My Computer Illiterate School

Started by G_G, September 08, 2011, 11:35:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

G_G

To be honest, not trying to sound cocky, but I think I'm one of the smartest people there when it comes to computers. People make up the stupidest shit about computers to make themselves look cool or whatever. The lies these guys make up are just so funny sometimes. Then when I basically make them look like an ass in front of everyone by proving that they just lied, they scuff me off and act like I'm the dumbass. Even my friends who know I'm a computer expert, still try to lie about crap and act all cool. Its rediculous.

So here I am telling a friend that I'm downloading 11GB of trance music.
"Dude, thats not that much, I have like over 200GB of music."
I highly doubt that, I was on this laptop about a week ago and it only has 300GB of space. I highly doubt 2/3rds is music. I tried explaining to him that its really not likely he has that much music and I tried explaining to him how many songs that actually is. He just acted like I didn't know crap.

Then I hear these stupid lies about having to "downgrade"? the internet to play a game. Today, this kid was talking about trying to play Daggerfall and this is roughly what he said.
"My computers so powerful, I had to downgrade my internet just so it'd let me play it."
I just facepalmed, and walked away. I wasn't even going to try and explain to him how wrong he is.

I mean I know theres a lot of people know don't know about computers. I don't give them crap about it, I don't expect them to understand what I do. But when dumb people like this come along, its just so hard not to judge them. Its just amazing how stupid people can be. Then again what can you do about it? I'll add more stupid quotes as they happen. I'm losing faith in mankind.

ForeverZer0

I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

KK20

@above and
QuoteThe thing that I just don't understand in this world I am now, or rather yet my country, is that whenever you'll explain this illiterate people on computers about it
Irony sucks.  :V:

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Ryex

but it says right there that 128 are enough with is 1/4 of 512. he's right.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am #4 Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 02:30:32 am by Blizzard
The permanent solution for your problem would to stop hanging out with stupid people. Other than I can only suggest you have some fun with it. Be a bit nasty, make them feel stupid for trying to show off. When somebody says something like "Duh, I have 200 GB of music." you just tell them "You're a dumbass liar. There's not even that much music in existence." They don't know what you are saying is the truth or not. Say it with a slightly sarcastic voice and have fun watching them snap. Or take the joke to the next level so you make them look stupid enough for them to realize that they are being stupid. "My computer's so powerful, I had to downgrade." "That's too bad! I have this totally cool program that requires a powerful PC to run, but now that you downgraded your PC, it's too weak. The game must've been totally fun, though. Did you know that after downgrading your PC, you can't upgrade it again? Your PC will stay weak forever. You can only fix it if you format your hard drive and reinstall Windows. Why did you do that anyway?" Say that in a totally serious voice. This will freak them out. Convince them with some bullshit logic, scare them a bit, troll them. They are the ones who are being dumb and trying to act cool. If it annoys you, have some fun with it. And if they are even stupid enough to believe you, they deserve to get their HDD wiped. Or just plain insult them after them say something stupid. "You're an idiot." works just fine.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Zeriab

You could try to teach them. Of course it may not be very satisfying, but there is definitely something you can do if you really want.
As for 200 GB music, yes, that is definitely possible. You have already concluded the guy is a computer illiterate yet you still assume he knows to store music at an sensible bitrate. What if it was uncompressed?
Also, getting 200 GB of music properly compressed is not particular outrageous. Particular if you are a hi-fi nerd and only use loss-less compression.
If you are talking about the 200 GB sound for theaters then it may only be 6-7 hours.

@Blizz: Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

P.s. sometimes games do run fine on machines which does not meet the minimum requirements.

*hugs*

Blizzard

I'm sure he meant 200 GB of mp3s. :P I know it's possible, but it's highly unlikely. The music freaks I know barely have that much.
And yeah, turbo buttons. #_#

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

While I completely agree Zeriab, my friend is one of those people who need to be the best in everything. Even though he's clearly not. Though he's still an awesome friend, just stupid. @Blizz: Well the second scenario wasn't my fault. I was grouped up with someone during English class. It just happened to be one of the stupidest people there.

Zeriab

I remember plenty users having 200 GB+ music back when I played around with DC++
Those people didn't seem to stick to one genre, but rather just got as much as they possible could.

@game_guy: In that case tease him as much as possible  :evil:

Subsonic_Noise

200GB of music... -___- If that's true, he's even more of an idiot in my opinion. So let's hope he was bullshitting you.

Blizzard

I mean the 11 GB I am seeding currently are over 200 hours of music (most of which is 128 kbps, very few tracks are above). 200 GB would be like 4000 hours.

AliveDrive

I remember highschool, and college, and basically every job I've ever had.

People tend to think I'm a little on the dumb side. Because I want them too.

