I may be becoming a sys admin.

Started by Ryex, August 25, 2011, 06:32:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

My church has had all their computers set up by one guy, he works as a sys admin for a local credit card payment company they have several people in his position I sure.

any way, I don;t know anything compared to this guy but compared to the rest of the people in my church I'm by far the most knowledgeable  when it comes to computers and net works. Turns out the guy who set up their systems is far to busy to do keep their systems running ect. so thinking it would be good experience I volunteered to help out in my free time.

in hind sight I may of just stepped off the edge of a cliff...
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

ForeverZer0

I think it will be a wonderful learning experience, and without the pressure of a career where the outcome of failure has severe repercussions.  Who knows, maybe after you learn the ropes and get a little experience under your belt with it, you can use what you learned for actual cash-money.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Ryex

Oh I know that I will learn a lot. that happens every time I jump of a cliff. I kinda have to learn to fly pretty darn fast in order to not go *splat* but that doesn't mean the experience is enjoyable.

but the vast knowledge gap between me and the people using the computers and me and the guy who set them up makes me skeptical as to the state of their systems. the stuff they want me to do is pretty simple. set up new computers, install quick books and transfer their financial information form their dinosaur of a pentium 4 over to their new computer. maintenance their other computers; install updates, defrag their computers, get their users accounts and passwords uniform across their systems. get it so them can access their server and set up new email accounts ect.

all simple stuff. but at the same time a lot can go wrong, I'm worried I might of just dug my self a hole without making sure the sides didn't cave in.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

I think you'll be fine in the end. Sure, it will probably be a bit frustrating at times, but that usually only happens with old PCs.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

That's just it. all their computers are old enough that they still have the "Pentium inside" sticker and not the ones with the new design either.