U NO MC PRE 1.8?!

Started by SBR*, September 10, 2011, 10:27:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SBR*

*looks through shoutbox*
*looks at Videogames board*

Wow, I guess the news hasn't reached CP yet. MC 1.8 (the famous adventure update part 1) has been leaked. It'll be officially released monday, but they (un)deliberately made a test version of it download-able on their website. Captain Sparklez provided this link: http://bit.ly/rj1FMk, promising it would'nt contain a virus. I haven't check THAT link (I used the official download on MC.net, but I can't remember the URL), but it's Captain Sparklez, so it'll probably be ok.

P.S. I'm sorry if there's a thread about this already. I probably overlooked it.

Twb6543

I got it on friday when Mojang started to host it on their website, It's quite buggy at the moment through.

Mojang pre-released it for testing.

So far I have only seen 1 new biome and just about all the items (TMI got patched for the pre-release).

Haven't seen any of the new mobs (also watch out for the stone block without a name(it breaks easily with your hand), it releases silverfish but I currently haven't found any).

Minecraft 1.8 Pre-Release Patch Notes

Taken from MinecraftForums.net: ShowHide

Quote- Biomes are MUCH larger and uniform than before

-Swamp biome was added to the list of existing biomes - look for vines on trees!

- Vines
Can be collected with shears, in the manner of leaf blocks. Vines will grow on any surface they are placed on

- Beef and Chicken added

- Strongholds - spawn once per world

- Ruins (basically strongholds on the ground)

- Giant mushrooms (Do not generate yet)

- Silverfish

- Creative mode
Allows flying, insta-break, unlimited items from an item palette, no damage, and more

- Abandoned mine shafts

- Endermen
Normally passive, these night-spawning mobs will teleport to (and attack) you if you look directly at them. When defeated, they can drop Ender Pearls, which presently do nothing

- Bow charging
Variable damage with charge, can also land critical hits. Additionally, attacks can crit if you hit a player or mob when descending from a jump

- Sprinting
Run faster, knock mobs back that are hit during a sprint - appears to deplete the hunger bar faster

- New high-quality Main Menu

- Chest animation (lids open, close)

- Player list on SMP; Server listings

- Setting gamemode on SMP "/gamemode username 0/1", 1 being Creative and 0 being Survival

- Hunger
Depletes slowly over time, can be filled by eating food. At 9 more more bars, you will regenerate health slowly.

- Eating animation

- Arrows stick to mobs

- Xp bar (Gain xp from killing mobs and other players)

- New lighting engine (Colored lights, smoother lighting)

- Clouds are now at the ceiling of the world

- Cave spiders

- Zombies drop rotten flesh, which can be consumed

- Watermelons (as well as watermelon and pumpkin seeds)

- Glass panes
These can be crafted at a crafting table by making a 3x2 grid of Glass Blocks - makes 16 panes. These panes can be placed in lines, corners and crosses, and they will adjoin with the nearest adjacent block.

- Iron Bars
Created by making a 3x2 grid of iron ingots at a crafting table. Can be placed in the same manner as glass panes

- Brick, Stone Brick stairs

- Smooth stone brick
Can be crafted by placing Stone in a 2x2 grid, makes 4 Stone Bricks

- F6 & F7 Adjust the time of day when pressed/held

If you put a million monkeys at a million keyboards, one of them will eventually write a Java program.
The rest of them will write Perl programs.

SBR*

I've been exploring in Creative: the ravines and mineshafts are absolutely awesome, although the shafts may sometimes be glitchy for they have no roof, ceiling nor walls.

AngryPacman

I do not understand the fuss about Minecraft. It's a sandbox game with no objective and horrendous 'hipster' graphics. The concept of the game isn't what gets me the most; it's the fandom. And this topic proves that point completely.
Using an example, Achron - a game being developed as the first meta-RTS game (that is, time traveling) - and comparing it to Minecraft, we can see the headache-inducing non-shutupiness of most Minecraft addicts, or as they affectionately call themselves, 'fans'. Achron Beta was released a couple of months ago, I didn't see any topic. A game with actual storyline, objective, graphics, NEW gameplay ideas and an innovative new genre being implemented gets boosted up a peg on its development, and nobody takes notice.
But Minecraft, the aforementioned recycled pointless sandbox waste of time, receives an update on its endless beta period and I've seen it posted all over the internet with people going raving mad over it. It baffles me.
And don't tell me it's because I've never played Minecraft, because I have. And I thought it was stupid, pointless drivel. The biggest waste of 3 hours I've ever had. To give you some perspective on that statement, I've read large portions of the Bible.
But that's just my opinion, you don't have to take note of it. I just thought I'd get it out there.
G_G's a silly boy.

G_G

September 11, 2011, 10:45:04 am #4 Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 10:46:37 am by game_guy
Quote from: Twb6543 on September 10, 2011, 11:18:12 am
I got it on friday when Mojang started to host it on their website, It's quite buggy at the moment through.

