DM Got a copyright claim

Started by Spaceman McConaughey, September 26, 2011, 12:33:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceman McConaughey

Spoiler: ShowHide

Bullshit. Over one video they barely owned a fraction of.

Ryex

Please tell me that button was real and not photoshoped.

also what video was the claim made on?
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

ForeverZer0

For what video? Why are you breaking the law?! Quit being a criminal.

EDIT:
I was wondering about the button myself. What kinda of official email is that if its real, lol.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

G_G

*claps*
I got a copyright strike on my old channel within the first week. Used copyrighted music. I suggest you take it off if you want our channel to go anywhere.

Spaceman McConaughey

September 26, 2011, 01:16:30 am #4 Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 01:18:35 am by Tuggernuts
It got automatically disabled when they filed the claim.

So, apparently no more uploading anything that contains even a bit of Pokemon. Amazing how Nintendo doesn't care about me uploading their original characters in videos, but if one of them has Ash from the TV Show, these guys go nuts. Amazing.

Also, I photoshopped the button to help relieve some anger.

And the video was an HD recording of this:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/432427

The only part that was a no-no, I guess, was the scene that had Ash in it. Bleh.

Ryex

wow, that flash movie has been around for a long time... in-fact that ash was an original drawing in a PARODY! see? DMCA being abuseed once again to remove something that is clearly fair use.

too bad about the button being shopped, I would of loved it if google had that sense of humor :P
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Spaceman McConaughey

September 26, 2011, 01:33:55 am #6 Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 01:35:26 am by Tuggernuts
Quote from: Me on shoutboxI wasn't the even the only one who uploaded that video... hell, some people uploaded JUST the Pokemon part of it... and these guys haven't done a thing to them.

Adding quote for the hell of it.

And yeah, it pisses me off people can abuse such systems.

And I, too, would be in love with them even more if they had humor like that, as well.

Blizzard

You know, fair use is a tricky thing. There is "actual fair use" (e.g. for educational purposes) and "assumed fair use". If you make some fan stuff, this is assumed fair use and isn't really protected by copyright law. You can technically continue if nobody sends you a DMCA, but you are not really protected. ._. That goes even for parodies. It's really a messed up world out there.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Spaceman McConaughey

Fuck yeah it's a messed up world.

stripe103

The world isn't fucked up. Most politicians in it are though..

Zeriab

Like they are even going to check for whether fair use is applicable or not.
They could perfectly fine just do a copyright infringement claim => automatic deletion.
You probably have given them rights to delete your videos as they wishes.

Spaceman McConaughey

Bleh, I guess so.

Quote from: stripe103 on September 26, 2011, 05:01:12 pm
The world isn't fucked up. Most politicians in it are though..

So things like murder, war, rape, natural disasters, and terrorist organizations(and much more) don't exist to make the world fucked up?

Stay on topic please.

Ryex

it's easier for google to just comply with claim and disable the video than try to determine if the claim is real. sound business.

you can submit a counter claim and if you sucked get the video back up, but i've never heard of that happening.

ForeverZer0

If you sucked...?!
I do hope I am missing some type of context with that last sentence.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Spaceman McConaughey

September 26, 2011, 07:32:01 pm #14 Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:33:03 pm by Tuggernuts
Quote from: Ryex on September 26, 2011, 07:25:24 pm
it's easier for google to just comply with claim and disable the video than try to determine if the claim is real. sound business.

you can submit a counter claim and if you sucked get the video back up, but i've never heard of that happening.

I've already completely deleted the video just now, anyways. To be honest, I am still pissed off about the fact these are on YouTube, and safe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUlAxgSVBxY (just the Pokemon scene only)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ymUzrNTBQ&feature=related (the whole video like I uploaded, including the Pokemon scene in it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RP5a6BqS4U (The Pokemon scene reversed and sped up)

And of course, there's way more than those. And it brings me to the conclusion that these guys are just looking out to piss off random people who use "their" stuff, since I am the only one(or, known person so far) who got it for using that video. If otherwise, all of these videos would have been removed almost instantly like mine. Fucking bullshit.

ForeverZer0

Its not really "bullshit". Stupid as the law may be, it is a law, and breaking it means that you are risking to have to pay the consequences for it, which are minor in this case.  Just because someone else does the same thing and does not get in trouble does not take away from the fact that you did. 

Just because someone else doesn't get caught stealing is not an excuse for you to not be punished for stealing.  I'm not suggesting you are stealing or anything, its just an analogy. I understand your frustration, but just look at the simple action <=> reaction: You posted it "illegally" and were caught. Don't let yourself become angry over what someone else may or may not be getting in trouble for. The only thing that matters is that you did, and all you have to do is delete a video and move on, its no reason to get worked up over.

Spaceman McConaughey

Zeriab

Erhm... ForeverZer0, you can't really know whether it broke the law or not. It is not particular clear cut because of fair use.
Parodies are tricky, but courts do favor them sometimes and assuming Tuggernuts have the copyrights to the drawings (whether they infringe trademark/designs/etc or not) I would put my bet on fair use. The only question is whether the brutality, or more likely, boobs (even though they were only applied) count against.

So is it really illegal or not?

Not that it really matters since I am sure google have the rights to disable your video even without giving any reason.

*hugs*

ForeverZer0

The point of the was really if the law was broken in the strict definition of the word. Google saying to remove it may has well be in this situation. Sure he could fight it, but why even bother for a situation so trivial?

Blizzard

Well said, F0. Google did reserve the right to take down your video without reason actually. If they want to protect themselves from copyright problems by removing a hosted video that may infringe copyright, then they have the right to do so. They could have even taken the video down and not notified you about it. Of course, they would want to prevent you from uploading it again so they sent you that notice. Don't kill yourself over a matter as trivial as this. Shit happens. You should rather be happy that life is not fair because that means that you can change the situation to your advantage as well.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.