[C#] RPG Maker ScriptEditor Development Thread

Started by ForeverZer0, August 24, 2011, 01:53:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ForeverZer0

August 24, 2011, 01:53:27 am Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 08:26:44 pm by ForeverZer0
In case anyone has not seen the Zlib discussion a short bit ago, I mentioned I am making an enhanced script editor for RMXP/RMVX.  I already have, implemented quite a few nice features into it that the default script editor is lacking, and I plan to add some more.  I would say currently I am about 70% done (at least with the hard stuff), and now I more working on design and the extra little goodies that come with any IDE.  This brings me to the point of my thread:  What do scripters out there want out of an IDE built specifically for the RPG Maker community?  I would like some feedback on what is most important to each person.

Working Features So Far (or mostly working)

• Can directly edit script archives for RMXP and RMVX

• Ability to run game from the editor, either in DEBUG/TEST mode, or release mode

• Syntax highlighting, with configuration for tweaking the lexer to how you see fit, including custom colors, fonts, and styles

• Autocomplete for Ruby constants and classes, same with RMXP (autocomplete for RMVX not quite done yet)

• Brace matching

• Multiple tabbed documents open for quick selecting between them

• Drag and drop game project files for easy loading

• Drag and drop other files for quick import of scripts

• Folding code for classes, methods, blocks, etc

• Guidelines

• Batch commenting/uncommenting

• Auto-Indenting

• Current line highlighting

Planned Features

• New project creation

• And more

What I will NOT be Adding

• Active syntax checking, although I might add a "Click to Test Code" type of feature or something

• Full blown Intellisense with dynamically adding autocomplete words for your custom classes, variables, etc. will likely not happen anytime soon

• Support for other game makers

• I may include a snippet manager, but macros are out of the question

Other than what I listed as "will nots", I'm open for any ideas.  Please keep in my mind that I am not a professional, and I do this as a hobby.  I will not be creating the most bad-ass IDE that ever was made, so please keep your ideas more on the simple side, and design ideas.  

Well without further talk, here's a link to the current build.  Do not mind the all the files inside, they will be merged before final release. For nor, the only one of concern is "ScriptEditor.exe".

RPG Maker Script Editor (2.22 MB)

This application is dependent on Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or higher.

P.S.  I sooo used the download pic from DM in case you're wondering. ;)
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

AngryPacman

COOL!
I especially like the hiding feature thing. It'll be great for tracking down incorrect number of 'end' errors.
A suggestion; I've noticed something that you may or may not be aware of. When creating a range, i.e.
for i in 0..2

The first dot is highlighted the color of the number (which makes sense), but the second is highlighted the color of operators (which also makes sense). Just thought it'd be better if the first . was highlighted as an operator also.
G_G's a silly boy.

ForeverZer0

I agree, and I didn't notice that. 

There are a few various bugs to still work out with the Lexer that I have noticed, as well as autocomplete.  One oddity is doing block comments.  The stream comment prefix is set to "=begin", but the second you put a single "=" sign against the left side, it goes into comment mode.  Scintilla is funky in how it doesn't like to perceive any symbol as party of the word.  I ran into a problem with that concerning the autocomplete, and trying to include global variables in it. It would ignore the symbol and drop the word in front of the already placed "$", hence I removed that.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

AngryPacman

August 24, 2011, 02:40:57 am #3 Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 02:51:30 am by AngryPacman
It also doesn't seem to like keywords after 'end'. I'll show you what I mean, this is from my menu script:
        begin
          @gold_window.update
          Graphics.update
        end until @gold_window.openness == 255
The end is highlighted as a keyword as per usual, but the until is treated as normal text.
I also suggest a default command for the styles configuration. XD

As it turns out, it doesn't do any keywords that aren't after an operator or the start of a line.
G_G's a silly boy.

ForeverZer0

Its looking for the "end" to be on its own line.  Multiple keywords work fine on the second line, so long as you are using them in a normal fashion.  The issue is not because they aren't working, its that they are being overridden by anothe configuration for a different data type.

For example,  "def self.method", the "self" wont't be blue, because it is being overridden by the style for coloring method names.  I can fix it so that the keywords will have a higher precedence though.

Spaceman McConaughey

Glad you like my download button. <3

Also, nice program. :3

*lvls up*

G_G

August 24, 2011, 08:26:25 am #6 Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 08:31:10 am by game_guy
This shit better get posted on DM F0 >:U

Nice job though! *steals download button back*

Also you'll have problems merging things. The IronRuby libraries are signed and won't work when merged into one .NET executable. I tried it with my Quick Fix: Item Price and then it kept popping up errors saying "It couldn't find IronRuby.dll". If you can get them merged please let me know how you did it.

EDIT!
Oh! Add an option to "Backup scripts" on run. Just for safety measures you know.

ForeverZer0

I like the back up scripts idea, I was playing with merging last night, and was getting some successful combinations, but couldn't get them all into one dll/exe.  If I figure it out, I'll let you know.  I've been using ILMerge, since {smartassembly} won't even let you try.