Mojang pre-released it for testing.

So far I have only seen 1 new biome and just about all the items (TMI got patched for the pre-release).

Haven't seen any of the new mobs (also watch out for the stone block without a name(it breaks easily with your hand), it releases silverfish but I currently haven't found any).

Actually the creator of TMI released a Pre-Release patch that works just fine. I've been using it without any issues.

@Pacman: I love minecraft. But I don't whore over it. Its a sandbox game. I don't really care for sandbox games and its really there for when I get bored. It can be fun and it really depends on what you're play style is.

Twb6543

@G_G :???: I never said I had any issues...  :???:

Its just that I only seen one new biome.

@AngryPacman Minecraft is about Community and Freedom, comparing something that is supposed to be free and creative against a RTS makes no real sense (Also I have heard about Achron but never got a chance to play it due to them having no sort of demo that I can find).
If you put a million monkeys at a million keyboards, one of them will eventually write a Java program.

G_G

Quote(TMI got patched for the pre-release).

The creator of TMI released a patch for the pre-release.

Twb6543

That is what I meant.

Quote(TMI got

TMI was

Quotepatched for the pre-release

patched = Updated by the creator
patched to 1.8pr

TMI was Updated by the creator (Patched) to 1.8pr

G_G

Ah. Sorry totally misread that. >.<

AngryPacman

@G_g, that's okay. It's not people like you who frustrate me. It's the people who actively try to make me play Minecraft and can't get their heads around the fact that I just don't like it.
G_G's a silly boy.

Twb6543

September 12, 2011, 02:40:25 pm #10 Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 10:32:54 am by Twb6543
Just a small notice

Minecraft 1.8 PreRelease was updated with bug fixes

The two official links to server and client are below:

Minecraft Client
http://assets.minecraft.net/1_8-pre2/minecraft.jar

Minecraft Server
http://assets.minecraft.net/1_8-pre2/minecraft_server.jar

Topic for general discussion can be found here on Minecraft Forums.

SBR*

Quote from: AngryPacman on September 11, 2011, 10:30:06 am
I do not understand the fuss about Minecraft. It's a sandbox game with no objective and horrendous 'hipster' graphics. The concept of the game isn't what gets me the most; it's the fandom. And this topic proves that point completely.
Using an example, Achron - a game being developed as the first meta-RTS game (that is, time traveling) - and comparing it to Minecraft, we can see the headache-inducing non-shutupiness of most Minecraft addicts, or as they affectionately call themselves, 'fans'. Achron Beta was released a couple of months ago, I didn't see any topic. A game with actual storyline, objective, graphics, NEW gameplay ideas and an innovative new genre being implemented gets boosted up a peg on its development, and nobody takes notice.
But Minecraft, the aforementioned recycled pointless sandbox waste of time, receives an update on its endless beta period and I've seen it posted all over the internet with people going raving mad over it. It baffles me.
And don't tell me it's because I've never played Minecraft, because I have. And I thought it was stupid, pointless drivel. The biggest waste of 3 hours I've ever had. To give you some perspective on that statement, I've read large portions of the Bible.
But that's just my opinion, you don't have to take note of it. I just thought I'd get it out there.

It's funny, as the people who piss me off, are the ones saying MC is 'bad', not saying that they dislike MC XD.

But anyway, like G_G said, to fully enjoy MC, you have to be able to have fun doing things without assignments and missions. Not everybody likes that, just like not everybody likes FPS's (like me, buh, FPS's >:().

Still, I sometimes find myself trying to convince somebody MC really is fun. Well, I do that, if somebody is just saying MC is a 'waste of time'. I mean, come on. Every single videogame is a waste of time XD.

G_G

September 13, 2011, 09:45:56 am #12 Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 09:47:13 am by game_guy

SBR*

Oh god, another delay. Damn you, Jeb, work faster >:(.

G_G

September 13, 2011, 11:31:10 am #14 Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 01:21:53 pm by game_guy
Quote from: SBR* on September 13, 2011, 11:04:08 am
Oh god, another delay. Damn you, Jeb, work faster >:(.

Sure, and then we end up with things like this.
http://twitter.com/#!/BGeertman/status/113629398829244416/photo/1/large

SBR*

G_G

1.8 is officially out now. Just run the launcher and it should ask you to update. Assuming you're using the newer launcher and not the one before 1.3 releases.

stripe103

Actually, I am using the older launcher(because it is most of the times able to log in when the new one is not) and it works just perfectly.

G_G

It works fine yes but for whatever reason I have to delete minecraft.jar in order for it to download.

G_G

*double posts*
I just found out that Minecraft 1.8 officially supports HD Texture packs. However, you will still need the HD Texture Patch if you use animated textures.
Official HD Patcher - Also acts as a mod installer/manager.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/232701-181-mcpatcher-hd-fix-211/