Bluescreens and Constant Freezing

Started by G_G, July 26, 2011, 02:46:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

G_G

Its been doing this for a few days now. Out of nowhere I'll be browsing the internet and all of a sudden entire computer freezes. It won't do anything. I've sat here for half an hour waiting for it to unfreeze so I had to hard reboot it. The same thing happens for bluescreens, it'll just randomly happen. It'll do it right as it finishes booting, it'll do both freeze and/or blue screen. Now here's the thing, I don't have any weird/unknown processes running. I'm not using all of my RAM. It makes no sense for my computer to do this. I have no viruses, I've done several scans.  Its getting pretty annoying and I can't even watch a mere youtube video none the less do some coding. If anyone has any ideas or solutions, I'd appreciate if you'd share them. I'm getting ready to explode right now.

Blizzard

July 26, 2011, 03:42:38 pm #1 Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 03:43:44 pm by Blizzard
Three possible reasons. (Freezing implies either actual freezing or a BSOD)

1. Your CPU fan is dirty and your PC freezes/restarts as a safety precaution so your CPU doesn't get fried.
2. Same as above, but with GPU instead of CPU.
3. One of your RAM modules has a corrupted section. While this usually causes restarts right after the boot-up screen, it's also possible that your PC freezes suddenly.
4. The least likely is that the RAM module slot was actually damaged.

Possible solutions:

1. Open up your PC, dismount the fan, clean it. Vacuum cleaner and some tissues will do the trick. You don't even need wet tissues, dry tissues are usually just fine.
2. Same as above just with your graphics card.
3. If you have more than one RAM module, try removing one of them and using your PC like that to find the faulty module. If you have only one, try asking a friend if you can switch for a couple of days to see how it works out.
4. Same as above. If you have a faulty RAM slot, you should figure it out very quickly.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ForeverZer0

I had the same problem before (the BSODS).  It turned out to be a driver for a x86 system that was incompatible with the x64 one I was running.  After removing it, everything has worked perfectly.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

winkio

I've seen similar behavior with a damaged hard drive from my friend's computer.

G_G

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on July 27, 2011, 12:08:21 am
I had the same problem before (the BSODS).  It turned out to be a driver for a x86 system that was incompatible with the x64 one I was running.  After removing it, everything has worked perfectly.

This seems like it'd be the problem.

Quote from: winkio on July 27, 2011, 12:16:50 am
I've seen similar behavior with a damaged hard drive from my friend's computer.

This might be the problem.

Quote from: Blizzard on July 26, 2011, 03:42:38 pm

1. Your CPU fan is dirty and your PC freezes/restarts as a safety precaution so your CPU doesn't get fried.
3. One of your RAM modules has a corrupted section. While this usually causes restarts right after the boot-up screen, it's also possible that your PC freezes suddenly.
4. The least likely is that the RAM module slot was actually damaged.

Possible solutions:

1. Open up your PC, dismount the fan, clean it. Vacuum cleaner and some tissues will do the trick. You don't even need wet tissues, dry tissues are usually just fine.
2. Same as above just with your graphics card.
3. If you have more than one RAM module, try removing one of them and using your PC like that to find the faulty module. If you have only one, try asking a friend if you can switch for a couple of days to see how it works out.
4. Same as above. If you have a faulty RAM slot, you should figure it out very quickly.

Gave it a whirl, cleaned out all of my fans and my graphics card. Removed all RAM slots and placed them back in. Problem still occurs.

ForeverZer0

July 27, 2011, 01:26:18 am #5 Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 01:37:28 am by ForeverZer0
There was some tool I got, or some Windows setting you can set, I forget which one, but it helped me.  All it does is is whenever you get a BSOD, it shows the name of the driver that caused it.  This is pretty helpful, since all you have to go by normally is a bunch of memory addresses written in hex, which isn't very helpful.

I'll see if I can remember what I did, and let you know.

EDIT:
Windows Debugging Tools  http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx

You can install these, and then you can also read the minidump files to see who the bad guy is.  This page explains it pretty well.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Ryex

I was having problems like this, turns out my hard drive was failing.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

G_G

Bluescreens are getting worse. The file thats causing it is hal.dll. I dunno what driver that is, dunno how to prevent it from doing whatever. If anyone has any help to offer I'd appreciate it.

Blizzard

Make a backup of your stuff. Your PC is going to die.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

D: Forever? Or will a simple HD Wipe and OS reinstall fix it?

ForeverZer0

The issue with the HAL driver usually occurs after new hardware is added.  Didn't you just get a new video card?

Make sure the drivers for it are updated and compatible, and make sure all the connections are tight.

G_G

Its compatible, drivers are up to date, connections are tight. When I first got the graphics card no problems occurred. I've had it for awhile now.

Blizzard

Quote from: game_guy on August 04, 2011, 12:18:15 pm
D: Forever? Or will a simple HD Wipe and OS reinstall fix it?

Hopefully not forever. But if it's a hardware problem and it's getting worse, it's likely that it is. :/ You have to find out which part is causing the problem ASAP. At least then you don't have to buy parts blindly and know what needs to be fixed. Install some hardware monitoring software and try to find out what is causing it. I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem and if the BSODs keep getting more frequent, it means that that problem is getting worse. :/

G_G

Its my graphics card. I switched to my old one and it works just fine. This really sucks...

Ryex

is your card under any sort of warranty? a card shouldn't fail that fast. usually they come with at least a 1 year manufacture's warranty.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

G_G

Yeah theres a warranty. I'm first going to bring it to best buy, unfortunately I lost the receipt so I'm not sure they can help me. If not I'll call nVidia and see if they can send me a new one.

G_G

ROFL

I actually found out the cause for this awhile ago. Its from my graphics card getting too hot and constantly crashing on me. Whenever this happens I just leave my computer off for a few hours and it works again.

Blizzard

Quote from: game_guy on August 04, 2011, 08:58:29 pm
Its my graphics card. I switched to my old one and it works just fine. This really sucks...

You said that already. xD

Spaceman McConaughey

I don't think he knew exactly what problem his graphics card was giving him before, though.

G_G

Quote from: Blizzard on November 09, 2011, 06:24:14 am

Quote from: game_guy on August 04, 2011, 08:58:29 pm

You said that already. xD

I knew it was my graphics card, I just didn't know why it was doing this.

Spaceman McConaughey