inspiration?

Started by GasolineWaltz, September 22, 2011, 10:12:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GasolineWaltz

So, I guess I've hit a roadblock with programming.

I used to dabble with coding back in high school, I've always been interested in writing programs etc... But I really started to learn with Ruby, first as a means to write RMXP scripts and then just to learn the language. Then, I switched over to C++ (which I was familiar with) and started to re-learn the fundamentals. Everybody says that it's difficult to go from a dynamic language to C++, but I'm not having a hard time with it. So, I'm in this class right now (Object Oriented Design in C++, has nothing to do with my major) that I tested into and it's interesting. It's it's fun to code stacks and make linked lists and delve into the technical details, but I need a practical project that I can work on.

Writing an emulator has been on my mind for a while, but I don't even know where to begin...

Kind of a broad topic I understand if nobody has anything for me. Any ideas?

ForeverZer0

Personally, I try to make programs when I can't find another program that does it how I want. I have a dozen little programs on my PC that I use that are customized to do little routines how I like them. Sometimes they are slight improvement to an existing program, and other times they are a whole new creation (though usually these are really only useful for personal use).

Point is, pick something that you are unhappy with or that you can think of ways to improve it, then code it. I started by creating configuration apps for some of my scripts to make setting them up easier, automating certain tasks on my own PC, etc.  I write little apps for nearly everything on my PC that I don't like to do manually. For example, I have a huge script that I want to remove all white space and comments from.  Instead of doing it manually, I spend 5 minutes and make a little program to do it for me, then I have it for next time as well. 

I imagine by the nature of your post you are referring to something larger-scale than that. I think an emulator is pretty big project to start, so if you have some good ideas, that will definitely keep you busy for a while. What sort of emulator do you want to create?  The first step to any project like that would be to fully understand all the details of how the original works, so if you don't know that, do some research and tinker with it until you do.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

GasolineWaltz

Yeah I'm leaning toward a larger scale thing, I guess. I've seen some of you're configuration apps, which rock btw. The reason I've been thinking about emu programming is that it seems like such a massive task, and even though I can imagine how bits and pieces are done, the coding process as a whole is a bit mystifying to me...

There are a couple of great/scary resources for coding an NES emulator, but even the NES is still a pretty huge task.

Blizzard

You are going out of your league with the emulator thing. It's almost as if you would go about coding a whole game engine to be used like a game maker. Do some simpler stuff first.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

GasolineWaltz

:shy: yeeaah I know... I think that's why I'm so obsessed with the idea.

Blizzard

You should definitely stick to the idea. One day you will be able to accomplish it. At one point a few years ago I was thinking of making an RPG Maker, but I knew that I wasn't good enough yet back then. And look now, ARC is nearing completion. xD But for now you have to know your place and tackle the challenges that you actually can accomplish. With time you will be able to work on more complex and more difficult projects.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

ideally each new project you work on should be just outside your comfort zone so that you learn something new while creating it.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />