High vs Low Numbers / Balancing out your game

Started by mroedesigns, July 19, 2011, 01:53:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lore

Yeah, well Disgaea is already a badass series. It may have childish graphics, but it has one of the deepest stories and most intricate systems to have ever been seen in an RPG series :P

And he says "Casual interactions" xD
Facebook is like your fridge. You know nothing is in there, but you check every 5 minutes anyways.

MindOnFire

Quote from: Lore on September 27, 2011, 04:54:48 pm
Quote from: winkio on September 13, 2011, 02:14:43 am
One of these days I'm going to make an rpg where damage is so large it must be expressed in scientific notation.  Deal a cool 3.5 * 10^37 damage with a basic attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soH8jG_gfGQ&feature=relmfu

Ahem. <3

^ Jesus Christ that is amusingly unnecessary. As soon as he got to the line "Take a dump in the face of common sense." I couldn't want anymore. Lol @ the 10,000,000 damage+ shit. I want attacks like that in Chrono Trigger.

I'm one of those kinds who basically tries to make it so that by the time you hit the end level you have about 9,999 HP. I don't actually know how to go beyond that but I don't really see it as necessary either. The only thing I really dislike in RPGs as far as damage numbers go (I don't care if they're high or low to be honest) Is when you have monsters that look like they could breathe on you and it'd corrode your skin, dealing say, 4,500 damage, then you with your stupid little stick or sharpened piece of metal hitting it for like 8536 or whatever and taking infinitely less time to kill it than it would to kill you. Having a horribly disproportioned HP/Attack/Magic system in most games are where those games begin making no sense.
Then.
Now.
Forever.

G_G

Low numbers, because I can add them in my head.

Solusandra

Agreed, I find low numbers are much easier to manage. Plus, when you start seeing the bigger numbers, it means it just got real. Final Fantasy XIII I felt did this rather well, the later enemies are powerful enough to do lots of damage to you and the final super-skills give you some massive massive attacks.

Granted I use Chrono Trigger as my model, so low damage on both sides, 999 max HP (all but one of my cast are ordinary-ish mortals), 9999 damage cap, typically two digit damage until you get the later skills.

That said, I love how OTT the Disgaea series is. There is no damage cap, the post-game superbosses can have trillions of HP so you need everything you can get to stomp them.

An example of poor balancing though (a case where the numbers should have been allowed to go higher) - Yiazmat in Final Fantasy XII. 5 billion HP, but you are limited to a maximum damage cap of 6999 at a time for most of the fight. XIII never goes as high in HP, but some bosses have millions of HP. Even so the much higher cap means you blow through the HP faster, making it less of a slog.

That's what it is all about to me. Rather than big numbers / small numbers, it's how well those numbers fit and scale. I don't want to be limited to four-figure damage if my opponent has a dozen zeroes on the end of his HP score!

So to answer the original question, prefer low numbers, high numbers have their place too, the important thing is BALANCE.