G_G

*moves to Development Tools*

By the way, small bug. Insert usually inserts a new script above the selected, in this case it adds it to the bottom of the list. Tsk tsk.

ForeverZer0

August 24, 2011, 09:14:15 pm #9 Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 02:15:34 am by ForeverZer0
All in good time.  

I actually forgot about that one, though.  I provided basic functionality just for adding a script to the list, then got side-tracked.  I never went back and added the line to tell it what index to insert at.  :P

There are 100 "bugs" in it still, which I am aware of most them.  Its still very incomplete, I only released a build that kinda showed what the whole thing was about. The main functionalities are all in place, now I need to go back and add some details, fix bugs, rearrange, etc., etc....  

EDIT:
I implemented a few more features, which I'll post an updated build tomorrow probably.

• Auto-Indent

• Custom Autocomplete list

• Fixed the "insert" method so it functions properly

• Status bar now shows line count, character count, and position

AngryPacman

Does the auto-indent move a tab back for 'when' statements? I hate having to manually do that, small as it may be.
G_G's a silly boy.

Blizzard

How about you work on the ARC Editor, F0? D:
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ForeverZer0

UPDATE:

I worked a bit more on the editor (the ARC one also...), and got an update.  Here's a quick run-down of this build from the last I uploaded:

• Everything I listed in my last post that I did

• Increased efficiency and memory usage by restructuring some classes around, will also load the scripts slightly faster

• Added a config for a current line highlighter

• Implemented Find/Replace functions for the scripts

• Implemented a "Goto Line" function

• Added hotkeys for pretty much everything

• Improved the auto-complete so its a little more intelligent, same with auto-indent

• Implemented a "Recently Opened" function for quickly re-opening projects

• Implemented the saving of configurations

I added the link to the original post, but here it is as well:

RGSS Editor (2.21 MB)

G_G

*remembers list of scripts to finish* I am so fucking using this!

ForeverZer0

There are still bugs too fix.  These are ones I know of and just haven't got to yet

• The few inconsistencies with syntax coloring that AngryPacman found

• If the Find/Replace is called with Ctrl + f or Ctrl + H, it will create multiple windows for each script that it is used in instead of re-using the already opened one

• I may tweak the auto-complete as well, I'm still not entirely satisfied with it.

G_G

Could you make it so the control key does the auto complete? I'll be typing up comments and be typing similar words, go to hit enter at the end of a line and it puts "Window_Base" out of nowhere. Or at least make the key somewhat configurable.

ForeverZer0

Yeah, that's no problem, I can do that.  I have an array for "no pop-up" characters for it, so that will be easy. Do you think it is a little too persistent?  I thought of making it so that it doesn't pop up until at least two characters are input, but wasn't sure who would want that or not.  I'll likely end up just adding another setting to be determined by the user for that. Anyways, the auto-complete is far from perfect. Before its done, I also planned to disable it for comments so it wouldn't always be popping up.

G_G

I think it should be a user defined setting. 2-3 characters usually suffices though. Having it disabled for comments would be awesome. :3 I really like the feel of the program. ARC better have this as the script editor.

ForeverZer0

Sadly, it uses .NET, which we can't have the editor rely on for ARC.

G_G

One more suggestion that I've always liked from Notepad++. Alpha bars on the bottom of the pop up windows. That was always nice.

Ryex

hey, F0. do you think that you could tackle the script editor control for ARC? you've already worked with the concepts here so I think you could do it faster than me.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

ForeverZer0

I'll give it a go.  I'm getting pretty familiar with ScintillaNET, which is just a wrapper for SciLexer, so hopefully it won't be to difficult to apply what I know to Python, though I admit I am still a little inexperienced with Python.

Ryex

there is a wxPython text control that uses scintilla it already highlights ruby ect. you can probably use that as a base.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

AngryPacman

The shortcut for Open brings up the Import Script selection.
G_G's a silly boy.

ForeverZer0

Here's some things I got done tonight (sorry, no new upload):

• Window size/location memory

• Character map can be called with a click for inserting Unicode characters

• Autocomplete has been disabled for comments

• Autocomplete drops words with Ctrl (Just for you, GG  <3

• Added configuration for minimum number of characters of current word before autocomplete enables

• Enhanced context menu for the script editor

• Fixed Find/Replace issue for opening multiple find windows

• Split the Find/Replace button into two separate buttons

• Added "Project Open" to main toolbar, as well as rename the original button to "Import"

• Fixed a bug that occurred when trying to remove multiple work groups from the autocomplete list at one time.  It would only work when a single group was chosen to remove

Here are some other ideas I have and/or started working on:

• Code analysis for quick syntax checking without need to run game or save (This is proving a bit problematic at the moment since the scripts are not ran from a file, it is difficult to get the proper stack trace for the Exception, though it is finding the errors)

• A "Surround With..." function for placing selected code within various blocks

• Found some various minor bugs with auto-indentation to work out

• Begin formulating a loose idea for a snippet manager. Actually shouldn't be too difficult

G_G

Snippet manager would be great. It'd be really awesome if some of the same features could get implemented into ARC. Speaking of which *walks away to start on editor* Anyways nice job F0.