It makes things easier, but mostly it just keeps things entertaining ^.^

I guess my advice would be to ignore them, but I know that sometimes that's not possible.
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

SBR*

I don't really know anything about this whole memory business, and perhaps I sometimes like to act as if I do know at least something about it, but I never actually say untrue things. But seriously, isn't 300GB of total memory very little? I mean: very very little?

Blizzard

We're not talking about memory in general, we're talking about an actual music collection. As I already said, 100 GB equals about 2000 hours of music. This is over 3 months of listening 24/7. Even if you listen to all kinds of music, this is extreme. I've known people with collections of 50 GB, but they stopped somewhere around that number. Usually they have a bunch of songs they never listen to and their collection grows very slowly as they don't add every new song in there. Often there are even lots of copies around. Mostly these kind of collections just come together from mindless copying of all songs that somebody else has and that's that.

Zeriab

I have seen people having the same music several places.
You know, stuff like iTunes making copies of all your music. (The worst part of having an iThing is the requirement to use iTunes, how could they make something so horrible...)
Windows Media Player also making copies (before win7)
People actually copying music rather than moving it to put it all in a single folder structure. (Yes, I have actually seen this :facepalm:)

You wouldn't normally reach 200 gigs even with that stuff. The people I know who have 200+ gigs are people who download discographies of bands when they want to listen to a number or two. You know, just in case you want to listen to more of them.

*hugs*

P.s. I have worked on a computer which had 96 GB memory. I never were even remotely close to use that much

hurricane

I have 61 GB of mp3's on my computer. That is 12,000 songs. If I had downloaded these songs from itunes, it would have cost $12,000. I listen regularly to about 2,000 of them. I usually get full albums and then add my favorites to the list that I listen to all the time. Ask him how many songs he has. I haven't downloaded anything in ages, so if I never delete anything and start downloading again, I guess I could get up to 200 GB's. I have the ipod with the highest capacity because I didn't want to run out of room, but it is only half full. If you set up itunes correctly, it won't make its own copies of your music.
I was a computer programmer and systems designer for many years back when the word gigabyte hadn't been invented. Back then, when you wrote a program, the most important thing was to make it use the least amount of memory and storage as possible.
That guy said he had to downgrade the internet, not his computer, not his operating system, to play the game. Huh? What does that even mean? Dropping back to firefox 3 from firefox 7?
When I first got cable internet, they send people to your house to install it. I had set up a custom network connecting my house's computers. They had never seen such a thing, so I had to show them how to do the installation I was paying them for. Actually before I set up the network, I had asked for advice about it from "experts" and everyone said it couldn't be done, but of course, it worked so they were wrong.
But you should be happy that everyone isn't a computer expert. If that were the case, there wouldn't be any jobs for people who really know computers.
For those who don't know, including SBR: there is a difference between memory and disk space: disk space is where you store all your files, like your music, programs, documents, etc. Memory is what your computer uses while it is running programs. Look at task manager when you are running programs - you can see how much memory is being used at the time. And 300 gigs of memory is a huge amount. Does anyone have that much memory on a PC? Right now, I am running a bunch of things, and my computer is using less than 3 GB.
My disk space, however, is 2 TB, which is 2048 GB.

Blizzard

September 13, 2011, 02:56:05 pm #16 Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 02:57:47 pm by Blizzard
That's great. I have almost 2500 songs and I listen to half of them regularly. You must like the vast variety just like I do.

Love the rest of your post, lol! I turned off a superfetch and prefetch partially so when I turn on my laptop, it uses about 1.2GB only. I really have to turn on a lot of things (one of them being Opera because it likes to cache) in order to exceed 3 GB. If I don't have Opera open, there's almost no way that with my normal usage I can get over 3 GB filled up, even with several instances of VC++ Express, FL Studio, Notepad++ and a couple of documents, uTorrent, Trillian, Media Player and several other utility program like antivirus, etc. (except if I intentionally try to).

G_G

A fail by one of my friends. It was last Friday he recently discovered MS Office 2010.

ForeverZer0

I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Fantasist

@G_G: Happens to me many times with virus issues. Many friends and guys at internet hubs accuse me of a virus-infested pendrive. Whenever I plug it in their PCs, their "anti-virus" program pops up with warnings, and they go crazy on me. When I try to tell them the viruses creeped onto my drive from THEIR PC, they just won't believe it. And I can say my drive is clean, because the viruses on their computers are real trouble makers and VERY noticeable, like Sality. If I bought infection from my PC, why don't I have a million New Folder.exe files everywhere on my PC? But I can see those in every folder on their PC though. But they just won't listen.

My solution to dealing with those people, just let it slide. It's too much of a trouble to try and explain, especially if you're a bit mild like I am. If they get so annoying that you can't stand it, your subconscious force you to automatically burst out a very good retort, you won't even have to think. Or, if you're high in spirit, just do what Blizzard says. In fact, I should try it sometime.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews