The good'ol games

Started by winkio, June 03, 2008, 12:10:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

If any of you played video games 10 years ago, you know that almost every game out there today is just a knockoff of some old nintendo game, only with better graphics.  And possibly a worse storyline.  So anyways, this is the topic to discuss how awesome those old games were.  Here are a few to refresh your memory:

Kirby Superstar
Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars
Yoshi's Island
Kirby's Avalanche
The Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time
Super Mario 64
Doom (not technically nintendo, but appeared on the '64)
Super Mario Kart
Banjo Kazooie (and Banjo Tooie)
Starfox

Let's all discuss our favorite classic games! (N64/Playstation and older)

Blizzard

I played them all except Doom. :3
And I played Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie only a little.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Sally

i played (imbold)

Kirby Superstar lookit my avvy
Yoshi's Island
Kirby's Avalanche
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Kart
Starfox

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: winkio on June 03, 2008, 12:10:19 pm
If any of you played video games 10 years ago, you know that almost every game out there today is just a knockoff of some old nintendo game, only with better graphics.  And possibly a worse storyline.  So anyways, this is the topic to discuss how awesome those old games were.  Here are a few to refresh your memory:

Kirby Superstar
Yoshi's Island
Kirby's Avalanche
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Kart
Starfox

Let's all discuss our favorite classic games! (N64/Playstation and older)

Here's the ones I played. For Star Fox though, I only played the one over in the Brawl Trial, but I supposed that counts.

Who here likes the Castlevania game franchise!? *Expects agreement, but here alone and solitary*

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Sally

omg im looking at ur siggy... ur good at stepmania :( im bad rly bad... lol

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Susys on June 03, 2008, 09:46:06 pm
omg im looking at ur siggy... ur good at stepmania :( im bad rly bad... lol
It's all right. It takes a lot of practice, and I really stink right now. I'm seriously rusty (Again, for like, the umpteenth time). My recent plays, which is right here: http://stepmaniaonline.com/index.php?mod=Stepmania+Online&player=Gaarafan4910

I'm showing a sign of weakness. I'm getting lower ranks than my intended. That's not supposed to happen. Argh...

And winkio, it's all right to speak about Stepmania because it is a variation of Dance Dance Revolution, which is now ten years old! Woo, tenth anniversary (Which meant DDR debuted in the tender year of 1998).

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!

Blizzard

You're right, Castlevania's are missing. D:

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

yes, many are missing.  Definitely

Castlevania (although I only played them a few times).  Also:

Donkey Kong (mario vs monkey throwing barrels)
The full game for the original gameboy was awesome!  I think there were at least 70 levels!

Pokemon (good the first time around)
Who didn't play this game obsessively?

Final Fantasy (HOW COULD I FORGET!? :o)
No explanation needed

Donkey Kong Series (From Country to '64)
some people may not habve played these but they were very original and innovative.
btw I saw a commercial for a new game called "Space chimps" that is exactly like  DK 64 - 5 chimps, you switch them out, adventure game, swinging from vines, the works.

Those are my additions but again, feel free to add ur own!
I'll leave it to kirby to add stepmania.

Blizzard

Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore
Illusion of Gaia (aka Illusion of Time)
Terranigma <3 <3 <3

winkio

I know secret of mana, but i havent played the others, mostly because I didn't get into rpgs until after the SNES.  They all look great!  I shall download them and play them now!  I'll start with terranigma, because it has an ABS (I <3 ABS).

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: winkio on June 04, 2008, 11:18:47 am
yes, many are missing.  Definitely

Castlevania:
Killing a vampire has never gotten any better. The recent games are very fun for their RPG system can be addicting, with the action paced platforming skills. It's one of the only games I played fairly through the end, rather, one of the whole series.

Donkey Kong
The full game for the original gameboy was awesome!  I think there were at least 70 levels!

There is about 100 levels. Someone created a speed-run of it, beating it in about 37 minutes or something.

Pokemon
Who didn't play this game obsessively?

I agree, the first so generations were classics. The Gold/Silver generation was my prime favorite however. Get ready people for Pokemon Platinum.

Final Fantasy

I like the RPG. :3

Donkey Kong Series (From Country to '64)
some people may not habve played these but they were very original and innovative.
btw I saw a commercial for a new game called "Space chimps" that is exactly like  DK 64 - 5 chimps, you switch them out, adventure game, swinging from vines, the works.

Oh that. :P

Those are my additions but again, feel free to add ur own!
I'll leave it to kirby to add stepmania.

Dance Dance Revolution (Konami)

It's one of the original rhythm games that was pretty good. The recent series isn't up to par as some other ones, such as the Hottest Party ones, but that's all right. It is good exercise.

EarthBound

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves...if you haven't played EarthBound. On the outside, it's a regular Turn-based RPG with humor. However, it is beautifully crafted from Itoi, and the third game in the series is very anticipated by fans of EarthBound worldwide...

winkio

Sweet, Terranigma is AWESOME! Thanks Blizz!  Anyone who hasn't played it should download it now!

Blizzard

The story is pretty cool as well with a nice few twists at the end. :3

winkio

Yes, I like the story so far, and all the references to history and the world.  I don't think I'm near the end yet:  I just started the haunted castle in spain.  I can't believe I've never heard of this game before.  I guess the only downside is that is uses pretty much the same two music loops over and over, but the gameplay is smooth and fun.

Blizzard

Yeah, the music could be more dynamic. I think that the queen, the boss at the castle is the hardest boss in the game. If you are under level 20, don't even try to fight her. If you are between 20 and 25, you should have no big problems. If you are over 25, th battle will take 1-2 minutes. BTW, I usually level up in the desert city with the zombies to level 20. The little bit of extra battles later before you get to the queen is just enough to get up to 23-24 and have a smooth-going battle with that w(b)itch. xD

You are at somewhere around 40%-50% of the game I'd say. I think that it's too short, there should have been at least 10 more hours of gameplay. :3

Starrodkirby86

Strangely, I haven't played Terranigma. I played the other games made by the people of Terranigma, Illusion of Gaia, ActRaiser, and Soul Blazer for example, but not Terranigma. I know I know, you're going to annoy me about playing it or something, but oh well...What's the best part that differentiates Terranigma from the other Action RPGs made by the same developer?

Blizzard

June 08, 2008, 01:17:29 pm #16 Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 01:20:49 pm by Blizzard
It's better in every aspect. ABS is better, story is better, music is better, maybe even the graphics. xD IMO it's a shame that this "series" never continued. As I see it, each game topped the one before. :3 I won't annoy you with playing it, but it really is a game that should be played. :)

Other than that I liked the game feeling. You are "creating the world". Usually in games you try to stop somebody destroying it, but this time you are first "creating" it before you have to defend it from bad influence which isn't necessarily destruction.

Diokatsu

anyone played system shock? it's probly my fav game still to this date. and system shock 2 was done by ken lavine who did bioshock which is teh pwnage

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Diokatsu on June 13, 2008, 07:56:35 pm
anyone played system shock? it's probly my fav game still to this date. and system shock 2 was done by ken lavine who did bioshock which is teh pwnage
And tell me, which console is this on? It doesn't help me if you give something saying that System Shock was by the person who did Bioshock, which is a more recent game, giving the implication that System Shock is also pretty recent...Since this thread mainly relates to the old games...

And welcome to posting Dio. :P

Diokatsu

system shock 1 came out in 1994.....i was saying that the franchise is a mainstay on the level of bioshock by metioning that the person who worked on it is a decent game designer if he created bioshock.....guess im the only one who listened to the release podcasts with ken himself*sadface*

and ty:)