LivingstoneIPresume

First of all, this is awesome. Second, I have a suggestion.
Would it be possible to highlight undefined methods? I always mispell or miscapitalize my methods, and it would be nice to know which ones don't exist. I don't know C# at all, so I have no idea how difficult this would be.

ForeverZer0

That's not really a matter of C#, but of Ruby.  That is pretty difficult to implement in a simple IDE created by an amateur.  You find that sort of a thing in Visual Studio and other large design programs.  It requires the data to be constantly scrutinized by the interpreter, catch the exceptions, determine what exactly the real issue is, and alert the user accordingly.  What makes this even harder in a scripted language is that the functions are not all defined ahead of time, but interpreted on the fly at runtime. This means the script would constantly be having to be "running" in the background, which it can't do for RPG Maker games, since there are a lot of classes defined by the game engine, that I won't be creating for this.

LivingstoneIPresume

I just meant that it would look for lines that start with 'def' and find all the methods after them, and then check that with a list of methods that you call.
For example, it would see this script:
Init.new
Run.new(45, 1, 3)
Gow.new(3, 6)
def Init
do stuff
end
def Run(x, y, z, a)
do stuff
end
def Go(x, y)
do stuff
end

And highlight the method "Gow" because it doesn't exist, along with maybe checking for the number of arguments after "Run" and highlighting that.
If this is what you were thinking, that's fine, but I feel like what you said was a bit more complicated.

ForeverZer0

The actual check is simple. Its a matter of the interpreter always running in the background checking for this, and keeping track of things. If were as simple as you just stated, I would have implemented it already.  Its not, though.  You need to have "live code" in order for this to work in any intelligent manner, and I'm not gonna attempt to implement that.

ForeverZer0

Woot, woot!  Just finished a "line normalize" function.  It structures your code according to Ruby conventions with the click of a single button. For example, say you have this script:

Spoiler: ShowHide
module Journal

# If true, a line height of 20 pixels will be used, which looks better with
# smaller font sizes.
SMALL_TEXT = true
# The width of the entry list used for Scene_Journal. The other windows will
# automatically adjust to this width.
LIST_WIDTH = 192

# Define what aspects of the journal you would like to use. Choose from the
# values listed below and add them to the array. DO NOT change the values.
# Omit values for types you do not want to use.
#        'People' - 'Places' - 'Weapons' - 'Armors' - 'Items'
LIST_ORDER = ['People', 'Places', 'Weapons', 'Armors', 'Items']

# Configure if you would like for items, weapons, and armors to be unlocked
# automatically when they are first aquired by the player. If using this
# options, IDs MUST match the IDs used in the Database. You will also need to
# manually add anything the player begins with at game start.
AUTO_WEAPONS = true
AUTO_ARMORS = true
AUTO_ITEMS = true

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CHARACTER_STATS = ['Name:', 'Race:', 'Age:', 'Height:', 'Weight:']

# Configure the values used for the above array for each character. Just make
# sure the value that corresponds to each stat is at the same index in the [].
# Just make sure that the first stat is the name, it will be used on the menu
# to select which character/location will be viewed.
def self.character_info(id)
info = case id
when 1 then ['Aluxes', 'Human', '19', '5\'10"', '165 lbs.']
when 2 then ['Hilda', 'Human', '20', '5\'5"', '113']
when 3 then ['Basil', 'Human', '24', '6\'0"', '187 lbs.']
end
return info != nil ? info : []
end

# Short paragraph/description of character. Uses Blizzard's slice_text method
# to automatically break to next line when needed, so do not concern yourself
# with that.
def self.character_bio(id)
text = case id
when 1
'Our everyday hero, that seems to make an appearance in every demo.'
when 2
'Random witch girl.'
when 3
'Another RPGXP character.'
end
return text != nil ? text : ''
end
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOCATION_STATS = ['Name:', 'Country:']

# Configure the values used for the above array for each location. Just make
def self.location_info(id)
info = case id
when 1 then ['New York', 'USA']
when 2 then ['Ohio', 'USA']
when 3 then ['Iowa', 'Who cares...']
end
end

