"Beyond Epic" Game Mode

Started by Blizzard, September 14, 2011, 12:40:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lobstrosity

Hooray, this is still a thing. Also, strange timing. I was thinking about this game earlier today.
Don't come any closer. I'm armed... with SCIENCE!

Blizzard

I beat CP again a couple of weeks back and since then I had to urge to work on it a bit. Which is why I am doing exactly that, lol!
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

MarkHest

I am so hyped for this to come out! :haha:

Blizzard

January 08, 2016, 09:29:30 am #63 Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 09:36:11 am by Blizzard
Aaaaand update. I finished all maps last summer I think and now I am slowly working on the cutscenes. Once they are done, only puzzles and battle balance + skills remains. >:3

Also, here's a mega spoiler that will require you to change your pants.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Too bad Leximus is poisoned and you can't see his Meta-State "Annihilating" which is exactly what he is about to do.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

MarkHest

Kaiph

I might be a little wet. Any idea when this will be or is there still too much to do to say?

Blizzard

It's more of a question when I have time than how much work is left to do. I'd guess about 100 hours of work is left.

Kaiph

I understand what you mean. Social life and work mean I can't spend as much time on my own game as I'd like to.

Blizzard

Today I did almost all of the items on my to-do list that I had to do because of the switch to XPA and 60 FPS. I also finished the last cutscene in the second dungeon. That means that 2 more dungeons and the final boss remain. After that comes balancing actor power and enemies, then bosses and finally tweaking, tuning and some minor additional stuff. I'll probably poke a few people to beta test the whole thing, including the base game due to the switch to XPA. Once that's done, CP v2.0 will be released!

G_G

I can't wait to play this game in XPA. That sweet buttery smoothness.

Blizzard

March 27, 2016, 02:23:32 am #70 Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 11:46:50 am by Blizzard
I actually did the third dungeon and all cutscenes leading up to it yesterday. :3 I want to finish a few cutscenes today as well.

EDIT: Holy shit, I finished the fourth dungeon. xD And I also added an awesome boss transition which I now totally want to add to the main game. Think FF9 and you'll know what I mean. xD Now only a few more battles and the final battle cutscene are left. I am so excited. :3

Also:

EDIT: Seriously though. FF9-style transition or the screen-breaking thing? ._. Should I just keep the screen-breaking thing in the main game? The FF9 transition is so much prettier, but the screen-breaking looks cooler.

orochii

I want to play the game that gives (or takes?) the name to this place xD!

Blizzard

Well, the game's technically already been out for 6 years. xD I'm just adding new content. You could call it an expansion.

G_G

I'd say keep the screen breaking for the original and use the FF9 style for the new stuff.

Blizzard

March 28, 2016, 12:06:37 pm #74 Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 12:08:13 pm by Blizzard
I actually have another dilemma. Should I go with a "good" ending? I mean I have two ideas for the ending. Each has a different philosophical impact. There's isn't really a good or bad ending there. It's more like "paragon" and "renegade" like in Mass Effect.
And I have the option of "returning everything to normal" in some sense so I'm playing with that idea. While I think it can give some closure, I am kind of undoing the ending in the normal game. But yet again, I am already undoing that ending simply by making the story of BE mode so a "returning everything to normal" probably forces itself into it and it might be unnatural to not make it end that way.

Blizzard

April 01, 2016, 05:46:27 pm #75 Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 09:39:35 am by Blizzard
*bump*

Question still remains. ._.

Also, I finished the cutscene leading up to the final battle. Now only the cutscene part after that remains and some outro. :3

EDIT:

Screw it, I went with the more straightforward version and just brought things to an end.

Also, that means that I'm done with the cutscenes. :3 Now only skill balancing, setting up Rivy as actor properly, enemy balancing, boss balancing and scripting/eventing, some minor misc stuff and testing remains. Holy shit! That's probably less than 50 hours of work left! :D Beyond Epic is close to being finished! :D

EDIT:

Oh, I also forgot to mention that I went with a somewhat different audio selection than I posted previously in the topic. I did use some tracks from here for some other things though and they fit pretty nicely.

G_G

Unnnnghghghghg My body is ready.

Blizzard

Here's another screenshot. :3 It's a liiiiiittle bit of a spoiler.

Can you recognize the person standing opposed to the party? :naughty:

Blizzard

May 15, 2016, 03:08:11 pm #78 Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 03:14:38 pm by Blizzard
*bump*

Sooooo... I was thinking about giving the final boss 100 million HP (which is a hundred times more than Nemesis'), but I realized that the party may deal significantly more damage due to the stat changes that will happen during the story. <_<; While technically the max. level will be ten times higher, the final stats will be about 15 times higher (compare level 1000 to about level 70 in the normal game) and there are also the weapons which will be about 20-30 times stronger than the best ones in the normal games. So hacking away at 100 million HP might be a lot faster than the 1 million HP Nemesis had. >.< I kind of want a round number, but 1 billion might be a tad too much. Maybe I should just go with 666,666,666 HP, because fuck it. xD Thoughts? I could also artificially boost the party so 1 billion works fine. Or maybe the 1 billion is just perfect for a final, epic half-hour battle that will test the limits of your skills.

EDIT: Ok, I just dealt 7 million damage using the Lexima Drive skill. <_<; Maybe 1 billion is actually too little.

orochii

Maybe make the final boss HP and other statistics scale depending on the player's levels and stuff? Kind of like how Sephiroth worked in Final Fantasy 7.

---

If you deal 10 million damage each turn, the battle will last 100 turns with 1 billion of HP. That is, if each of these turns you deal that much damage, I don't know if there is any restriction to the Lexima Drive skill or if there is other potential damage dealers that could replicate that same damage.

Is 100 turns enough for your 30 minutes battle? (which I consider masochist but whatever xD).