[XP] Tons of Add-ons

Started by Blizzard, January 09, 2008, 08:50:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

I uploaded v5.39 of STCMS. Now it should work.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

eccomancer

Quote from: Blizzard on June 24, 2009, 05:46:32 pm
I uploaded v5.39 of STCMS. Now it should work.

Hey Thanx so much  :) it works now!

refering back to my previous question is it possible to have a menu that shows weapons and armour and their learnable skills (using the EQUAP_SKILLS script)? I dont really know anything about scripting so any help would be much appeciated. Maybe even under the equip menu one can have the skills that the character will learn from the given equipment. Maybe even toggle menus so it works with the StormTronics CMS? i.e. have the layout of the StormTronics CMS (show all the attributes on the left side, equipment on the right hand side) but also have a toggle function so that you can toggle between the attributes and the skills (e.g. how much the weapon increases a certain attribute and then press the toggle button and one can then view what skills that weapon would offer when equpied) maybe even show added skills in Blue/Green (if you equip the weapon) and show lost skills in red (by unequiping the previous weapon, if you did not learn all the skills from that weapon).

That way if a person is using the StormTronics CMS they can disable/enable the toggle function if they are/ or are not using the EQUAP_SKILLS  part of the Tons of Add-ons script?

Sorry I know you guys are extremely busy with other things, but if this could at least be considered  :)

Blizzard

I avoided doing that because it would complicate the script and make it much less compatible with CMS-es. You have descriptions for the equipment parts, use them.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

eccomancer

:)

Ok, i understand- Thank you very much for all the help.

omegapirate2000

I don't know about the rest of you, but I managed to separate the tons of addons scripts and kept it to only the few I needed, and now the HP consuming works well enough for me, so I think I'm going to finish up the very last bit of chapter 2 and release that... probably by the end of the week.
Spoiler: ShowHide

Blizzard

Quote from: Blizzard on January 09, 2008, 08:50:47 am
Author's Notes

Tons of Add-ons now has to be used as 3-parts script because of a weird behavior of RMXP during bug detection. Insert the 3 parts in the correct order and the system should work without problems. Do NOT remove any of the parts, the script NEEDS all 3 parts to work with other systems.

These add-ons were mostly tested in a different environment or not at all.

If you find any bugs, please report them here:
http://forum.chaos-project.com

That's it! N-Joy! =D

omegapirate2000

Quote from: Blizzard on July 15, 2009, 04:15:22 pm
Quote from: Blizzard on January 09, 2008, 08:50:47 am
Author's Notes

Tons of Add-ons now has to be used as 3-parts script because of a weird behavior of RMXP during bug detection. Insert the 3 parts in the correct order and the system should work without problems. Do NOT remove any of the parts, the script NEEDS all 3 parts to work with other systems.

These add-ons were mostly tested in a different environment or not at all.

If you find any bugs, please report them here:
http://forum.chaos-project.com

That's it! N-Joy! =D

Is it not allowed? Or just not recommended? The way I've done it was to take the initialize part and only put the ones of the scripts I'm using in there, and also the attr_accessor parts for the scripts, and place it in the first script, then place all other tons scripts in their own script under the first one where I have the initializing stuff.

The only reason I did that was because my game was having problems with the full package, even with everything set to false  :^_^':

Starrodkirby86

It's not recommended. If there's a problem related to your scripts, we might not be able to help considering you already fragmented a lot of the Tons of Add-Ons, which might be involved in any of those...

Of course, it may not be allowed...haha...but it's definitely not recommended~

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

omegapirate2000

As I said, my only reason for fragmenting it is that it caused problems with my other scripts even when no addons were activated.

The scripts in my game are always in some kind of delicate balancing act.

Blizzard

July 16, 2009, 04:24:52 am #409 Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 04:29:02 am by Blizzard
Then you should have posted so the problem gets fixed. What makes you think that it was Tons' fault? I have come across numerous scripts that mess up Tons. You don't delete parts of other scripts either, do you? "OMG, that script just caused an error! I'll just delete the line that is causing the error!" Yeah, right.
Really deleting add-ons from Tons of Add-ons should only be done if it's practically the best solution to do this. I have told several people already to delete the caterpillar script because they had a major conflict with another script. But that is only one controlled add-on that isn't necessary in any other scripts. But you don't just randomly remove any add-on you like. I can almost guarantee that you will come across errors if using some of my other scripts. It's not just recommended to use the entire script, it's VERY RECOMMENDED. i.e. If you deleted the HP/SP/EXP bar script, you can completely mess up several of my other other scripts including CRLS, EOS and Blizz-ABS.

omegapirate2000

July 16, 2009, 02:10:36 pm #410 Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 02:14:49 pm by omegapirate2000
Quote from: Blizzard on July 16, 2009, 04:24:52 am
Then you should have posted so the problem gets fixed. What makes you think that it was Tons' fault?

I didn't presume it was the fault of the script (in fact, the reason I didn't post in this thread about the problems I was having was because I knew tons wasn't exactly the source of the issues), there were problems when I had the entire collection of scripts, then I took only the ones I needed, and there were no more problems. I don't see the issue here, as I likely won't be using CRLS, EOS, or Blizz ABS in my game at this point, and a conflict with those scripts won't be an issue (and hasn't so far with some of your other scripts I'm using like the party switcher and the reflection status).

The addons I've used thus far are as follows.

Shaded Text
Centered Battler
Better Tilemap Update
Caterpillar
Screen Tremble
And the HP drain skills script

I might use more later on, but all relevant credits will be given, even for authors whos scripts are part of tons that I didn't use.

winkio

Lesson to be learned:  The more you mess with other people's code, the more error-prone and the less compatible it gets.