# Short paragraph/description of location. Uses Blizzard's slice_text method
# with that.
def self.location_bio(id)
return case id
when 1
'The state north of Pennsylvania.'
when 2
'The state west of Pennsylvania.'
when 3
'A boring state.'
else
''
end
end
WEAPON_STATS = ['Name:', 'Origin:']

def self.weapon_info(id)
text = case id
when 1 then ['Bronze Sword', 'Everywhere.']
when 2 then ['Iron Sword', 'Right here.']
when 3 then ['Mythril Sword', 'Blah blah.']
end
end

def self.weapon_bio(id)
return case id
when 1
'Simple sword. Seems to be the standard that all RPG games have the hero start with.'
when 2
'Slighly better than the Bronze sword.'
when 3
'Yet another sword that is in almost every RPG.'
else
''
end
end
ARMOR_STATS = ['Name:', 'Origin:']

def self.armor_info(id)
text = case id
when 1 then ['', '']
when 2 then ['', '']
when 3 then ['', '']
end
end

def self.armor_bio(id)
return case id
when 1
''
when 2
''
when 3
''
else
''
end
end
ITEM_STATS = ['Name:', 'Origin:']

def self.item_info(id)
text = case id
when 1 then ['', '']
when 2 then ['', '']
when 3 then ['', '']
end
end

def self.item_bio(id)
return case id
when 1
''
when 2
''
when 3
''
else
''
end
end

# Set the following to true if you would loke pictures to be displayed for
# the respective type of Journal entries. They will be defined below.
CHARACTER_PIC = true
LOCATION_PIC = true
WEAPON_PIC = true
ARMOR_PIC = true
ITEM_PIC = true

# Filenames of character pictures.
def self.character_pic(id)
file = case id
when 1 then 'Aluxes'
when 2 then 'Hilda'
when 3 then 'Basil'
end
return file != nil ? RPG::Cache.picture("Journal/#{file}") : Bitmap.new(1,1)
end

# Filenames of location pictures.
def self.location_pic(id)
file = case id
when 1 then ''
when 2 then ''
when 3 then ''
end
end   

# Filename of weapon pictures.
def self.weapon_pic(id)
file = case id
when 1 then ''
when 2 then ''
when 3 then ''
end
end

def self.armor_pic(id)
file = case id
when 1 then ''
when 2 then ''
when 3 then ''
end
end

# Filenames of item pictures.
def self.item_pic(id)
file = case id
when 1 then ''
when 2 then ''
when 3 then ''
end
end

#=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
#                           END CONFIGURATION
#=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

def self.add_character(id)
unless $game_system.journal['People'].include?(id)
$game_system.journal['People'].push(id)
$game_system.journal['People'].sort!
end
end

def self.add_location(id)
unless $game_system.journal['Places'].include?(id)
$game_system.journal['Places'].push(id)
$game_system.journal['Places'].sort!
end
end

def self.add_weapon(id)
unless $game_system.journal['Weapons'].include?(id)
$game_system.journal['Weapons'].push(id)
$game_system.journal['Weapons'].sort!
end
end

def self.add_armor(id)
unless $game_system.journal['Armors'].include?(id)
$game_system.journal['Armors'].push(id)
$game_system.journal['Armors'].sort!
end
end

def self.add_item(id)
unless $game_system.journal['Items'].include?(id)
$game_system.journal['Items'].push(id)
$game_system.journal['Items'].sort!
end
end
end

#===============================================================================
# ** Game_System
#===============================================================================

class Game_System

attr_accessor :journal

alias zer0_journal_init initialize
def initialize
zer0_journal_init
@journal = {}
Journal::LIST_ORDER.each {|key| @journal[key] = [] }
end

def journal_entries(type)
entries = []
case type
when 'People'
@journal[type].each {|id| entries.push(Journal.character_info(id)[0]) }
when 'Places'
@journal[type].each {|id| entries.push(Journal.location_info(id)[0]) }
when 'Weapons'
@journal[type].each {|id| entries.push(Journal.weapon_info(id)[0]) }
when 'Armors'
@journal[type].each {|id| entries.push(Journal.armor_info(id)[0]) }
when 'Items'
@journal[type].each {|id| entries.push(Journal.item_info(id)[0]) }
end
return entries.empty? ? ['None'] : entries
end
end

# ** Game_Party

class Game_Party

alias zer0_auto_add_weapon gain_weapon
def gain_weapon(weapon_id, n)
# Unlock weapon ID if recieved.
if Journal::AUTO_WEAPONS& ![nil, 0].include?(weapon_id)
Journal.add_weapon(weapon_id)
end
zer0_auto_add_weapon(weapon_id, n)
end

alias zer0_auto_add_armor gain_armor
def gain_armor(armor_id, n)
# Unlock armor ID if recieved.
if Journal::AUTO_ARMORS && ![nil, 0].include?(armor_id)
Journal.add_armor(armor_id)
end
zer0_auto_add_armor(armor_id, n)
end

alias zer0_auto_add_item gain_item
def gain_item(item_id, n)
# Unlock item ID if recieved.
if Journal::AUTO_ITEMS && ![nil, 0].include?(item_id)
Journal.add_item(item_id)
end
zer0_auto_add_item(item_id, n)
end
end

