The world is a big place

Started by winkio, August 13, 2011, 12:53:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

The world is a big place.  As we get more advanced communications technology, we realize how much there is going on in the world.  There are more wars, sports events, riots, fashion shows, and religious movements than any one person can keep track of.  Yet every day, all this information is available.  We have to be introduced to many of the problems around the world, but we are also forced to ignore many of them, as there are simply too many to keep track of.

Human society is coming together globally due to the internet, and we are finding out that it's simply too big to be able to process all the details using conventional methods.  The question central to this topic is: what is a new way to process details and interact with a large global society?

Blizzard

August 13, 2011, 05:39:57 am #1 Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 11:53:24 am by Blizzard
The only successful way that people so far have done is simply splitting everything up into regions. Divide and conquer, if you will. As you already said, taking on a problem on a global scale is pretty much impossible. You cannot build a car if you don't build its parts first and then put the parts together. Though, there should be a plan on a global scale before anything can be done. That plan should define how problems on a smaller scale should be solved (let's say regional scale). This split up should be repeated until a size of society that can be properly administrated. I think that a neighborhood is a size of society where administration is simple enough but still effective. Basically a split like global->region->nation->city->neighborhood could work out. But this is only in theory and the corruption factor is left out completely. Maybe at least things could be done better.

For this plan to work, things would have to start the other way around because low level information is needed in order to make good decisions in the upper layer. e.g. A neighborhood requires the information from all citizen, the city from all neighborhoods, etc. I think we are actually headed to total globalization in every way. It won't be done like this, it will be done by simply merging the parts that are already there instead of creating a new structure from ground up. This will cause problems as individual parts are simply "bad". Imagine building a house. If you build a wall with lots of messed up blocks, there will be problems. And you won't be able to simply substitute the block or just take it out and fix it.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

The Niche

I agree with Blizzard here. I believe that the only way a community can work is if the ruling body personally knows every single person they're in charge of. The people ruling the next level should personally know all the ruling bodies underneath them and so on.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!