzard
It really depends on the game. Most games are in the 1000's and 10000's, most childish RPGs are in the 100's, maybe 1000's. Rarely you can see a game below 100's (which are often quite childish) or above 100000 (games that often look cooler and have a more lot serious undertone).

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

AliveDrive

Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door had extremely low numbers.

It is a childish game but I really enjoyed the simplicity of the system.
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

Blizzard

Every Mario RPG had extremely low numbers. I enjoyed a couple of Mario RPGs myself. I was just saying where low numbers are used and where high numbers are used.

Lobstrosity

I love starting games off doing damage in only 2-digit numbers and ending in the hundred thousands. The reason I love it is because it just shows the development of your characters. And 2 digit numbers - 6 or 7 digit numbers just shows a massive increase!
Don't come any closer. I'm armed... with SCIENCE!

Blizzard

I like starting off in the 3 digits more. They don't grow THAT much. xD

Lore

Well, some of the Dragon Quest games start off in the single digits and end up somewhere in the four digits and you can argue that it is a pretty hardcore RPG. :P
Facebook is like your fridge. You know nothing is in there, but you check every 5 minutes anyways.

Blizzard

It definitely is. xD Secret of Mana starts off in 1-2 digits and you can do nice 4 digit damage by the end of the game as well.

legacyblade

Just because I'm bad with numbers, I like to use single or double digit numbers. I owe this a bit to D&D as well, which uses smaller numbers. Once a number gets 4 digits, it's hard for me to read it. Now if it has 5-7 digits, I just level grind so I can mash the A button and not worry about thinking through the numbers and strategy (the numbers are just too big for me to think through, ya know?

I also think 999 should be insta-kill. Because...I dunno, it's 999.

V o d

September 24, 2011, 02:14:00 am #15 Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 02:16:42 am by V o d
I like high numbers only if I'm the one dealing it.
Playing Ragnarok Online for a long time made me love/hate high numbers. If you get a 5 digit number you're usually almost dead or dead. *spams pots* On the other hand if you dealt that its good, if it was a player. If it was a high-tier monster you'll need a 7+ digits to kill it.
But that game became even more extremely unbalanced, and the new stuff they added made me give up.
Pretty much starting out from 1 digit numbers, then after maxing your lvl and equipment you can dish a 7+ digit.

I've been playing Grand Knights History for the past 2 weeks. The digits, I've seen, only go up to 3 and even then damage is usually around 100-400+ for my party's average lvl. If my party was higher lvl I'd probably be one-hitted by everyone I fought. My characters' stats are bad  for their lvl, so they can't equip better equipment.

I think instant kill should be:
"∞"
There's no way you can survive that damage.

Slime 1 uses Slimey Death.
Arshes receives ∞ damage.
Arshes has fallen.
You've been defeated.
Game over.

But if that single word is too small for you, make it ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞..etc etc
Just to show the player how large infinity is.

Lore

Quote from: winkio on September 13, 2011, 02:14:43 am
One of these days I'm going to make an rpg where damage is so large it must be expressed in scientific notation.  Deal a cool 3.5 * 10^37 damage with a basic attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soH8jG_gfGQ&feature=relmfu

Ahem. <3
Facebook is like your fridge. You know nothing is in there, but you check every 5 minutes anyways.

winkio

Lore

Quote from: winkio on September 27, 2011, 05:06:03 pm
bah, 10 million, weak sauce.

They dealt 978 million+ with one skill LOL. You can chain skills.

Blizzard

September 27, 2011, 05:57:33 pm #19 Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 06:00:58 pm by Blizzard
This game could be more badass if they'd lose the childish anime graphics and used badass anime graphics instead.

EDIT: Did he just say that they lead you through "casual erections"?! O_o;