# ** Bitmap (slice_text method by Blizzard)

class Bitmap

def slice_text(text, width)
words = text.split(' ')
return words if words.size == 1
result, current_text = [], words.shift
words.each_index {|i|
if self.text_size("#{current_text} #{words[i]}").width > width
result.push(current_text)
current_text = words[i]
else
current_text = "#{current_text} #{words[i]}"
end
result.push(current_text) if i >= words.size - 1}
return result
end
end

# ** Window_Journal

class Window_Journal < Window_Base

attr_accessor :type

def initialize
super(Journal::LIST_WIDTH, 0, 640 - Journal::LIST_WIDTH, 480)
self.contents = Bitmap.new(width - 32, height - 32)
self.visible = false
@type = ''
end

def id=(id)
@id = id
refresh
end

def refresh
self.contents.clear
return if @id == nil
# Set local variables, branching by what type is being viewed.
case @type
when 'People'
stats = Journal::CHARACTER_STATS
info = Journal.character_info(@id)
bio = Journal.character_bio(@id)
pic = Journal::CHARACTER_PIC ? Journal.character_pic(@id) : nil
when 'Places'
stats = Journal::LOCATION_STATS
info = Journal.location_info(@id)
bio = Journal.location_bio(@id)
pic = Journal::LOCATION_PIC ? Journal.location_pic(@id) : nil
when 'Weapons'
stats = Journal::WEAPON_STATS
info = Journal.weapon_info(@id)
bio = Journal.weapon_bio(@id)
pic = Journal::WEAPON_PIC ? Journal.weapon_pic(@id) : nil
when 'Armors'
stats = Journal::ARMOR_STATS
info = Journal.armor_info(@id)
bio = Journal.armor_bio(@id)
pic = Journal::ARMOR_PIC ? Journal.armor_pic(@id) : nil
when 'Items'
stats = Journal::ITEM_STATS
info = Journal.item_info(@id)
bio = Journal.item_bio(@id)
pic = Journal::ITEM_PIC ? Journal.item_pic(@id) : nil
end
width = 640 - Journal::LIST_WIDTH - 40
bio = self.contents.slice_text(bio, width)
if pic != nil
rect = Rect.new(0, 0, pic.width, pic.height)
self.contents.blt(self.width-pic.width-64, 32, pic, rect)
end
# Draw the values on the window's bitmap.
self.contents.font.color = system_color
y = Journal::SMALL_TEXT ? 20 : 32
stats.each_index {|i| self.contents.draw_text(0, i*(y*2), 128, y, stats[i])}
self.contents.draw_text(0, 320, 128, y, 'Description:')
self.contents.font.color = normal_color
info.each_index {|i| self.contents.draw_text(8, y+i*(y*2), 128, y, info[i])}
bio.each_index {|i| self.contents.draw_text(8, (320+y)+i*y, width, y, bio[i])} 
end
end

# ** Scene_Journal

class Scene_Journal
def main
# Create lists of the entries for each Journal content type.
@entry_lists, @index = [], 0
# Create list of entry titles.
Journal::LIST_ORDER.each {|key|
next unless $game_system.journal.has_key?(key)
window = Window_Command.new(Journal::LIST_WIDTH, $game_system.journal_entries(key))
window.visible = window.active = false
window.height = 480
@entry_lists.push(window)
}
# Create main command window.
@command_window = Window_Command.new(Journal::LIST_WIDTH, Journal::LIST_ORDER)
@command_window.height = 480
# Create main window for viewing information and dummy window.
@dummy_window = Window_Base.new(Journal::LIST_WIDTH, 0, 640 - Journal::LIST_WIDTH, 480)
@journal_window = Window_Journal.new
@windows = @entry_lists + [@journal_window, @command_window, @dummy_window]
# Transition and start main loop for the scene.
Graphics.transition
loop {Graphics.update; Input.update; update; break if $scene != self}
# Dispose all windows and prepare for transition.
Graphics.freeze
@windows.each {|window| window.dispose}
end
def update
# Update all the windows.
@windows.each {|window| window.update }
# Branch update method depending on what window is active.
@command_window.active ? update_command : update_entry_selection
end
def update_command
if Input.trigger?(Input::B)
$game_system.se_play($data_system.cancel_se)
$scene = Scene_Map.new
elsif Input.trigger?(Input::C)
# Deactivate command window and make selected entry list active.
@index = @command_window.index
@command_window.active = @command_window.visible = false
@entry_lists[@index].active = @entry_lists[@index].visible = true
end
end
def update_entry_selection
# Deactivate entry list and make command window active.
@command_window.active = @command_window.visible = true
@entry_lists[@index].active = @entry_lists[@index].visible = false
@journal_window.visible = false
@journal_window.visible = true
$game_system.se_play($data_system.decision_se)
type = Journal::LIST_ORDER[@index]
# Set the type and id variables for the journal window and refresh.
@journal_window.type = type
@journal_window.id = $game_system.journal[type][@entry_lists[@index].index]
end
end
end

