A question for all fantasy writers

Started by legacyblade, July 07, 2011, 12:48:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

legacyblade

I don't really know if this is advertising. But I'm working on making an e-course about fantasy writing. And seeing as how this is an RPG making forum, I assume we have a lot of those here :P But before I take all the time required to pour my heart and soul into ranting on my soapbox about fantasy writing, I wanted to check to see what things all the fantasy writers WANT to hear about. So I put together a quick survey, I'd REALLY appreciate if you could take the time to fill it out. Most of it's multiple choice. It should only take a couple minutes.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8Z6L2YG

If you want a fantasy writing e-course targeted towards YOUR needs, then click on the link above and let me know what those needs are.

The Niche

I filled it out. I'm expecting big things, Legacy. Big things.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

legacyblade

I just looked through the submissions I've gotten today. I checked the names people added and I saw "The Niche". I was like "Oh hai, I know him!" So I was coming to post a thanks for filling it out. So thanks Niche.

And I fully plan on delivering on those big expectations you have. I've been reading books on how to write good fantasy (especially world building. I know I've read at least 10 books on coming up with names for people and locations) since I was about 11. I know a lot on the subject, so i figured I might as well try make it my career to help digest all this stuff floating in my mind to help out others who didn't have the good fortune of parents who would spend a couple hundred bucks a month on books from the time they were but a wee lad. :P

The Niche

Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

ShinyToyGuns

Filled it out...seems interesting, and maybe this could help me :)
Days
I've missed so many days
In a world that has become an unfamiliar place
Now to you, I'm just an unfamiliar face

~Shiny Toy Guns, Blown Away (2008)

PhoenixFire

Filled it out, and, I also expect great things from you.. Or Else!! :evil:
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

legacyblade

Sorry. Would have responded sooner. But this is my job, so I take weekends off on this :P

Thanks for replying guys :D I noticed you two answered, and I think FAX did as well. So thanks! This is really helping me out.

And for everyone who is interested in participating in the beta (thanks for your interest by the way :D), you'll be getting somewhere in the area of a 75% discount. You'll just have to give me some detailed feedback about what you did and didn't like about the product in return. I'm going to the run the survey for a few more days before I decide on what to make (early estimates are probably going to be an online class with video lectures, though I'd also provide article versions of the lectures for people who like reading over watching), but you're gonna get a huge discount for beta.

Thanks again for filling this out :D

Spaceman McConaughey

Well, I filled out the survey too, although I decided to remain anonymous. Just won't be able to do the program, though.

Power Hungry Midget

Did the survey. Don't know if I'll do the course, I'm poor. Are you doing a book as well?

The plot thickens......

I have a mind to join a club and then beat you over the head with it.
     -Groucho Marx
I often quote myself. I find it adds spice to the conversation.
     -George Bernard Shaw

http://xkcd.com/303

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.
    -Oscar Wilde

legacyblade

@Power Hungry Midget, Yes. I will be doing books as well. Those will be WAAAY cheaper than the course, for those of you that can't afford a class (I know what that's like, I'm not very affluent, and now that I'm 20 my parents don't buy me stuff anymore :P). I am not just doing this for the money. I also want to help people write better fantasy. Partially because I'm sick of how low quality a lot of today's fantasy is (finding a good fantasy book in the book store is a nightmare), partially because I understand how hard it is to learn this stuff, and partially because I just love talking about how to write fantasy.

So even if you don't have money to spend on a full blown e-course, I will be writing books (some for free, some for small amounts of money) that you'll be able to use.

@tuggernuts (I just realized your name wasn't truggernauts...), thanks for filling it out. Would you feel comfortable sharing the reason you won't be able to do the program? (even if it's "I just don't feel like it" any feedback REALLY helps me out.)

Spaceman McConaughey

Power Hungry Midget

That sounds great. I wish you luck with your course. It's great to see someone who wants to help people write better fantasy. Myself and the Niche are actually nearly finished our first book together.

The plot thickens......

-Groucho Marx
     -George Bernard Shaw

-Oscar Wilde

legacyblade

@Tuggernuts, ah ok. Well that is a legitimate reason. Thanks for sharing :D

@Midget, Well I look at it this way. The more people I teach how to write good fantasy book, the more fantasy books that'll be up to my standards (being an English major who watches and reads reviews for recreation has the side effect of making you picky). So I'll have more to read AND I'll have been able to talk about fantasy a lot. It's a double win! (triple win if I make enough money on this to support myself as a fulltime writer). And that's cool. I assume you mean a novel/story, right?

Power Hungry Midget

That's exactly what I mean. Unfortunately, The Niche won't be able to write for about three weeks. Still we hope to have it done by the end of summer. And then there's three more to come in the series. It'll probably be like a euro or two for a kindle copy, although we could probably do you a copy for free if you review it. Do you do reviewing?

The plot thickens......

-Groucho Marx
     -George Bernard Shaw

-Oscar Wilde

PhoenixFire

*points at self*

I would assume I am one of the three?
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Power Hungry Midget

Wait, are you talking about the secret project about the you know what? Cos we're not supposed to bring that up. Cos me and The Niche have four books planned and then there's the secret project which I shouldn't be mentioning.

The plot thickens......

-Groucho Marx
     -George Bernard Shaw

-Oscar Wilde

legacyblade

Naw, I don't do book reviews. Books are really long, and in my reviews I like to go through what I'm reviewing at least 5 times to get a good feel of why everything is good or bad. And with a full length book that's gonna take a looooong time. But I'll probably check it out, if the summary and sample chapter interest me.

Fallen Angel X

Me, fill out things, naaaahhh. Maybe. I take refuge in anonymity!

Power Hungry Midget

Well, so far it's not much longer then a short novel, about 60,000 words. And it's pretty light. Still, we'll go hunting for some reviewers when the time comes. *Stops going off topic* lol.

The plot thickens......

-Groucho Marx
     -George Bernard Shaw

-Oscar Wilde

The Niche

Wait, are you still looking for beta-sters? Cos I'll volunteer if you are.