Blizzard

July 18, 2009, 07:02:22 am #412 Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 11:29:17 am by Blizzard
Alright. If you can run it all without problem, then you're lucky. winkio pretty much already said what I was going to say. The only thing that I can add is that you shouldn't be surprised if you start getting weird errors, that's all. You need to be careful with stuff like that if you don't really know what you're doing (as in: you're not a scripter).

EDIT: v7.31b is out. It now has the best Input module for RMXP there is. >:3

Rose Guardian

These add ons are very cool and useful, but I cannot get the full screen add on to work no matter what I do for some reason. Do you know why it may not be working or help me figure out why?

Darok

Maybe you are trying in debug. I think that only work in .exe >_<

Fantasist

July 21, 2009, 07:25:05 am #415 Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 09:00:02 am by Fantasist
Nice job on the Input module Blizz :) FINALLY an Input.release? function for the RMXP Input module. I'm not really concerned with the language layout, but I'm sure I'll soon realize it's importance. *levels up*

EDIT: wow! I've taken a look at the implementation and I see you got rid of arrays! I've started working on a key simulator addon for your Input module and that's when I realized this. I've seen this implementation in one of the PyGame libraries. I've tested this and it causes NO lag whatsoever, the game runs at 38-40 FPS.

PS: Say, are you planning to implement this into CP and release an update? (Pretty please? :shy:)
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Blizzard

Quote from: Fantasist on July 21, 2009, 07:25:05 am
FINALLY an Input.release? function for the RMXP Input module.

I tell you, I was THIS close to remove it again. xD But I guess I can make use of it in Blizz-ABS when implementing the combo system.

Quote from: Fantasist on July 21, 2009, 07:25:05 amI'm not really concerned with the language layout, but I'm sure I'll soon realize it's importance. *levels up*

Direct text input like in RMX-OS. :P

EDIT: wow! I've taken a look at the implementation and I see you got rid of arrays! I've started working on a key simulator addon for your Input module and that's when I realized this. I've seen this implementation in one of the PyGame libraries. I've tested this and it causes NO lag whatsoever, the game runs at 38-40 FPS. *levels up again*

Yeah, I figured that I should use fixed size arrays. It might take some more memory, but it's faster because no resizing of arrays is necessary and checking a key has a complexity of O(1) instead of O(size_of_array). It's not like the arrays were big, but still.

PS: Say, are you planning to implement this into CP and release an update? (Pretty please? :shy:)

Maybe. I don't think it currently checks for the keyboard layout properly. In any case not before Beta 2 because the next planned release is Beta 2.

Quote from: Rose Guardian on July 20, 2009, 06:14:02 pm
These add ons are very cool and useful, but I cannot get the full screen add on to work no matter what I do for some reason. Do you know why it may not be working or help me figure out why?

What Darok said. If it still won't work, are you sure that you turned it on?

Fantasist

QuoteI tell you, I was THIS close to remove it again. xD But I guess I can make use of it in Blizz-ABS when implementing the combo system.

But c'mon! it's pretty useful!

QuoteYeah, I figured that I should use fixed size arrays. It might take some more memory, but it's faster because no resizing of arrays is necessary and checking a key has a complexity of O(1) instead of O(size_of_array). It's not like the arrays were big, but still.

Yeah, more memory is a good trade-off for the speed boost in this case.

btw, I have a question for the key simulator addon. What exactly is the nature of elements in @state? For now, I simulated keys by setting @triggred[key]=true, etc, but to evaluate them, the @state & DOWN_STATE_MASK are checked, right? The values when keys are 128, 129 and 1. What do they mean? If I set @state[key] to 128 along with @triggered[key]=true, is that the right way of doing it?
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

Blizzard

July 21, 2009, 09:48:27 am #418 Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 09:50:45 am by Blizzard
Quote from: Fantasist on July 21, 2009, 09:15:20 am
btw, I have a question for the key simulator addon. What exactly is the nature of elements in @state? For now, I simulated keys by setting @triggred[key]=true, etc, but to evaluate them, the @state & DOWN_STATE_MASK are checked, right? The values when keys are 128, 129 and 1. What do they mean? If I set @state[key] to 128 along with @triggered[key]=true, is that the right way of doing it?

@state is a string of length 256. Each byte represents the state of one virtual key. It is passed as argument to GetKeyboardState which then writes the keyboard state as an array of 256 bytes. Since a string actually represents a series of bytes, it's usually used for this purpose.
"@state[key] & DOWN_STATE_MASK" applies masking of the bits on one given byte (the key'th byte of the string state) using 0x80 (DOWN_STATE_MASK, maybe I should have called it DOWN_STATE_BIT_MASK). When the 7th bit is set to 1, then the key is down, otherwise it's up. As for the 0th bit, it indicates the toggle state of a key (like CAPS LOCK). I didn't check for the 0th bit as toggling doesn't concern me.

QuoteWhen the function returns, each member of the array pointed to by the lpKeyState parameter contains status data for a virtual key. If the high-order bit is 1, the key is down; otherwise, it is up. If the key is a toggle key, for example CAPS LOCK, then the low-order bit is 1 when the key is toggled and is 0 if the key is untoggled. The low-order bit is meaningless for non-toggle keys. A toggle key is said to be toggled when it is turned on. A toggle key's indicator light (if any) on the keyboard will be on when the key is toggled, and off when the key is untoggled.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms646299(VS.85).aspx

And yes, using "@triggered[key] = true" would pretty much activate the trigger key for one update loop. It had to be called as soon as possible after Input.update, though. Keep in mind that this doesn't really press the keyboard key on an OS level, but rather it only simulates that the key was pressed only in RMXP.

Fantasist

That helped, thanks Blizz :)