You then click the button, and the script converts to this:
Spoiler: ShowHide
#+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
# Journal
# Author: ForeverZer0
# Version: 2.3
# Data: 12.30.2010
#+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
#
# Introduction:
#   I wrote this script after seeing a request here on CP for something similar.
#   It basically just allows the player to view a Journal that show the player
#   information about people they have encountered and places they have visited.
#   Can also log weapons, armors, and items.
#   
# Features:
#   - Easy to use/configure
#   - Nice simple interface
#   - Will log people, places, weapons, armors, and items seperately
#   - Configurable what type of entries you would like to log.
#   - Configurable layout
#   - Option to use pictures
#   - Fully compatible "stats" you want the system to display.
#
# Instructions:
#   - Place script in the usual place.
#   - All configuration is below, and explained in each section.
#   - All pictures must be in folder labeled "Journal" within your game's
#     Picture folder.
#   - All you have to do is assign arbitrary "ids" to each person and location
#     respectively. After you have completed configuration, when you want the
#     person/place to be added to the Journal, use these script calls:
#
#       Journal.add_character(ID)
#       Journal.add_location(ID)
#       Journal.add_weapon(ID)
#       Journal.add_armor(ID)
#       Journal.add_item(ID)
#
#     Where the "ID" is the number you assigned to each.
#   - To call the scene, use this script call:
#
#       $scene = Scene_Journal.new
#
#   - The script comes with a fix for those who like to use smaller text sizes
#     (like myself), which will allow for more information to be displayed on
#     the screen at once.
#   - If you would like to change the look up a little bit, just change around
#     the X and Y values in Window_Journal.
#
# Credits/Thanks:
#   - ForeverZer0, for the script.
#
#                           BEGIN CONFIGURATION

module Journal

# If true, a line height of 20 pixels will be used, which looks better with
  # smaller font sizes.
  SMALL_TEXT = true
  # The width of the entry list used for Scene_Journal. The other windows will
  # automatically adjust to this width.
  LIST_WIDTH = 192

# Define what aspects of the journal you would like to use. Choose from the
  # values listed below and add them to the array. DO NOT change the values.
  # Omit values for types you do not want to use.
  #        'People' - 'Places' - 'Weapons' - 'Armors' - 'Items'
  LIST_ORDER = ['People', 'Places', 'Weapons', 'Armors', 'Items']

# Configure if you would like for items, weapons, and armors to be unlocked
  # automatically when they are first aquired by the player. If using this
  # options, IDs MUST match the IDs used in the Database. You will also need to
  # manually add anything the player begins with at game start.
  AUTO_WEAPONS = true
  AUTO_ARMORS = true
  AUTO_ITEMS = true

CHARACTER_STATS = ['Name:', 'Race:', 'Age:', 'Height:', 'Weight:']

# Configure the values used for the above array for each character. Just make
  def self.character_info(id)
    info = case id
    when 1 then ['Aluxes', 'Human', '19', '5\'10"', '165 lbs.']
    when 2 then ['Hilda', 'Human', '20', '5\'5"', '113']
    when 3 then ['Basil', 'Human', '24', '6\'0"', '187 lbs.']
    end
  end

# Short paragraph/description of character. Uses Blizzard's slice_text method
  # with that.
  def self.character_bio(id)
    text = case id
    when 1
      'Our everyday hero, that seems to make an appearance in every demo.'
    when 2
      'Random witch girl.'
    when 3
      'Another RPGXP character.'
    end
    return text != nil ? text : ''
  end
  LOCATION_STATS = ['Name:', 'Country:']

# Configure the values used for the above array for each location. Just make
  def self.location_info(id)
    info = case id
    when 1 then ['New York', 'USA']
    when 2 then ['Ohio', 'USA']
    when 3 then ['Iowa', 'Who cares...']
    end
  end

# Short paragraph/description of location. Uses Blizzard's slice_text method
  # with that.
  def self.location_bio(id)
    return case id
    when 1
      'The state north of Pennsylvania.'
    when 2
      'The state west of Pennsylvania.'
    when 3
      'A boring state.'
    else
      ''
    end
  end
  WEAPON_STATS = ['Name:', 'Origin:']

def self.weapon_info(id)
    text = case id
    when 1 then ['Bronze Sword', 'Everywhere.']
    when 2 then ['Iron Sword', 'Right here.']
    when 3 then ['Mythril Sword', 'Blah blah.']
    end
  end

def self.weapon_bio(id)
    return case id
    when 1
      'Simple sword. Seems to be the standard that all RPG games have the hero start with.'
    when 2
      'Slighly better than the Bronze sword.'
    when 3
      'Yet another sword that is in almost every RPG.'
    else
      ''
    end
  end
  ARMOR_STATS = ['Name:', 'Origin:']

def self.armor_info(id)
    text = case id
    when 1 then ['', '']
    when 2 then ['', '']
    when 3 then ['', '']
    end
  end

def self.armor_bio(id)
    return case id
    when 1
      ''
    when 2
      ''
    when 3
      ''
    else
      ''
    end
  end
  ITEM_STATS = ['Name:', 'Origin:']

def self.item_info(id)
    text = case id
    when 1 then ['', '']
    when 2 then ['', '']
    when 3 then ['', '']
    end
  end

def self.item_bio(id)
    return case id
    when 1
      ''
    when 2
      ''
    when 3
      ''
    else
      ''
    end
  end

