Muse

Started by AliveDrive, September 19, 2011, 02:56:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AliveDrive

I'm a pretty big fan of Muse, and I always thought they certain songs of theirs sounded kind of Queen-esque.

I'm also a pretty big Queen fan.

Then they released their fifth album title The Resistance and I haven't had a chance to buy it yet, but while looking for previews of some of the tracks I found this little gem.

http://stereogum.com/?p=080181

And I'm just not sure what all the fuss is about. Queen was a great band, and so is Muse.

What are your thoughts?
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

Power Hungry Midget

This is the first time I've heard someone compare Muse and Queen... I mean United States of Eurasia does sound queenesque... but all of their earlier stuff is much heavier..punker then anything queen released.
Definitely get Resistance, it's been out a while. Obviously bands will have similarities and sometimes will sound very similar. But Muse have released a lot of music and this is the first time I've noticed anything similar. This is like when people started bashing coldplay for copying some song and was just arpeggios or something silly. Arpeggio.
I'm a huge Muse fan as well!

The plot thickens......

I have a mind to join a club and then beat you over the head with it.
     -Groucho Marx
I often quote myself. I find it adds spice to the conversation.
     -George Bernard Shaw

http://xkcd.com/303

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.
    -Oscar Wilde

Subsonic_Noise

A bit off-topic, but I'm currently doing a cover of Undisclosed Desires off "the Resistance", and I can tell you: while this album is very different from the "usual" muse, you'll love it.

winkio

That one song posted is a definite tribute to Queen, both stylistically and based on the content.  That said, of course people are going to make a big deal about it because they have nothing better to do.

AliveDrive

I've loved most every song by Muse, even if not at first.

I eventually gave them all a fair chance and guess what happened? I liked it!

OoS was not my favorite album at first but now I find myself playing it quite often.

I could copy comments from the site but I'll just bring up one song: Knights of Cydonia. That, to me has a very Queen sound to it. But not everyone might think so.

I agree that not every song has a Queen feel, I was just taking the argument to this site to see what rational individuals thought. :P

I'm just so glad there's ACTUAL music being made again.

@Sub, I just so happen to like good covers, internationally known or not. So keep me posted.
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

Blizzard

I didn't listen to the stuff, but if it's somewhat similar to Queen, I might recommend it to a couple of people I know since they listen to this kind of music.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

AliveDrive

I would recommend Absolution and they should be hooked from there.