# Set the following to true if you would loke pictures to be displayed for
  # the respective type of Journal entries. They will be defined below.
  CHARACTER_PIC = true
  LOCATION_PIC = true
  WEAPON_PIC = true
  ARMOR_PIC = true
  ITEM_PIC = true

# Filenames of character pictures.
  def self.character_pic(id)
    file = case id
    when 1 then 'Aluxes'
    when 2 then 'Hilda'
    when 3 then 'Basil'
    end
  end

# Filenames of location pictures.
  def self.location_pic(id)
    file = case id
    when 1 then ''
    when 2 then ''
    when 3 then ''
    end
  end   

def self.weapon_pic(id)
    file = case id
    when 1 then ''
    when 2 then ''
    when 3 then ''
    end
  end

def self.armor_pic(id)
    file = case id
    when 1 then ''
    when 2 then ''
    when 3 then ''
    end
  end

# Filenames of item pictures.
  def self.item_pic(id)
    file = case id
    when 1 then ''
    when 2 then ''
    when 3 then ''
    end
  end

#                           END CONFIGURATION

def self.add_character(id)
    unless $game_system.journal['People'].include?(id)
      $game_system.journal['People'].push(id)
      $game_system.journal['People'].sort!
    end
  end

def self.add_location(id)
    unless $game_system.journal['Places'].include?(id)
      $game_system.journal['Places'].push(id)
      $game_system.journal['Places'].sort!
    end
  end

def self.add_weapon(id)
    unless $game_system.journal['Weapons'].include?(id)
      $game_system.journal['Weapons'].push(id)
      $game_system.journal['Weapons'].sort!
    end
  end

def self.add_armor(id)
    unless $game_system.journal['Armors'].include?(id)
      $game_system.journal['Armors'].push(id)
      $game_system.journal['Armors'].sort!
    end
  end

def self.add_item(id)
    unless $game_system.journal['Items'].include?(id)
      $game_system.journal['Items'].push(id)
      $game_system.journal['Items'].sort!
    end
  end
end

# ** Game_System

class Game_System

attr_accessor :journal

alias zer0_journal_init initialize
  def initialize
    zer0_journal_init
    @journal = {}
    Journal::LIST_ORDER.each {|key| @journal[key] = [] }
  end

def journal_entries(type)
    entries = []
    case type
    when 'People'
      @journal[type].each {|id| entries.push(Journal.character_info(id)[0]) }
    when 'Places'
      @journal[type].each {|id| entries.push(Journal.location_info(id)[0]) }
    when 'Weapons'
      @journal[type].each {|id| entries.push(Journal.weapon_info(id)[0]) }
    when 'Armors'
      @journal[type].each {|id| entries.push(Journal.armor_info(id)[0]) }
    when 'Items'
      @journal[type].each {|id| entries.push(Journal.item_info(id)[0]) }
    end
    return entries.empty? ? ['None'] : entries
  end
end

# ** Game_Party

class Game_Party

alias zer0_auto_add_weapon gain_weapon
  def gain_weapon(weapon_id, n)
    # Unlock weapon ID if recieved.
    if Journal::AUTO_WEAPONS& ![nil, 0].include?(weapon_id)
      Journal.add_weapon(weapon_id)
    end
    zer0_auto_add_weapon(weapon_id, n)
  end

alias zer0_auto_add_armor gain_armor
  def gain_armor(armor_id, n)
    # Unlock armor ID if recieved.
    if Journal::AUTO_ARMORS && ![nil, 0].include?(armor_id)
      Journal.add_armor(armor_id)
    end
    zer0_auto_add_armor(armor_id, n)
  end

alias zer0_auto_add_item gain_item
  def gain_item(item_id, n)
    # Unlock item ID if recieved.
     if Journal::AUTO_ITEMS && ![nil, 0].include?(item_id)
      Journal.add_item(item_id)
    end
    zer0_auto_add_item(item_id, n)
  end
end

# ** Bitmap (slice_text method by Blizzard)

class Bitmap

def slice_text(text, width)
    words = text.split(' ')
    return words if words.size == 1
    result, current_text = [], words.shift
    words.each_index {|i|
    if self.text_size("#{current_text} #{words[i]}").width > width
      result.push(current_text)
      current_text = words[i]
    else
      current_text = "#{current_text} #{words[i]}"
    end
    result.push(current_text) if i >= words.size - 1}
    return result
  end
end

# ** Window_Journal

class Window_Journal < Window_Base

attr_accessor :type

def initialize
    super(Journal::LIST_WIDTH, 0, 640 - Journal::LIST_WIDTH, 480)
    self.contents = Bitmap.new(width - 32, height - 32)
    self.visible = false
    @type = ''
  end

def id=(id)
    @id = id
    refresh
  end

def refresh
    self.contents.clear
    return if @id == nil
    # Set local variables, branching by what type is being viewed.
    case @type
    when 'People'
      stats = Journal::CHARACTER_STATS
      info = Journal.character_info(@id)
      bio = Journal.character_bio(@id)
      pic = Journal::CHARACTER_PIC ? Journal.character_pic(@id) : nil
    when 'Places'
      stats = Journal::LOCATION_STATS
      info = Journal.location_info(@id)
      bio = Journal.location_bio(@id)
      pic = Journal::LOCATION_PIC ? Journal.location_pic(@id) : nil
    when 'Weapons'
      stats = Journal::WEAPON_STATS
      info = Journal.weapon_info(@id)
      bio = Journal.weapon_bio(@id)
      pic = Journal::WEAPON_PIC ? Journal.weapon_pic(@id) : nil
    when 'Armors'
      stats = Journal::ARMOR_STATS
      info = Journal.armor_info(@id)
      bio = Journal.armor_bio(@id)
      pic = Journal::ARMOR_PIC ? Journal.armor_pic(@id) : nil
    when 'Items'
      stats = Journal::ITEM_STATS
      info = Journal.item_info(@id)
      bio = Journal.item_bio(@id)
      pic = Journal::ITEM_PIC ? Journal.item_pic(@id) : nil
    end
    width = 640 - Journal::LIST_WIDTH - 40
    bio = self.contents.slice_text(bio, width)
    if pic != nil
      rect = Rect.new(0, 0, pic.width, pic.height)
      self.contents.blt(self.width-pic.width-64, 32, pic, rect)
    end
    # Draw the values on the window's bitmap.
    self.contents.font.color = system_color
    y = Journal::SMALL_TEXT ? 20 : 32
    stats.each_index {|i| self.contents.draw_text(0, i*(y*2), 128, y, stats[i])}
    self.contents.draw_text(0, 320, 128, y, 'Description:')
    self.contents.font.color = normal_color
    info.each_index {|i| self.contents.draw_text(8, y+i*(y*2), 128, y, info[i])}
    bio.each_index {|i| self.contents.draw_text(8, (320+y)+i*y, width, y, bio[i])} 
  end
end

# ** Scene_Journal

class Scene_Journal
  def main
    # Create lists of the entries for each Journal content type.
    @entry_lists, @index = [], 0
    # Create list of entry titles.
    Journal::LIST_ORDER.each {|key|
      next unless $game_system.journal.has_key?(key)
      window = Window_Command.new(Journal::LIST_WIDTH, $game_system.journal_entries(key))
      window.visible = window.active = false
      window.height = 480
      @entry_lists.push(window)
    }
    # Create main command window.
    @command_window = Window_Command.new(Journal::LIST_WIDTH, Journal::LIST_ORDER)
    @command_window.height = 480
    # Create main window for viewing information and dummy window.
    @dummy_window = Window_Base.new(Journal::LIST_WIDTH, 0, 640 - Journal::LIST_WIDTH, 480)
    @journal_window = Window_Journal.new
    @windows = @entry_lists + [@journal_window, @command_window, @dummy_window]
    # Transition and start main loop for the scene.
    Graphics.transition
    loop {Graphics.update; Input.update; update; break if $scene != self}
    # Dispose all windows and prepare for transition.
    Graphics.freeze
    @windows.each {|window| window.dispose}
  end
  def update
    # Update all the windows.
    @windows.each {|window| window.update }
    # Branch update method depending on what window is active.
    @command_window.active ? update_command : update_entry_selection
  end
  def update_command
      $scene = Scene_Map.new
      # Deactivate command window and make selected entry list active.
      @index = @command_window.index
      @command_window.active = @command_window.visible = false
      @entry_lists[@index].active = @entry_lists[@index].visible = true
    end
  end
  def update_entry_selection
      # Deactivate entry list and make command window active.
      @command_window.active = @command_window.visible = true
      @entry_lists[@index].active = @entry_lists[@index].visible = false
      @journal_window.visible = false
      @journal_window.visible = true
      $game_system.se_play($data_system.decision_se)
      type = Journal::LIST_ORDER[@index]
      # Set the type and id variables for the journal window and refresh.
      @journal_window.type = type
      @journal_window.id = $game_system.journal[type][@entry_lists[@index].index]
    end
  end
end

G_G

ForeverZer0

Alrighty, the newest build is uploaded, check the original link in the first post.  I still need to prettify it with better icons for the toolbar and application, but it is nearing completion right now. The auto-indent is has been improved a lot for this build.  I think I am finally about happy with it.  I still may attempt the "code analysis" feature for syntax checking.  It may get scrapped depending on the amount of pain in the ass it turns into considering it is only saving the user a second by not play-testing, although it would allow for it to be tested without saving first...